Texas Hunting Forum

trail camera

Posted By: Bobvilla

trail camera - 11/13/17 02:45 AM

any suggestions on a trail camera? The one I had was a gift and it crapped out on me. However, i was never that big of a fan to begin with....motion detection was sketchy at best.

I'd like to stay below $100 if possible. I'd go more if necessary but I've found several on amazon for less than that amount that seem to have decent reviews.
Posted By: Nwernig

Re: trail camera - 11/13/17 03:20 AM

My stealth px 14 have been doing fine.... not the greatest pics but clear enough that you know what you’re looking at. I have a couple and haven’t had any problems. You can get them for 50-60$
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: trail camera - 11/13/17 03:39 AM

Get one of these. https://www.amazon.com/Browning-STR...iL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I have three of them. Best cameras I've ever owned regardless of cost. Good clear pictures (and over 5,000 pictures on a set of six AA batteries).

Here's a video from one of mine.

Posted By: Wacm

Re: trail camera - 11/13/17 03:42 AM

My Brownings were crap. I bought 3 last season. Only one remains but the IR is not working so no night pics. I've had my best luck with Bushnell but they aren't cheap.

Re: trail camera - 11/13/17 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
My Brownings were crap. I bought 3 last season. Only one remains but the IR is not working so no night pics. I've had my best luck with Bushnell but they aren't cheap.

There were some Browning models that had problems. The Strike Force 10MP and 12MP models have good reputations. The 8MP models were indeed crap.

Re: trail camera - 11/13/17 04:09 AM

Here are typical pictures from another one of mine showing the range of the sensor and clarity of night pictures.

Posted By: Kpaycheck

Re: trail camera - 11/13/17 10:02 AM

+1 On the Browning HD. Do not get the ops, more for a business/home security. My pics are now 1000x better than the stealth. I got mine on sale for 100 at Academy last year and will get another at that price. The pics shared from the Browning are exactly how mine look, and excellent night pics as well.

Kevo
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: trail camera - 11/13/17 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BayouGuy
Get one of these. https://www.amazon.com/Browning-STR...iL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I have three of them. Best cameras I've ever owned regardless of cost. Good clear pictures (and over 5,000 pictures on a set of six AA batteries).

Here's a video from one of mine.

Originally Posted by Wacm

They take the best pics of any game cam I've ever owned. And yes they did have some issues but they provided a fix...I know because I have two of the game cams affected but once I downloaded the fix they were back to taking quality pics!
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: trail camera - 11/13/17 12:12 PM

Deerhunter61 brings up a very good point for any camera. Check for firmware updates on your camera manufacturers website. I have a whole passel of cameras and I've found myself complaining about a particular problem and durn if there hasn't been a fix that addresses it with a firmware update.
Posted By: lthomas132

Re: trail camera - 11/13/17 01:49 PM

I agree, Bushnell are best! Have 2 myself
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: trail camera - 11/14/17 06:16 AM

I would avoid Moultrie like the plague!!!! I have had 5 of their cameras junk out on me in the last 14 months. Last time I asked them for a credit towards a feeder instead of getting another replacement that would just junk the bed 6 months from receiving it. But they said no and sent me out a S-50i camera. That one might last a full year lmao. I have had good luck with Cuddeback cameras.
Posted By: FusedMortar11C

Re: trail camera - 11/14/17 12:14 PM

Man o man how trail cams have evolved over time. I love it.
Posted By: klp

Re: trail camera - 11/14/17 01:17 PM

I 2nd the browning trail cameras. I've had one for the past 4/5 years that has worked pretty well for the abuse it has been through (mother nature + me).

I'm not sure if they have trail cameras on display anywhere. But if you could personally hold and look at some, you'll be able to tell better which ones are made better. (my 2 cents anyway)
Posted By: wall8053

Re: trail camera - 11/15/17 02:40 AM

This season I picked up a couple of these, not too bad for $50 each. Sorry the pic is rotated
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: trail camera - 11/15/17 04:31 AM

Browning strike force. I've had mine for 4 years now running year around and it takes great pics.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum