Texas Hunting Forum

How old were your kids before sitting in a blind?

Posted By: Cowboy9215

How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 03:52 AM

Well be taking my daughter this weekend for the first time at 4, I think she’s more excited then I am. She keeps asking we going to deer lease tomorrow? No! She replies, two more days? How many days? She’s a real smart kid and I personally think she’ll do great. She’s not good with noise but we have ear muffs for her. She’ll be sitting with her pawpaw.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 04:18 AM

5 or 6 years. 2 hours was eternity for them back then. If you forget a snack, good luck. Bumped it up to 3 hours now 6 years later. Enough for me too. grin I try to alternate weekends with my boy and girl now. Will bring both at same time later in season when it is much cooler and can sit in a warmer blind with sound dampening insulated walls!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 05:03 AM

Both of mine started around 3. My daughter was always better at it than my son but both did fine. They are 9 and 5 now and I think the 5 year old was better at it when he was 3...

She will have a blast man!!!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 05:42 AM

Keep them warm and have some snacks ready for them. Mine would fall a sleep after a while. By the time he was 7 he would watch and I could do the sleeping.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 12:00 PM

My daughter was 6. Killed my biggest deer to date with her in the stand that day too.
Posted By: MELackey

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 12:25 PM

My wife hunts, so they have all gone really early. Our oldest was in the stand at 4 months. Middle at 6 months.
Posted By: Stub

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 12:32 PM

My son around 3, daughter around 8.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 01:14 PM

Daughter about 5.

Make sure you bring food, drink and plenty of warmth.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 01:21 PM

My oldest boy still has a hard time sitting still in the blind and he's almost 11.

My other two (3 & 2) are no different so they'll probably be 5-6 years of age before they'll go to the blind.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 01:28 PM

My oldest started last year at 4. Now she will make just about every trip with me I think.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 01:33 PM

Oldest daughter was 3 when I first took her. Take coloring books and toys that can keep them occupied when times are slow. Having their own binos is fun so they can look around too. Good luck and just make it fun for them.
Posted By: varnoldi13

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 02:05 PM

each kid is going to be different. My boys can not sit still or stop talking . They are ADD , and we only bow hunt . The hang out in the cabin for now but do all the firewood gathering, camera checking , corn filling and walk the recovery with me .
Posted By: hurricanecraig

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 02:33 PM

My dad took me when I was 3.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 02:41 PM

Sitting with me by 4 and shooting at 6 or 7.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 02:54 PM

My oldest boy was 3 and we would sit around two hours.... my middle kid is 5 and we can’t sit more than an hour..
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 03:08 PM

5&3. Ipad is your friend. If they get too antsy, we take a ride.
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 03:36 PM

2 for both of mine. Their first hunt lasted about 45 minutes. Key is to not get mad if they make allot of noise. If you get angry with them, it could ruin them and possibly push them away from wanting to go in the future. Also bring snacks, coloring books, regular books.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 03:46 PM

I think my son and grandson both were about 4. Both had a hard time not being "fidgety" but got really excited when an animal came by. like dogcatcher said take snacks and eventually they fall asleep. Both were able to get a deer at an early age. Neither were ever concerned about rifle recoil which was a plus.
Posted By: Buddy

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 04:09 PM

starting taking my girls when they were 5 and continued to take them to this day if they desired at 27 and 23. Hopefully will be taking grandson a few times this year, he is 6 now and loves fishing.
Posted By: RaiderFan

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 07:21 PM

My oldest was 10 when I took her for the first time last year. She did great, shooting a nice doe and a huge 142” 9pt. I think it ruined her for life but she is hooked and asks to go all the time. She did really good in the stand.

My middle is 7 and took him last year for the first time. Didn’t see any deer or pigs. But had a great time. He did good with a snack and an iphone towards the end.

Doesn’t madder how they do, just be patient and enjoy the moment. Situation kept me from taking mine sooner but would probably have started around 5 or 6.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 07:30 PM

Took my son the first time this year at 2. We were hog hunting and shot a raccoon, he thought it was cool!

Took him again pre season for deer, he was not quiet at all didn't listen, wanted to play games on my phone with the volume cranked and stand on the chair and hold it out the window. We got down pretty quick, fortunately we did see a deer while walking back to camp.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/08/17 07:30 PM

4 for my son, and about 6 or 7 for my daughter. My son still hunts with me, and he's 12 now. She was not as fond of it, but likes to go if there are other boys/girls going to be there to play with and ride the 4 wheelers and go fishing. I've taken him in waste deep snow, rain, cold, you name it, and he likes it.
Posted By: crooked horn

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/09/17 01:59 PM

My Dad took me for the first time when I was 8. Apparently he learned his lesson not to do that, because when I was 9, he dropped me off at my "own" stand. Lol. 2nd time I ever hunted alone, I killed a 9 point buck. Was aiming behind the shoulder, as taught, and hit him in the neck just behind the jaw line. DRT. Dad said it was a great shot, but not what he had taught me. Never told him the truth.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/09/17 02:02 PM

Posted By: unclebubba

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/09/17 02:27 PM

First time I took my boy was just over a year old. As soon as he could walk and talk he was asking to go hunting with me. Now, here's the rub. Our first few years of "hunting" consisted of us walking through the woods picking up bones, sticks, and rocks that he found interesting, and I carried a .22 for squirrels and rabbits. We had a ball and great memories. He never was really good about sitting in a stand until he got old enough to bring his .22 and shoot squirrels while we hunted. He's 9 now, and honestly, he's still not good about sitting still unless he has squirrels or rabbits to shoot. Best advice I could give is make it about them, regardless of age. When they say they are ready to go, try to talk them into another half hour or 15 minutes, but if they keep saying they are done, then they are done. Keep it fun, and don't get upset when they "ruin" the hunt, because they inevitably will. LOL There are some great memories in those "ruined" hunts.
Posted By: alsaenz

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/09/17 02:30 PM

Mine boys were both in junior high. I never grew up hunting, and we only started because my older son, when he was in 8th grade, said he wanted to "try it out." He shot his first buck that year, and we were hooked. Then my younger son took his first buck two years later when he was in 8th grade. Now they're both in high school and both look forward to football season and deer season every fall. I turn 51 this month, and I'm hoping to take my first buck this year.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/09/17 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: alsaenz
Mine boys were both in junior high. I never grew up hunting, and we only started because my older son, when he was in 8th grade, said he wanted to "try it out." He shot his first buck that year, and we were hooked. Then my younger son took his first buck two years later when he was in 8th grade. Now they're both in high school and both look forward to football season and deer season every fall. I turn 51 this month, and I'm hoping to take my first buck this year.

That’s awesome!! Hope y’all have the chance to continue makin memories cheers

Well done Dad and good luck this year, you deserve a good one up
Posted By: Bbear

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/09/17 02:45 PM

My Dad took me out with him when I was 3. I have 'adopted' grandkids and I took them with me when they were 3 or 4. The oldest is 7 nearing 8 now and is a rabid hunter. His sister went with me for the first time this fall at 3. I was told 'she'll just sleep' but not with me! She was awake and alert the entire time we were out there. She is anxious for me to start teaching her how to shoot like I did with her big brother.
And I can't wait to teach her.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/09/17 02:50 PM

I'm not sure, he could walk and barely climb a ladder and I carried his diaper bag with me so I am assuming he was very young. I think he would have been a year and 3 months old. He slept a lot.
Posted By: stephenville74

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/09/17 11:22 PM

Took my 5 year old boy out last night. Silly putty goes a long way! He played with that stuff for 2 hours!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/10/17 11:47 AM

Started with my Grandson when he was 4
Posted By: Wacm

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/10/17 06:11 PM

3 years old..we ate like kings every time. He would bring his toy gun and shoot at everything. He was so happy every time. Then at year 6.... he was ready!!
Posted By: Wacm

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/10/17 06:16 PM

One year I had him in the blind. He was 4 I think. He had already scared off a group of does by shooting at them with his toy gun. Later that day they came back. The big lead doe stepped into the hayfield and looked at our blind and started stomping. She blew once but just stood there looking.

He said Dad I don't like that one she's a tattle teller. Can you shoot her.........Boom!!,
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: How old were your kids before sitting in a blind? - 11/11/17 12:20 AM

Never had a father, but mom put a gun in my hands at about 3 years of age. I started killin short after that. Shot my first bird when I was 4 with a red rider. It was flying and I shot it in the eye. The blue jay fell to the ground right by my feet screaming and flopping. I ran inside and cried to mom I shot a bird. She put it in a box and the next morning it was gone. Haha. Probaly died. When we moved to the country again I started hunting on my own with centerfire guns at about ten. Anything that moved was in danger. Guess it depends on the individual. I was basically born into the shoot and hunt deal and I was somewhat saftey conscouis and more dangerous to anything with target appeal.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum