Texas Hunting Forum

A Texas trophy

Posted By: rickym

A Texas trophy - 12/04/17 04:20 PM

Now I completely understand the many differences in hunting areas across the state. Taking what you know, what would be the average Texas low fence trophy. My guess would be a 4.5-5.5 year old- 135 inch 10 point. While theres plenty of places producing 150 6.5 year old 10 points, theres just as many if not more who consider a 110 3.5 year old 8 point a trophy.
So what do you say is THE AVERAGE TEXAS TROPHY?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/04/17 04:36 PM

Trophy is in the eye of the beholder, and to me varies some by location.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/04/17 04:57 PM

I'm only after mature 5+ yr old deer no matter where I hunt, but a "trophy" depends on the lease or area I'm hunting. I hunt 2 leases in different counties, about 60 miles apart. On one lease I regularly let 130 class bucks walk, waiting for something around 150. On the other lease if a 120 shows up I wouldn't think twice about it, I'd gladly take him.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/04/17 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
Now I completely understand the many differences in hunting areas across the state. Taking what you know, what would be the average Texas low fence trophy. My guess would be a 4.5-5.5 year old- 135 inch 10 point. While theres plenty of places producing 150 6.5 year old 10 points, theres just as many if not more who consider a 110 3.5 year old 8 point a trophy.
So what do you say?

I think you're assessment is right on. 30 years ago, the average mature deer in south Texas had 9 points and scored 125.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/04/17 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
So what do you say?

I think you're assessment is right on. 30 years ago, the average mature deer in south Texas had 9 points and scored 125.

Given the Golden Triangle has been talked about for at least 40-50 years, I would have thought the average, for MATURE bucks, was better than that.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/04/17 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
So what do you say?

Given the Golden Triangle has been talked about for at least 40-50 years, I would have thought the average, for MATURE bucks, was better than that.

Depends on how the ranch has been continuously culled out. If the average type deer don’t make it to maturity they aren’t counted in the average.

If you heavily cull to only raise the exception deer, your mature deer could average 160. Yes non heavy cull programs 125 is spot on from my experience

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/04/17 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
So what do you say?

Depends on how the ranch has been continuously culled out. If the average type deer don’t make it to maturity they aren’t counted in the average.

If you heavily cull to only raise the exception deer, your mature deer could average 160. Yes non heavy cull programs 125 is spot on from my experience

That makes since.....
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/04/17 10:29 PM

So what do you say?

The average hasn't changed much.

Maybe 5" higher
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/05/17 12:01 AM

wow... no wonder the deer I see on camera keep disappearing.

too bad people don't let deer roll out so they can really see what they'll grow up to be.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/05/17 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
So what do you say?

I won't typically name names, but Bill Maltsberger is the man who told me about the average mature deer being 125. He told me that 25 years ago. Bill culled heavily for decades and broke that mold, for the most part. Bill's observation was based on his own experience on 12,000 acres that had never been "managed" for trophy deer prior to the late 70's or early 80's. Even after all those years, his mature deer didn't average 160, but a BUNCH of them did and a couple made book almost every year in the 90's and beyond.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/05/17 12:36 AM

Average and possible are two different things and many people get them confused. Just because a Ranch produces 165” deer, that in no way means that it is near the average. Even if it produces multiple 165” deer, chances are the average is much lower.

Across Texas, I would say the average is lower than the 135” ten pointer for mature deer simply because in many places, a 135” ten is well toward the top of the deer that are produced by certain regions.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/05/17 12:41 AM

I'll go farther than that. Most Texas hunters will never shoot a 135" 10 point buck.

I'd say the average trophy is a 110" 8 pointer.
Posted By: rickym

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/05/17 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Average and possible are two different things and many people get them confused. Just because a Ranch produces 165” deer, that in no way means that it is near the average. Even if it produces multiple 165” deer, chances are the average is much lower.

Across Texas, I would say the average is lower than the 135” ten pointer for mature deer simply because in many places, a 135” ten is well toward the top of the deer that are produced by certain regions.

So whats your answer?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/05/17 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

So whats your answer?

Honest guess, closer to around 115”
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/05/17 01:29 AM

A buck in 120s was considered borderline trophy in South Texas 30-40 years ago before strict game management and prolific protein and supplement feeding programs.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/05/17 01:30 AM

I'd now say bucks in 135-140 range is where a lot of persons consider the trophy cutoff.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/05/17 02:00 AM

A 130+ buck is a deer most would consider a trophy in my area of east TX. There are certainly bigger ones taken every year (some much bigger), but that’s why their pics wind up on just about everybody’s phone in the region. smile

“Average” I would guess around 115 also. That’s just a guess.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/05/17 03:08 AM

40 to 50 years ago just seeing a deer in some counties was a trophy, today those same counties have lots of deer. But trophies are 130 plus, their population alone is more than the entire deer population was 50 years ago.
Posted By: D6Ranch

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/05/17 06:32 AM

It took me years to get a 115 10pt, then a few years of mature but low scoring bucks and I was lucky enough to get a 132-133 class 10pt and a 128 8pt the next year. These are hill country low fence deer. I've hunted a few miles away on a high fence place and seen bigger deer but overall I'd say most average lease hunters would be more than happy with a 125-135 class deer.

I don't know that I'll ever break 140 where I am now, it's possible but 150 would be like winning the lotto.

They are all trophies to me and I wont shoot a buck younger than 4 and my rules are if you shoot it it's at least worth a euro mount.
Posted By: CTK84

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/05/17 07:09 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
40 to 50 years ago just seeing a deer in some counties was a trophy, today those same counties have lots of deer. But trophies are 130 plus, their population alone is more than the entire deer population was 50 years ago.

Yup. I remember 30 years ago in Aspermont that it was considered a big deal when one of the family shot a deer. They were there then of course, but harder to find. So far this season since it opened my dad has tagged out, I've shot two, and my brother has one. Shooting a deer now is all about when one of us feels like messing with one.
Posted By: Kpaycheck

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/05/17 08:10 AM

I second that, listening to stories from dad, grandpa and great uncles.

I killed my biggest this year, 10 pt 130 and 179lbs. We are low fenced in Sutton County. That one stands best in my life, and best over 12 years we've owned it between all of us.

Kevin
Posted By: vanndchi

Re: A Texas trophy - 12/05/17 04:57 PM

In North Texas, a good 130" buck would be considered a trophy and darn fun to hunt! A 140'+ deer is pretty nice, and not easy to come by on low fence. I see a lot of 130's and they get my blood pumping every time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum