Texas Hunting Forum

A true cull but can't because of AR

Posted By: Packmule72

A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/13/17 12:30 AM

Have this true cull but looks like not wide enough for AR what do y'all think. I don't think he will be any bigger. This is a 100 acre pasture surrounded by hunters with no want or thought to management. Thanks in advance for feed back.

Posted By: flintknapper

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/13/17 12:40 AM

Owing to the basic shape of his antlers, he might not add any points, but he will get bigger. Its a young buck.

Agree, that he won't make the minimum spread for the antler restriction.

Besides, culling that one buck (in the uncontrolled environment in which he lives) will do absolutely nothing for the herd quality, if that was your intent.

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/13/17 01:00 AM

No was gonna let 13 year old daughter get him. Wasn't planning on shooting him i know he was not legal just wanted someone else's eyes on him. but unfortunately some hunter in the area will.
Posted By: Stub

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/13/17 01:21 AM

AR rule has its set backs, in general a good concept but in times like that; No Buenos bang
Posted By: Stompy

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/13/17 01:29 AM

On another note,,was told by the GW that the new rules for killing an illegal narrow buck in an AR county is $1500 restitution plus fine (about $300) and forfeiture of buck mandatory.

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/13/17 01:32 AM

He will live till wider in my pasture but he won't stay in and somebody will shoot him he might make it never know.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/13/17 04:14 AM

If you have a place that small, and its heavily hunted around you, there is ZERO reason to mess with a cull buck anyways.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/13/17 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
On another note,,was told by the GW that the new rules for killing an illegal narrow buck in an AR county is $1500 restitution plus fine (about $300) and forfeiture of buck mandatory.

One of original arguements made against AR's is that hunters will start leaving deer in the woods after making mistakes in judgement. If true, increasing fines will just add to it.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/13/17 09:40 PM

That deer is not very old
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/14/17 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: Stompy

One of original arguements made against AR's is that hunters will start leaving deer in the woods after making mistakes in judgement. If true, increasing fines will just add to it.

^^^^^^^^ Sadly true.
Posted By: FusedMortar11C

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/14/17 10:02 PM

Gotta respect the rules. Too bad some do not.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/14/17 10:16 PM

Give him another year and see what happens
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/14/17 10:19 PM

Call your game warden and send him the pic and let him make the call. I had one on my place a couple of years back out in Young County, sent him the pic and said kill him if you see him.
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/15/17 04:36 AM

good example why we need AR's.

stop shooting young bucks!
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/15/17 04:42 AM

Originally Posted By: kyle1974
good example why we need AR's.

stop shooting young bucks!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/15/17 05:08 AM

Originally Posted By: bossbowman
That deer is not very old
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/15/17 05:19 AM

Young buck there so no need to worry.
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/15/17 05:43 AM

I originally come from a state where the bucks don’t grow nice big racks. But down here the deer are incredible! We have an older deer on the property that has a diamond shaped rack that is almost touching the tips but due to AR, we can’t touch him. My buddy was thinking about going to the local GW office in town and seeing if he can get the go ahead to remove it. It’s on his private land where he lives. All the other bucks on camera this year look great. I am after this one buck with a really wide low rack and hope I get him this year. It’s been a challenge lol.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/15/17 08:38 AM

I have very mixed feelings about GW's and AR's. I very frequently see deer on the properties I manage that should be culled, but can't do it. Lots of little basket bucks that are 3-5 years old and will wander the properties for years yet. I would think TPW should be concerned with healthy populations and enforcement of rules....not with trying to see large horns! Next thing we will see from them is probably banning feeders putting out corn and allow high protein feeds only!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/15/17 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Old Stony
I have very mixed feelings about GW's and AR's. I very frequently see deer on the properties I manage that should be culled, but can't do it. Lots of little basket bucks that are 3-5 years old and will wander the properties for years yet. I would think TPW should be concerned with healthy populations and enforcement of rules....not with trying to see large horns! Next thing we will see from them is probably banning feeders putting out corn and allow high protein feeds only!

If you were to go back to the years before AR's where people would shoot anything with a hardened antler you would understand and wonder why there are so few deer, and nothing but spikes, four pointers and maybe a once in a while 8 pt.
Been there, and I much prefer AR's to what it used to be.
There will always be those narrow bucks, but there are just as many and more of the legal one's as well.
If your place is overrun with narrow bucks, you can always apply for MLD status to fix the problem, and if your place is too small to qualify then talk to the neighbors to see if they would consider it.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/15/17 04:10 PM

In 2 years he'll be ready to go.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/15/17 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo

If you were to go back to the years before AR's where people would shoot anything with a hardened antler you would understand and wonder why there are so few deer, and nothing but spikes, four pointers and maybe a once in a while 8 pt.
There will always be those narrow bucks, but there are just as many and more of the legal one's as well.
If your place is overrun with narrow bucks, you can always apply for MLD status to fix the problem, and if your place is too small to qualify then talk to the neighbors to see if they would consider it.

I manage over 1,800 acres of property, and might consider applying for MLD status sometime after hell freezes over. I don't think intervention by a bunch of game wardens can do anything but allow more butting into our business by the gov't. We have enough gov't intervention on about all levels of life, without asking for more. It's hard for me to see folks willingly giving the gov't more control over us, and allowing someone to treat us like gullible children that need direction. I have never had problems with wardens themselves, but I don't want to either.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: A true cull but can't because of AR - 11/15/17 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo

I manage over 1,800 acres of property, and might consider applying for MLD status sometime after hell freezes over. I don't think intervention by a bunch of game wardens can do anything but allow more butting into our business by the gov't. We have enough gov't intervention on about all levels of life, without asking for more. It's hard for me to see folks willingly giving the gov't more control over us, and allowing someone to treat us like gullible children that need direction. I have never had problems with wardens themselves, but I don't want to either.

Its nothing even close to that... I managed a 4,000 acre place under it and dealing with MLD was smooth and had no issues.. see it how you want i felt like i was using the man to get more hunting time and tags...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum