Texas Hunting Forum

Suppressed hunting/deer reaction

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Suppressed hunting/deer reaction - 11/13/17 11:33 PM

Saturday night I shot a doe with my 6.8/Omega at 122 yards. There was a forkhorn between her and me at about 50 yards, and about 10 yards to the right of the path of the bullet. There was a small 8pt 20 yards further right of the forkhorn. When I shot the doe, neither buck so much as flinched. I was a bit surprised that they showed no reaction. This was Federal Fusion 115gr. She ran about 30 yards and piled up, perfect heart/lung shot tight behind the shoulder. From where the bucks were they couldn't really see her run.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Suppressed hunting/deer reaction - 11/13/17 11:50 PM

When my daughter shot her 8 pt a couple weeks ago from 160 yds there was another buck in the feed pen not 10 ft away that had no clue that she had just smoked his runnin buddy. Her buck jumped out of feed pen and died 10 ft from where he was when she shot him. The other buck kept feeding and would periodically look at the dead buck on the ground.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Suppressed hunting/deer reaction - 11/14/17 12:46 AM

Dang, I wish ours would stay around after a shot.
They will skedaddle at a safety click, let alone a roaring sonic crack followed by a SMACK that is equal to a muzzle blast. We must have skittish deer. Pigs even run after a suppressed shot.
Posted By: boonee

Re: Suppressed hunting/deer reaction - 11/14/17 01:04 AM

I have only harvested 2 hogs suppressed (300 Blackout SBR/Coastal .308 can) Both times, at the SMACK of the bullet the rest of them left. Quickly!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Suppressed hunting/deer reaction - 11/14/17 02:19 AM

True story. The buck I killed last year took me three shots. I didn't realize my scope base had come lose on the gun and ended totally missing the buck twice. I took two shots within 30 seconds of each other and the deer barely flinched. I pulled the gun in the blind and noticed the scope was moving around. That buck stayed around for 30-40 minutes after being shot at twice. The next morning he wasn't so lucky when I brought out my backup rifle. I shoot suppressed most of the time now and I can tell you that sometimes the animals don't run off or if they move it's 10-20 yards. I've killed numerous pigs at the feeder that simply step over there dead buddy and keep eating.
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: Suppressed hunting/deer reaction - 11/14/17 02:59 AM

Last season I shot some pigs with my 6.8/thunderbeast and every time the pigs that weren't the ones that got shot would run all over the place for about 15 seconds and stop..and then get shot too...Pretty funny to watch the confusion.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum