Texas Hunting Forum

How to implement a management program

Posted By: jskin

How to implement a management program - 12/11/17 04:50 PM

We want to implement a management program on the new lease. Just looking for tips, suggestions, and know how. We have started this year by taking off a few culls, that's the extent of it thus far. We are planning to supplemental feed after the season. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: jskin

Re: How to implement a management program - 12/11/17 04:50 PM

And we have roughly 5000 acres in Dickens county.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: How to implement a management program - 12/11/17 05:14 PM

I'd reach out to the TPWD technical guidance biologist for that area as a starting point.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: How to implement a management program - 12/11/17 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: jskin
And we have roughly 5000 acres in Dickens county.

Herd survey first.
Establish Carrying Capacity
Then set harvest criteria.
Basically work toward an MLD program,

Dickens has some big deer.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: How to implement a management program - 12/11/17 05:17 PM

^^^ Sounds like a good idea to me.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: How to implement a management program - 12/11/17 05:29 PM

Honestly if you want bigger bucks start by not shooting anything with potential under 6 six years old. That area has so much potential even without protein. They just need to grow. A seven year old buck in that area will made a man happy
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: How to implement a management program - 12/11/17 05:44 PM

I'm sure you do but having the right men for it is the first thing!
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: How to implement a management program - 12/11/17 05:53 PM

I would be careful with the supplemental feeding. I don't know your budget, but what do you think it would cost to make a difference on a 5k property? Also if you had unlimited money to spend, there is the risk of building the deer population up to a point where the land can not carry it. I think if you manage the hunters, by agreed upon harvest guidelines, and manage the habit to the extent you can, you will be better off.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: How to implement a management program - 12/11/17 07:44 PM

Depends on how complicated you want to get. We eyeball it where I hunt in King County and our B/D ratios are about 2:1; however our 8 pt or less to 8 pt + ratios are about 6:1 so we are shooting every 3.5 yr old or older 8 point or less buck we come across and then taking a doe for every buck. We supplemental feed, but it's expensive and I'm not sold yet as to the effectiveness in an uncontrolled habitat which in our case is defined by no high fence, big limited or non hunting neighbors, etc... What I am seeing is many of our early season target trophy caliber bucks are leaving the property once they've shed velvet and don't return, if at all, until after the season. So basically we're feeding some good deer that don't hang around for hunting season. Now that's all part of the program when feeding free range deer and if you can afford it, no big deal, you know what your in for; but if you're on a budget, I wouldn't supplemental feed. You can manage pretty effectively by limiting your herd and allowing your genetically superior bucks to reach old(er) age. Sadly, our biggest problem seems to be not killing enough deer. Generations of non management is a challenge to overcome. MLD will help with this problem if you have the time and an owner that will implement it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum