Texas Hunting Forum

Parasites in living deer

Posted By: Olson75

Parasites in living deer - 12/12/17 07:13 PM

Buddy was cleaning a cull buck this past Saturday when I was leaving the lease. Removed the head and found what appeared to be living maggots inside the the neck/throat area. Has anyone ever experienced this? Hunter took several pictures to send to our MLD biologist. Lease is between Kerville and Junction. Deer didn't look unhealthy from a wound or weight standpoint. Any experience with this?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Parasites in living deer - 12/12/17 07:13 PM

Nasal Bots. Completely harmless.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Parasites in living deer - 12/12/17 07:14 PM

Nasal bots, no health risk. Extremely common
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Parasites in living deer - 12/12/17 07:17 PM

If people only knew the parasites that commonly feed on humans.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Parasites in living deer - 12/12/17 07:37 PM

They sure are nasty lookin though
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Parasites in living deer - 12/12/17 07:42 PM

They sure are, red. If anyone ever sees a deer shaking it's head and sneezing a bunch, they're expelling bots, which mature into flies.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Parasites in living deer - 12/12/17 07:49 PM

Called in and killed a nice 8pt that was trying to get rid of those Nasal bots one afternoon. his sneezing and blowing let me know he was there in the woods about 100 yards away. A few grunt calls and he came in and died at 15 yards.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Parasites in living deer - 12/14/17 04:54 PM

Soon as the head starts to cool, they will crawl out.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Parasites in living deer - 12/14/17 05:37 PM

Yep seen it quite a few times, no big deal
Posted By: clu

Re: Parasites in living deer - 12/15/17 02:55 PM

Well I learned something today. In my 37 years of hunting I have never heard of nor seen these.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Parasites in living deer - 12/15/17 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: clu
Well I learned something today. In my 37 years of hunting I have never heard of nor seen these.

If you saw the head off and let it be you may never see them. I have done many European mounts, cleaning the skin/flesh off the head removing lower jaw etc. you will find them on almost every deer, at least I do.

If you dove hunt pay attention to their guts when you breast one out, they will have worms in them too.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Parasites in living deer - 12/15/17 03:53 PM

Completely harmless. Probably every deer in the state of Texas has them. Ever seen a deer shake it's head from side to side? They are trying to shake out the bots from their sinuses. Save them and use them for fishing bait.
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Parasites in living deer - 12/15/17 08:16 PM

bouncethey bottle those in tequila in MX!! bolt
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum