Texas Hunting Forum

Morning or Evening

Posted By: D'hanis

Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 03:08 PM

I'm really curious to hear from some of you guys on this one. Have you killed more mature bucks on morning or evening hunts throughout your hunting career? Personally I've killed more bucks in the evening, but have killed a few during morning hunts as well. (I love deer hunting but have a hard time making an all day sit) So far this year though, morning sits have been far more productive. Hunting North of Hwy 90 in Medina County.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 03:41 PM

Evening for me.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 03:45 PM

Both but killed more big ones in evening
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 03:50 PM

late morning here
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 03:53 PM

Varies for me depending on the area.. I’ve killed some good bucks in South Texas on evening hunts, but in the hill country and East Texas, I’ve killed more in the morning, so I’d have to go with mornings.
I’ve probably killed more management bucks in the evening though.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 05:08 PM

Evening for me, but I don't really know that it matters that much. I have always liked evening hunts.
Posted By: Buddy

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 05:19 PM

I just like to watch the start and end of the day, have been fortunate to harvest at both times.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 05:39 PM

I was thinking about this exact question a few weeks ago. When have I taken my wall hangers. I have 5 that are hanging up right now.
3 were taken in the afternoon (1 was in Alabama)
2 were taken in the morning

Excluding my my Alabama buck - its 50/50 for me. But I would say most buck activity I've seen, outside of the rut, are in the evenings.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 05:39 PM

Evenings. The deer are on their feet and visible for a longer period of time.
Posted By: Bobby Hill

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 07:46 PM

it seems about 50/50 for me.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 07:54 PM

3 out of the 4 most mature deer were morning 1 evening but I see the most deer in the evening.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 07:56 PM

During the rut both, otherwise late evening.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 07:57 PM

My 3 biggest bucks were all killed in the morning.
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Hill
it seems about 50/50 for me.

same here...

also, depends on weather, moon, rut, etc...

hot spell we've had the last two weeks mornings have been much more productive for longer periods of time while evenings have been active right before dark...
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 09:12 PM

Something else to consider.

If you hunt a smaller property whatever your first hunt is will probably be your best hunt. Our place is smaller and if we don't try to keep it quiet and activity down in the pasture then the deer sightings will be down for following hunts.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 09:14 PM

More deer overall in evening hunts, more mature deer on morning hunts. As far as actually killed, couldn’t tell you.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 10:13 PM

Just thinking about my best 6-8 bucks, it's nearly 50-50. However, three of my last four, which happen to be my best three, were all taken in the morning. I also took a late season 5.5 cull two years ago in the morning. Same place in Mills county for nearly 40 years.

I see an equal number of deer morning to evening, on average.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 10:17 PM

I couldn't tell you either. My intuition is that mornings are better for truly big deer. It hasn't ever stopped me from hunting evenings though. smile
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 10:18 PM

My best buck was killed at 2 p.m., second best at 10a.m. We see far more deer at our place in the evening.
Posted By: D'hanis

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/04/17 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Something else to consider.

If you hunt a smaller property whatever your first hunt is will probably be your best hunt. Our place is smaller and if we don't try to keep it quiet and activity down in the pasture then the deer sightings will be down for following hunts.

Good point, I try and be as quiet as possible but being on only 200 acres, makes in hard to really "sneak" in
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/05/17 01:33 AM

In over 35+ years of hunting South Texas I will say early mornings, especially colder during the rut though we killed plenty of nice ones in late afternoon hunts too. Something about the wildlife piling onto a corned sendero at 6:45 AM.
Posted By: GPS

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/05/17 07:10 PM

Hands down for me - Evening.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/05/17 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
Evening for me.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/05/17 07:39 PM

Evenings by far for me
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/05/17 09:56 PM

Mornings for sure everything I have on wall is morning evening they come in too late almost shot couple times but could not see good.out now think odds are in my favor looking what everybody else is saying. Confidence High!!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/05/17 10:56 PM

I like drinking a beer or ten while in the stand, so, mornings for me cheers A wise man once told me, "you can't drink all day if you don't get an early start"
Posted By: agsellers04

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/05/17 11:06 PM

More of the bigger deer seem to come for us in the PM but I won’t count out the AM. Alot of times it depends on the weather, moon, and drought status for that year.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/06/17 02:12 PM

Majority of the deer on my wall were taken in the AM, but my 2 largest were from evening hunts
Posted By: Skitini

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/06/17 07:33 PM

Far more deer overall in evening. Biggest bucks were all late morning.... and all were bucks I had never seen or caught on camera.
Posted By: frognot

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/11/17 11:31 AM

Have had my best results in the morning.
Posted By: millerliteliker

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/11/17 11:48 AM

I enjoy the anticipation of a morning hunt - the sun coming up is like a curtain opening. I almost exclusively hunt from hang on tree stands, so the sunrises can sometimes be spectacular. I also much prefer recovering a deer in daylight, which is the other big positive of a morning bowhunt.

That being said, when hunting over a food plot, I think many times an afternoon hunt has proven more productive than a morning hunt. I think getting in to a stand over a food plot in the morning is much tougher - you stand the chance of busting deer already in the plot before sunrise.

The other downside of morning hunts this time of year - it is darn cold hanging in a tree this time of the year!
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/11/17 12:54 PM

More in the mornings for me.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/11/17 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Big_Ag
More in the mornings for me.
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/11/17 06:51 PM

I believe that the decision is based on hunting pressure. If you have a lot of hunting pressure where you hunt then I believe that early mornings are the best to kill a big buck. If your area has very little pressure than evenings are the best. When I rattle for bucks in south Texas, I like early mornings (best time to get that old buck.)
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Morning or Evening - 12/11/17 07:14 PM

I prefer morning mainly because evenings the deer usually come out late and then if you shoot one it's going to mean working in the dark trying to trail, and then once you find the deer you have to work in the dark, which I hate. A third hand would be nice, but those head lamps make it easier.
Just don't like getting home so late and then having to clean up, and take care of the meat, so by that time it's midnight or close to it.
Now that I explained that, I love morning hunts, and probably why my biggest deer have always been taken in the morning.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum