Texas Hunting Forum

Texting While In the Stand?

Posted By: fouzman

Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 12:04 AM

Does it increase or decrease your enjoyment of your time in the stand? I've done it for the past 5 or 6 years, mainly to communicate what can and cannot be shot. And to check on movement from others on the ranch. That said, I've come to the conclusion that texting takes away from everything I'm there for.

Thoughts?
Posted By: djs303

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 12:15 AM

I like being able to text the other hunters and even send photos back and forth. Its a lot quieter than using portable radios that we tried in the past.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 12:24 AM

Depends on the day. Slow, boring day I'm thankful I've got my phone. When there is a lot of action I'll turn my phone off so I'm not distracted. I don't want to get a vibration in my pocket when I'm about to take a shot.
Posted By: JH117

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 12:33 AM

I definitely like to have it when it's slow. I spend a lot of the downtime reading posts on this forum and checking football scores.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 12:34 AM

I text. Heck I even post pics here on the forum while in my stand. I try to stay more focused on the hunting part when I have a trophy tag still in my pocket. After I get my buck I get more laid back and play with the phone more.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 01:02 AM

I rarely have service in the stand. It’s nice that way.
Posted By: varnoldi13

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 01:14 AM

Phone stays in the truck .
Posted By: mow

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 01:23 AM

I facebook live..tweet live..text,stay in touch with other guys on the lease..makes a loong day...more fun...I also video my hunts..take pix...I figure I pay $$ a year..I can ..and still enjoy and bag my deer
Posted By: Western

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 01:25 AM

I like having my phone, I control it not the other way around tho, text if needed, but usually to check the weather.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 01:26 AM

It adds - and it takes away.

I feel the same about trail cameras.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I've had to stop looking at my wireless cameras the morning of a hunt (even if it's a stand I'm not hunting). I agree, I think it takes away from the excitement.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 02:20 AM

I certainly have times where I don't want to be bothered while hunting. But during the slower times I don't mind if its not to much. If I didn't get to hunt as much as I do I'd probably keep it turned off.
Posted By: dlrz71

I will text with my brother or other lease members while hunting. Like JCB said if I have my buck tag then I will try and keep it to a minimum though.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

No for me. I'm there to get away from the phone among other things. I may bring it turned off so I have a camera in case I kill Old Moe. I do take a lot of video from the stand though.
Posted By: KingHunter17

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 02:33 AM

During the slow times if i don't have my phone or a book or something to keep me busy, I will fall asleep so having my phone and using it during the slow times keeps me awake so i don't miss any deer if i was sleeping.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 02:56 AM

I enjoy texting friends to see what they are seeing where they are hunting
Posted By: brokenpole

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 03:01 AM

Texting is ok on high fence
Posted By: ttechcolleyville

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 03:03 AM

I don't text and used to never even take it out of my backpack. I do use it on Sunday mornings to check the "inactives" list posted by the NFL. It comes in handy for last minute lineup changes when you want to extend that morning hunt.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 03:09 AM

I text. Not as much as I used to where I had to hope the battery lasts for a sit.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: brokenpole
Texting is ok on high fence

roflmao

DI! Wassup?
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 03:14 AM

Text, Netflix, twitch, thf, play games, it all keeps me in the stand longer. I still spend more time watching the field than my phone though.
Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 03:16 AM

Text with others to see if anything is moving.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 01:27 PM

Only on days we get signal.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: deerhunter1956
Text with others to see if anything is moving.

The number of distant shots is what I consider the best indication of the level of deer movement.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 02:58 PM

We text, nice to hear what everyone is seeing. When I'm sitting in the bow stand I usually don't to keep movement down and if movement is hot I will just put it down so I don't get distracted.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 03:18 PM

I text neighbors when I hear a shot and ask if they need any help and they do the same. And I use it for keeping in touch with other friends who are hunting on different ranches just to see how they are doing, etc. I've even texted neighbors saying, "four does heading up the fence line on my side to you. Take one if you want."....and they did.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 04:07 PM

Only one of my stands I get spotty service, and I only use it to text other hunters to see about movement or send pics of deer that's currently under feeder.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 04:12 PM

Guilty - like a good book, it helps pass the time.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 04:15 PM

I always have my phone in case of emergency, but rarely have it out. Will check the radar, that's about it while in the stand. Most of my stands are in areas where a deer can pop out on top of you if you're not careful. Last thing I want to look up and see is a deer staring at me from 20 yards.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 11:28 PM

We've pretty much quit using cameras. At first it was because we all had young kids and simply didn't have the time. Then we realized it was more fun not knowing what's out there.

I'm all about texting though. Much better than the days of using radios.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/01/17 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor

We've pretty much quit using cameras. At first it was because we all had young kids and simply didn't have the time. Then we realized it was more fun not knowing what's out there.

I'm all about texting though. Much better than the days of using radios.

I can't get away from the cameras. I have a blast going through them and seeing what is on the ranch, watching the deer progress from year to year, trying to figure out what deer are what, trying to age and score them to see how close I was when someone brings them in, etc.

We text. Dad is texting me from the stand right now. He just learned two years ago. Love getting the updates from him when I am hunting or especially when I am at home.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/02/17 12:12 AM

I turn off the phone at the gate. I check the phone every so often, but I do not answer and do not call anyone unless it is an emergency.
Posted By: bass101

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/02/17 02:40 AM

Its ok to stay in touch but can be a distraction
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/02/17 02:43 AM

I hunt to relax and get enjoyment. I enjoy the heck out of sitting in a deer blind while binge watching a show on Netflix.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Texting While In the Stand? - 12/02/17 02:49 AM

Fouz, feel free to text me a pic of any of those south Texas giants any time!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum