Texas Hunting Forum

Set up opinions

Posted By: PoppaG22

Set up opinions - 11/10/17 02:11 AM

Just started hunting a new property this year. We originally had our tree stand on the wooded edge and the feeder in a field about 20 yards off the woodline. It was a great set up but we moved it because cows kept knocking over the feeder. We moved it back deeper into the woods a good 200 yards which didnt stop the cows. Finally got barbed wire around it. I haven't hunted a feeder back into the woods that far before and just curious of anyone that has if you notice a difference. Positive or negative. Bow hunting fyi
Posted By: Cowboy9215

Re: Set up opinions - 11/10/17 02:17 AM

We have nothing but woods on our place. Just a few good logging trails we keep mowed down for shooting lanes. I like it, although I would like to hunt a wood line and open field
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Set up opinions - 11/10/17 02:35 AM

deer will like hanging in the woods better than in the open. Our deer aren't hitting the feeders that hard right now, but give it 2 - 3 weeks and the traffic will pick up. Not sure what kind of feeder you have, but get you some t-posts and anchor each leg.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Set up opinions - 11/10/17 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: PoppaG22
Just started hunting a new property this year. We originally had our tree stand on the wooded edge and the feeder in a field about 20 yards off the woodline. It was a great set up but we moved it because cows kept knocking over the feeder. We moved it back deeper into the woods a good 200 yards which didnt stop the cows. Finally got barbed wire around it. I haven't hunted a feeder back into the woods that far before and just curious of anyone that has if you notice a difference. Positive or negative. Bow hunting fyi

Best setup to have for bow hunting. If it were me, I would hand corn well used trails and funnel/pinch points in the woods and hang a trail cam. If you get some good pics, carefully hang a tree stand or set up your ladder stand/tripod.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Set up opinions - 11/10/17 05:59 PM

It's not the best set up in the middle of the woods cause you can get busted if they come in from down wind of you.

Your best bet is to set up on the edge of the tree line/field with your feeder in the trees. Let your scent blow into the field not into the woods. So hunt in with wind blowing from the woods to the field if possible.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum