Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting West of Big Lake

Posted By: YellowDog

Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/21/17 05:12 PM

Wow we are not seeing very many deer this year. Anyone have info
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/21/17 05:36 PM

Kinda seems to be the norm in a lot of areas of West Texas.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/21/17 09:44 PM

Hunt 15 min south of big lake and haven't seen a whole lot of deer either. We have some decent bucks on camera but not seeing them yet in person.
Posted By: coachwhite34

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/22/17 01:15 AM

I'm from Big Lake and here now. Warm temps and wind possibly. We hunt in Menard and have seen tons that direction. Is there a lot of oil field traffic and stuff going on where you are?
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/22/17 02:59 PM

No oil field traffic. But a crop duster keeps dive bombing our feeders. No crops around lease for miles
Posted By: JWMurray

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/22/17 03:41 PM

I hunted just south of Big Lake (Bordering the Lake on the South / West side) for about 7-8 years when I was in high school, college, and just after. We would never see deer the first 3 weeks of the season. Warm, Wind, tons of cover, and plenty of food in good rain years. Thanksgiving through December was another story. We would see new deer every weekend and more deer as the season continued. I would give it a few weeks and hit it hard towards the end of the season. I shot my biggest deer there the last few weeks of the season every year. Also if you have a water tank we shot quite a few good deer on cold afternoons at noon when they would hit water. Just my take.
Posted By: Codyd713

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/23/17 02:26 AM

We have 6k acres South of Big Lake off county rd 207. I agree with the above that said early season isn’t as good as late. It’s like hunting a new lease come December. I hunted 5 days this past week and saw quite a bit of deer and ended shooting an old cull 9 that was chasing a doe. It’ll get better.

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/24/17 10:22 PM

I think alot of deer are moving at night. We drove in last night and while we normally see a few deer between ozona and our camp, last night I counted 47 with 4 of those being huge bucks. One I slowed down to about 10 mph afraid he was coming into road and he was probably a 150" deer. Huge.

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/25/17 02:49 AM

Where do y’all hunt Chance?

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/25/17 03:18 AM

We’re off Ferguson road. I thinks it’s also known as cr 206. Saw some bucks chasing today. It might be getting started early this year.

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/25/17 10:40 AM

Well good luck. I’ll be heading that way in a week. Keep us updated if you don’t mind.

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/25/17 12:36 PM

One of our guys killed a real nice 19" wide 9 point last night that was chasing a doe. I saw a jacked up rack cull that would never present a shot chasing a doe. This is strange we normally don't see any rut activity till around December 5th.
Posted By: WesTexHunter75

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/27/17 04:02 AM

Deer seem to be moving very late and at night on our place. This warm weather isn’t helpful in much.

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/27/17 04:05 AM

Originally Posted By: JWMurray
I hunted just south of Big Lake (Bordering the Lake on the South / West side) for about 7-8 years when I was in high school, college, and just after. We would never see deer the first 3 weeks of the season. Warm, Wind, tons of cover, and plenty of food in good rain years. Thanksgiving through December was another story. We would see new deer every weekend and more deer as the season continued. I would give it a few weeks and hit it hard towards the end of the season. I shot my biggest deer there the last few weeks of the season every year. Also if you have a water tank we shot quite a few good deer on cold afternoons at noon when they would hit water. Just my take.

JW was that on the adobe ranch?

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/27/17 04:48 AM

They are definitely moving at night. Coming home last night I counted another 26 with 1 being another stud buck.
Posted By: JWMurray

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/27/17 11:02 PM

Nope we hunted the 07 Ranch but the name might have changed.

Re: Hunting West of Big Lake - 11/28/17 12:23 AM

Still 07. That’s where I hunt now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum