Texas Hunting Forum

Boone and Crocket Scoring

Posted By: postoak

Boone and Crocket Scoring - 11/23/17 06:10 PM

Does anyone know the algorithm behind the B&C scoring system? I know how to imput the numbers but I don't know how they are weighted. It is obvious, though, that you are not just adding up everything as if you do that, adding points and inches together and using all 3 width measurements you get far too high a number.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Boone and Crocket Scoring - 11/23/17 08:47 PM

Not sure what you mean by “algorithm” or “weighted”. The measurements are straightforward.

Only inside spread counts in the score, though others are measured and put on the sheet.
# of points goes on sheet but do not count toward score either.
Deductions take their toll also.

Most people use the gross score - which is not really a B&C score at all, merely one step in the scoring process before deductions are taken.

Re: Boone and Crocket Scoring - 11/23/17 09:00 PM

Re: Boone and Crocket Scoring - 11/24/17 12:07 AM

An algorithm is what you do with the numbers after you write them down. You described the algorithm. (Ignore the number of points, outside spread, and tip-to-tip spread and add up the other numbers.)

Re: Boone and Crocket Scoring - 11/24/17 03:01 AM

I’ve never been a math guy - at all. Always hated it. Thank the Lord for calculators. smile
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Boone and Crocket Scoring - 11/24/17 03:27 AM

The process or set of rules to be followed (algorithm) to determine the B&C score is clearly spelled out on the scoring sheet. It's pretty straight forward. Basic is length of all points+length of main beams+8 mass measurements+inside spread= gross score. To get official B&C score deduct differences in measurements from like measurements on each side. There are other rules you'll need to know like where and how the measurements are taken, what to do if the inside spread is greater than the length of of your main beams, how to get 8 mass measurements on a 6 point!!!!! And more things but they're fun to learn.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Boone and Crocket Scoring - 11/24/17 03:27 AM

The deductions are a bummer for Boone and Crockett. I get it, but have seen awesome deer deducted to a point that the score does not represent an animal well.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Boone and Crocket Scoring - 11/24/17 12:37 PM

Where you been? On math braniac.com. it's just simple math. You know add and subtract. Tine length, beam length, inside spread, cir. on standard American terms. scratch
Posted By: Sled2live

Re: Boone and Crocket Scoring - 11/24/17 03:54 PM

I would say the closest thing to an "algorithm" in their scoring system is "Symmetry". :-)
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Boone and Crocket Scoring - 11/25/17 02:38 PM

Algorithm? 1+1 = 2.
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: Boone and Crocket Scoring - 11/26/17 02:03 AM

you just add up the measurements...

the only width measurement used for the score is inside spread.

the reason you're confused about algorithms is because there aren't any.

Re: Boone and Crocket Scoring - 11/26/17 02:14 AM

Sorry guys, you don't understand what an algorithm is. It is just a stated procedure for doing something.
Posted By: Threelranch

Re: Boone and Crocket Scoring - 11/26/17 02:45 AM

B an c sucks in my opinion of the deer grew it he gets it not deducted for it and the using the width for scoring is so dumb because that's air not horns. I made my money on deer and studying them so I'm not dumb to the fact of scoring but b and c needs a real revision
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Boone and Crocket Scoring - 11/26/17 09:20 AM

It's like the government taxing your deer's natural growth. I always thought that the if the spread is wider than the longest main beam you have to use the longest main beam for the spread measurement thing was bs. Net is bs for sure. Kinda like a paycheck taxed to death. Leave uo to Americans to deduce what was rightfully given.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum