Texas Hunting Forum

DeWitt County LFB

Posted By: Ranch Dog

DeWitt County LFB - 11/08/17 11:26 PM

Decided to take the afternoon off from ranch work and sit in a blind. Nothing going on with abut an hour left. 57 & north wind at 15 a bit of moisture... just sa the phone down as a buck walked past. Wide 3YO 8pt, went to protein feeder.
Hoping some large hogs come in that I'm after.

Re: DeWitt County LFB - 11/08/17 11:36 PM

Three does just walked into wind from my tower to feeder. Buck bait!

Re: DeWitt County LFB - 11/08/17 11:39 PM

Rifle is Win M94 Timber Scout chambered in 30-30 Win.

Re: DeWitt County LFB - 11/08/17 11:57 PM

A few minutes left. The earlier buck kept walking but came back out. He is going to work out in couple more year.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: DeWitt County LFB - 11/09/17 12:54 AM

Live from the blind!!!
Posted By: sbushee

Re: DeWitt County LFB - 11/09/17 01:27 AM

Wish I was hunting

Re: DeWitt County LFB - 11/09/17 02:04 AM

I wish you were too!

Right after my last post, I had a large buck come out from under my tower and work the native grass area immediately in front of me. He was what had been a very nice 10pt, 4YO. His left antler had been broken off between G1 & 2. I actually had found the remainder of his antler in the upper food plot above my house yesterday. A couple does crossed the grass as it was getting dark and he was scent checking them from a distance. He went on point and I looked beyond him and the largest hog I've ever seen was crossing the grassy knoll as far back as you can see in the picture, about 300 yards. It was dark, but he stood out against the yellow grass. He just kept heading west at a walk.

The largest hog killed on my place weighed 300 lbs as weighed on a grain scale at the mill in town. We had to weigh hog & truck together and then the truck without the hog. The scale weighed in 20 pound increments. I would say that this hog was his equal if not a 20 lb increment more. Through the peepers out there in the dark, he looked evil.
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: DeWitt County LFB - 11/09/17 03:47 PM

Been pretty slow for me here in Dewitt, glad to see your back on good luck ranch dog. Shawn

Re: DeWitt County LFB - 11/10/17 03:12 AM

Hey Shawn, slowest year I've witnessed.

I did get a good hog at 2:30 in the morning here at the house. Stepped out and shot him wearing my PJs!

Not sure if I've ever posted this but I have a "lighted shooting gallery" out at my house feeder. I ran electric from the well house on the left out to the three posts mainly so that our guests could view the wildlife from the house at night. I quickly learned how hard the hogs were hitting me in the middle of the night. The lights only have a 26-watt curly bulbs in them, probably about four times full moon illumination.

That is supposed to be a food plot between my driveway and the feeder but there hasn't been a drop of rain in 40 days now. I think I put the pole line up about eight years ago and I bet I have personally killed at least 200 hogs out there, one at a time. I have done a couple of twofers.
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: DeWitt County LFB - 11/10/17 01:45 PM

Wish we could get some rain so my oat field will grow smile
Posted By: Stub

Re: DeWitt County LFB - 11/10/17 03:02 PM

Good looking rifle up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum