Texas Hunting Forum

Rut in Pineywoods(Shelby,Nacogdoches,Panola,San Augustine County)

Posted By: brian43

Rut in Pineywoods(Shelby,Nacogdoches,Panola,San Augustine County) - 11/14/17 11:48 AM

Will Bucks move after Rut is over?
Posted By: FusedMortar11C

Re: Rut in Pineywoods(Shelby,Nacogdoches,Panola,San Augustine County) - 11/14/17 12:13 PM

They will but they will just be a little more cautious. Good luck to ya.
Posted By: BASSHAWK

Re: Rut in Pineywoods(Shelby,Nacogdoches,Panola,San Augustine County) - 11/14/17 01:33 PM

They will move after the rut for sure. They will usually be less nocturnal too, especially after most deer hunting stops after Thanksgiving week. Food plots and corn feeders will be more productive. The rut was in full swing this past weekend too. The bucks were losing their minds in Nacogdoches. BASSHAWK
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Rut in Pineywoods(Shelby,Nacogdoches,Panola,San Augustine County) - 11/14/17 03:03 PM

They where moving good last weekend. My wife shot a typical East Texas 8 point on our place near Winona that was in full rut. Neck was swollen, and his glands where nasty smelling!!! We had another smaller 8 point walk past our blind, and the game camera has 3 others chasing does after dark.

In my experience, once the rut stops, they focus on acorns and you hardly see them again until the acorns sour and it gets really cold out. We wont bother going out again until the game camera shows activity during daylight hours, or close to then.
Posted By: Cowboy9215

Re: Rut in Pineywoods(Shelby,Nacogdoches,Panola,San Augustine County) - 11/15/17 12:47 AM

We didn’t see jack squat in San Augustine this past weekend. Hoping to see some movement this weekend

Re: Rut in Pineywoods(Shelby,Nacogdoches,Panola,San Augustine County) - 11/15/17 02:36 AM

From 11/8-11/12 I saw 4 Spikes,1 Doe,1 Legal Buck in Tenaha(BoBo).I would have took the Legal Buck,but he kept walking.D
idn't stand still long enough for me to get a shot off.

Re: Rut in Pineywoods(Shelby,Nacogdoches,Panola,San Augustine County) - 11/18/17 02:28 AM

Deer only have intercourse during the Rut?
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Rut in Pineywoods(Shelby,Nacogdoches,Panola,San Augustine County) - 11/18/17 04:29 AM

Late season (end of December) has become my new favorite time to hunt. I am consistently seeing the biggest bucks of the year (some I've never seen before) moving in the daylight hours...trying to recover from the rigors of the rut but still looking for any Does 'coming in' for the first time.

If you don't have a muzzle loader, get one...and extend your season by two more weeks. Mid-mornings rarely disappoint me that time of year. Bucks are hungry, run down...but MUCH more relaxed. Most folks have quit hunting around here after Thanksgiving and for sure by Christmas, so the deer really react to that (less pressure= more movement).

Re: Rut in Pineywoods(Shelby,Nacogdoches,Panola,San Augustine County) - 11/18/17 07:59 PM

Flintknapper where are you located?
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Rut in Pineywoods(Shelby,Nacogdoches,Panola,San Augustine County) - 11/19/17 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: brian43
Flintknapper where are you located?

Nacogdoches County
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum