Texas Hunting Forum

GW came by Saturday night

Posted By: Stevarino

GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 04:18 PM

Let me start out by saying I’m glad to see them in our area and appreciate all their hard work. I realize it’s a tough job. We’ve had some neighbor issues and you may recall the break-in we experienced this summer, so again, very thankful to see them on patrol in our area.
I didn’t hunt Saturday evening because of the heat and full moon. Thursday and Friday were tough, so I decided to hang back and cook. 715 PM, I hear “texas game warden” as I’m standing on the porch in plain clothes, no shoes, cold beer and cooking steaks waiting on the rest to show up. One guy immediately pulls his license out. He asked if we had any game which I then replied a couple had luck and offered to show our MLD game log. Also offered for him to go through all coolers ect. Nothing to hide. . We chatted a little bit longer, off topic, and then he asked for my license. I jokingly said “am I hunting?” Well, I could tell he didn’t appreciate that comment and as the lecture began, I quickly said follow me, it’s in the truck.
I don’t have a problem showing my license and I’d never intentionally break a law, just seemed uncalled for. Never mentioned I went hunting, was after dark, and I’m in plain clothes cooking on the grill. What if i didn’t have a license and was just there cooking and hanging out.
Kind of like being asked for a DL when you’re not operating a motor vehicle. Didn’t seem right. Overall, we had a good conversation, but I could tell I struck a nerve. Whoops.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Stevarino
...'I then replied a couple had luck'...
...' offered to show our MLD game log...'
...'offered for him to go through all coolers ect....'

any one of those make it 'reasonable' to ask to see your license...

doesn't matter 'that you wern't huntin' at that moment; he coulda been checkin' maybe that you possibly did/didn't fill out deer log from two weeks ago (archery) among other things . . .

Just doin' his job....

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
...'I then replied a couple had luck'...
...' offered to show our MLD game log...'
...'offered for him to go through all coolers ect....'

any one of those make it 'reasonable' to ask to see your license...

Just doin' his job....

Agree he’s doing his job. Log book was to confirm “others” had luck. Not me.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 04:32 PM

doesn't matter 'that you wern't huntin' at that moment; he coulda been checkin' maybe that you possibly did/didn't fill out deer log from two weeks ago (archery) among other things . . .

Just doin' his job....

Interesting comment.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 04:35 PM

Other than speeding and a rolling stop or a 1000 or so I'm a law abiding citizen. I have a license tag my game and follow the game rules. That said I don't want a game warden near my hunting property.

Sounds like he could have lightened up a little.

Have only been checked by a game warden 1 time while deer hunting and I just didn't get a warm and fuzzy when he drove up to our camp because he had a key to the power company lock on the locked front gate.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Other than speeding and a rolling stop or a 1000 or so I'm a law abiding citizen. I have a license tag my game and follow the game rules. That said I don't want a game warden near my hunting property.

Have only been checked by a game warden 1 time while deer hunting and I just didn't get a warm and fuzzy when he drove up to our camp because he had a key to the power company lock on the locked front gate.

That's why we have a separate chain on the gate we put our lock on when we're there. If the GW wants to come hassle us he's going to have to walk 2 miles.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 04:41 PM

Noted. I’ll be sure to lookout for red chevys when approaching a 4 way stop. Lol.
Yeah, I’m typically a yes sir, no sir, have a good day when our bird hunting or fishing.. . but I want him to remember my name in the event I need him for something on this property..
Posted By: lmd59

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 04:47 PM

I agree they could lighten up a little. I got a call on Sunday from a game warden. He asked for my adult son and I asked who was calling and then asked for me. He identified himself as the GW of Kaufman County and wanted to know about the deer we shot in Eastland County. I asked him what he would like to know and then told him the story of a couple bucks we shot and then took to a processor in Kaufman County. He asked if we had tagged the deer and I said yes. They were tagged with the ranches MLD tags. He said he had checked the log at the processor and there were no tags. I explained that I had handed everything over to the processor, the processor took all my info and handed the tags back claiming that he didn't need them. He again asked what kind of tags. I went to my truck and pulled them out of the console and read him the tags. He lectured me that the tags needed to stay with the deer. I told him that the processor handed them back to me and said he didn't need them. I then asked if I was in some kind of trouble and he said no, he was just checking the story and wanted me to know that it was my responsibility to ensure the tags stayed with the meat. I was tired of the conversation and said yes sir, it will never happen again and hung up. I guess I am now responsible for the processor's ignorance.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 04:57 PM

When it comes to the law you have to know what has to be done.
Even dealing with an ignorant processor it's still your responsibility, and he could have ticketed you.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 05:00 PM

I enjoy our game warden, and I have personally deer, duck, and night hunted with him on several occasions. I enjoy their company, and like listening to some of the crazy stories they tell. I guess it depends on your personal mentality of doing something wrong and getting caught. I don't do illegal stuff, so I don't mind the law coming around doing their job at all.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 05:15 PM

Sec. 12.102. INSPECTION OF WILDLIFE RESOURCES. (a) In this section:

(1) "Residence" means a person's principal or ordinary home or dwelling place.

(2) "Temporary residence" means a place where a person temporarily dwells or seeks shelter. The term does not include a hunting blind. The term does include a:

(A) hunting club or lodge;

(B) clubhouse;

(C) cabin;

(D) tent;

(E) manufactured home used as a hunting club or lodge; and

(F) hotel room, motel room, or room in a boardinghouse used during a hunting trip.

(3) "Wildlife resource" means any animal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, or form of aquatic life or any part of an animal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, or form of aquatic life the hunting, catching, or possession of which is regulated by this code.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (d), a game warden or other peace officer commissioned by the department who observes a person engaged in an activity regulated by this code or under the jurisdiction of the commission or reasonably believes that a person is or has been engaged in an activity regulated by this code or under the jurisdiction of the commission may inspect:

(1) any license, permit, tag, or other document issued by the department and required by this code of a person hunting or catching wildlife resources;

(2) any device that may be used to hunt or catch a wildlife resource;

(3) any wildlife resource in the person's possession; and

(4) the contents of any container or receptacle that is commonly used to store or conceal a wildlife resource.

(c) Except as provided by Subsection (d), a game warden or other peace officer commissioned by the department may inspect any wildlife resource that has been taken by a person and is in plain view of the game warden or other peace officer.

(d) Nothing in this section authorizes a game warden or other peace officer commissioned by the department to conduct a search otherwise authorized by this section:

(1) in a person's residence or temporary residence; or

(2) on a publicly maintained road or way that is:

(A) improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular traffic;

(B) open to the public; and

(C) distinguishable from a shoulder, berm, or other area not intended for vehicular traffic.

Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 558, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

Sec. 12.103. ENTERING LAND; USE OF INFORMATION OBTAINED BY ENTRY; CIVIL PENALTY. (a) To enforce the game and fish laws of the state and to conduct scientific investigations and research regarding wild game or fish, an authorized employee of the department may enter on any land or water where wild game or fish are known to range or stray. No action may be sustained against an employee of the department to prevent his entering on land or water when acting in his official capacity as described by this subsection.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (d), the department may use information collected by an employee of the department on privately owned land only for the purposes of scientific investigations and research described in Subsection (a) and only if authorized in writing by the landowner or the landowner's agent. Unless the department first obtains the written consent of the landowner or the landowner's agent, the department may not:

(1) use other incidental information obtained on the land that does not pertain directly to the investigation or research authorized under Subsection (a); or

(2) enter or permit the entry of any information that does not pertain directly to the investigation or research authorized under Subsection (a), into a database:

(A) maintained by the department and available to a person other than a department employee;

(B) maintained by a natural heritage program administered by the department; or

(C) established and maintained by any other person.

(c) Except as provided by Subsection (d), information collected under this section may only be reported or compiled in a manner that prevents the identification of an individual parcel or specific parcels of private property without the written consent of the landowner or the landowner's agent.

(d) The department may collect and enter data as necessary relating to the occurrence or harvest of natural resources in public land or water. The department may collect and report standardized annual wildlife survey information required by the Pitman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act (16 U.S.C. Section 669 et seq.).

(e) The department is liable to a private landowner for a civil penalty in the amount of $1,000 for a violation of this section involving information collected by an employee of the department on the landowner's property. A landowner may bring suit to collect the penalty in the county in which the land is located or the county in which the landowner resides.

Acts 1975, 64th Leg., p. 1405, ch. 545, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1975. Amended by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 521, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Sec. 12.104. RIGHT TO SEARCH AND INSPECT. (a) A game warden or other peace officer commissioned by the department may search a game bag, vehicle, vessel, or other receptacle if the game warden or peace officer has a reasonable, articulable suspicion that the game bag, vehicle, vessel, or receptacle contains a wildlife resource that has been unlawfully killed or taken.

(b) A game warden or other peace officer commissioned by the department may inspect a wildlife resource or a part or product of a wildlife resource that is discovered during a search under Subsection (a) of this section.

(c) In this section "wildlife resource" means an animal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, or other aquatic life the taking or possession of which is regulated in any manner by this code.

Acts 1975, 64th Leg., p. 1405, ch. 545, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1975. Amended by Acts 1991, 72nd Leg., ch. 261, Sec. 1, eff. Aug. 26, 1991.

This is directly from the Parks and Wildlife Code in Texas. I honestly believe there is some issues with it compared to the 4th Amendment and the right person with the funds and a good lawyer willing to go to the top could stop Game Wardens from entering private property without probable cause that a violation has occurred. I have a bit of an issue getting checked as mention in the OP when just sitting around cooking or taking a nap and not in the act of hunting or fishing. Just my personal opinion on the matter.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 05:16 PM

Our game warden has been really helpful recently. We've had some thefts and break-ins the past couple of months, and he drove to our ranch and drove around checking it out when we were not there. He took pictures of the front gate that had been opened and texted them to me. He's really helpful. He's also helped us with the local sheriff.
Posted By: Cueman

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 05:35 PM

I would welcome the local game warden to come to our camp. My best friends uncle was a game warden in Brady for 17 years. He told us some great stories over the years!! I would like to meet him anyway because we just started hunting in Montague County.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 05:40 PM

I had the GW show up at 1 in the morning on a Thursday morning. They checked our trucks, RV, game cooler and licenses. I have no problem with it as they have to have teeth for the poachers.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramsey
I had the GW show up at 1 in the morning on a Thursday morning. They checked our trucks, RV, game cooler and licenses. I have no problem with it as they have to have teeth for the poachers.

Wow. Were y’all up and awake, or did they wake you?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster

That's why we have a separate chain on the gate we put our lock on when we're there. If the GW wants to come hassle us he's going to have to walk 2 miles.

Game Wardens carry BIG bolt cutters.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Game Wardens carry BIG bolt cutters.

Game wardens aren't going to cut any chains or locks without a damn good reason. You know that as well as I do.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 05:59 PM

Then why use a different lock while you're there?
Posted By: BenBob

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 06:06 PM

I don't like a game warden around any more than I like a policeman/highway patrolman following me down the road. I follow the law and don't knowingly speed, but it still makes me nervous. We had a game warden last year come around behind our campers and start going through coolers. Seemed sort of dangerous to not declare yourself, so we all knew what was going on. The sneaking around stuff is what I don't like.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 06:10 PM

Just something we started doing Sept. 1, 2002. The last time I saw a game warden in our county. He came out and acted like an arsehole, wrote one ticket for an unplugged shotgun and started threatening to take the guy to jail. He stayed a long time going through our stuff and looking for some other infraction. The landowner finally called the local judge and put the warden on the phone with him. The warden left after that.

I'm sure it's not still the same guy but why deal with them if you don't have to?
Posted By: Lipan Creep

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 06:15 PM

I think having a sour personality is a requirement for being a Game Warden.
It's a guilty until proven innocent mentality with them. I don't know if they are instructed to act that way but it gets real old. I don't get it.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 06:21 PM

I'm thinking he is saying they have keys to the co-op locks so they use their own chain knowing the Warden won't cut the chain or lock without a damn good reason.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 06:28 PM

Just something we started doing Sept. 1, 2002. The last time I saw a game warden in our county. He came out and acted like an arsehole, wrote one ticket for an unplugged shotgun and started threatening to take the guy to jail. He stayed a long time going through our stuff and looking for some other infraction. The landowner finally called the local judge and put the warden on the phone with him. The warden left after that.

I'm sure it's not still the same guy but why deal with them if you don't have to?

Understandable.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Lipan Creep
I think having a sour personality is a requirement for being a Game Warden.
It's a guilty until proven innocent mentality with them. I don't know if they are instructed to act that way but it gets real old. I don't get it.

If I encountered half the people that have the attitude like some of these posts while I was doing my job, I would probably be a little sour too....

Love the “guilty until proven guilty” of the game wardens, but then someone States in the next breathe “came in and harassed us and wrote a bs ticket for no plug. Yep, he was just looking for something.

Game Warden is always welcome in our camp and always has been. If they find a violation, they write a warning or a ticket and move along. We typically see them 4-5 times a year.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
If I encountered half the people that have the attitude like some of these posts while I was doing my job, I would probably be a little sour too...

I agree. Goodness, some of y'all are rough to begin with. If you go into the situation with a sour attitude, trust me, it shows through and a GW can read that. I have had many encounters with MANY GW coming to our deer camps over the years fishing and hunting. I have never had a bad experience, even when others were ticketed. (One guy even tagged an 8 point buck with a Red Drum tag!) I'm glad they are around, because I personally know several people who break game rules often, and some of them fairly severe.
Posted By: Capt.JVH

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 07:27 PM

I personally like having ours around. He is a nice guy and it makes me feel better knowing someone has eyes on my place when I am not there. I gave the gate code to our local warden and asked if he can drive through once in a while if he's in the area. He is the only non-family member with the code. I did LE in a past life and I cant say I enjoyed it much. I hold a massive amount of respect for these guys. Truth be told the super hard charging ones are probably young and scared sh#$less and trying to compensate for it as best as they can by being overly authoritative. Cant say it's this way for everyone, there are jerks everywhere. I am simply speaking from my own past experiences.
Posted By: machine73

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 07:32 PM

If you can't do your job with a good attitude, you need to find another job.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 07:44 PM

I've dealt with ole green pants a bunch over the years. Way more than I'd like. No really bad experiences really stick out, and I've received a few goofy citations for goofy mistakes. I know there are likely a few gws who are sour. But know that this man is working. He's likely been working all day and he's probably dealt with some real jerks.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 07:47 PM

this has to be my most repeated sentence I have typed on this forum: I have had many Game Warden checks both fishing and hunting and have never met a rude one. Most have been extremely friendly.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 07:50 PM

I've never had an issue with a GW. The only citation I ever got was for trespassing and that was dropped because someone had stolen the signs from the open gate I entered through. I've met them many times while fishing and more so while dove hunting in South Tx.
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 08:03 PM

Sure is funny how all the people complaining, are mad because they did something wrong and got in trouble for it but it's the wardens fault roflmao

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: z71dustin
Sure is funny how all the people complaining, are mad because they did something wrong and got in trouble for it but it's the wardens fault roflmao

Yep, his thread didn’t go the way I’d thought.
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 08:07 PM

If you give someone attitude or like some on here, go out of your way to make it difficult on them to check you, then you can bet they are going to look harder because you are being suspicious. Be friendly and upfront and they are just fine and will probably be more likely to cut some slack if you have "goofy mistakes" rolleyes
Posted By: png

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 08:13 PM

Sorry to bring this up, but google Chris Fried and Daniel Diaz before feeling too rosy.

Chris still has his job, I believe.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 08:22 PM

I generally have had good experiences with wardens.

Last year two drove all the way thru the ranch we hunt (about 7 miles) and when they got to our camp they separated us and started getting our individual stories.

It was long after dark, had no game hanging, in coolers, no blood, etc.

They lightened up after a bit but they were a bit gruff at first considering there was no evidence of any game harvested.
Posted By: RovingTexan

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 08:23 PM

I wanted to be a game warden for years as a young boy growing up. At some point around 15-16 my dad told me: "Son, if you want to be a game warden that's fine. But remember, you will never hunt an opening weekend again." That ended my dreams of being a GW. So while some may be "sour", remember they're working while you're having fun and relaxing.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 08:36 PM

I don't dislike game wardens at all. All of my encounters have been favorable but one and he got in trouble for that one. I just think they should have a good reason to enter private property other than just looking for violations.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
I don't dislike game wardens at all. All of my encounters have been favorable but one and he got in trouble for that one. I just think they should have a good reason to enter private property other than just looking for violations.

Concur, my buddy got a ticket three years ago for no hunters ed. He was mowing the lawn(he did hunt earlier though)..

now I pretty much set him up on the Hunters ed since that’s the first thing I handed the GW was my hunters ed card even though I knew it was on my license also.... i was smirking the whole time.
Posted By: gary75758

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 09:25 PM

GW has code to gate and key to cabin, i have nothing to hide,
texas

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: gary75758
texas

I don't think its about nothing to hide. Would you feel the same way if a trooper or city police officer stopped you from time to time just to see if you had in violations in your vehicle even though you weren't doing anything illegal to be pulled over. If I violate the law I understand the right of any law enforcement to take action. I take issue to someone coming onto private property to look for violations. I've been taking a nap and woke up by game wardens wanting to check my hunting license. This makes no sense to me.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 09:52 PM

I have nothing to hide, and do my best to obey the game laws to the best of my knowledge. That being said, I don’t like them coming on my lease just because. If they got a call or tip, that’s one thing, but just to poke around to try and find a violation, that sits sour with me. I am LEO, and I have to have an articulable reasonable suspicion, if not probable cause (situation dictating). Seems most times I’ve had a run in with a GW they had nothing of the sorts

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 10:11 PM

texas

I don't think its about nothing to hide. Would you feel the same way if a trooper or city police officer stopped you from time to time just to see if you had in violations in your vehicle even though you weren't doing anything illegal to be pulled over. If I violate the law I understand the right of any law enforcement to take action. I take issue to someone coming onto private property to look for violations. I've been taking a nap and woke up by game wardens wanting to check my hunting license. This makes no sense to me.

This right here is why I posted.. that scenario doesn’t sit well.. stretching their power a bit IMO..
Posted By: eagle 2

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
I don't like a game warden around any more than I like a policeman/highway patrolman following me down the road. I follow the law and don't knowingly speed, but it still makes me nervous. We had a game warden last year come around behind our campers and start going through coolers. Seemed sort of dangerous to not declare yourself, so we all knew what was going on. The sneaking around stuff is what I don't like.

+1

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 10:18 PM

texas

If they never entered private property, how would they ever catch anyone? If it was just road stops, seems cheaper to just train the Highway Patrolmen to do Game checks and leave the GW on the lakes. Or is it wrong to stop someone on a lake simply because they are driving a boat? Because as far as I know, an LEO can’t pull me over for simply driving.

Truly asking with all respect. I honestly don’t see how they could be efficient at their job without entering private property.
Posted By: Dien

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 10:28 PM

I'm pretty sure most of us don't want "the man" in our lives. Not saying I don't appreciate their help when needed or getting poachers their due. Saying that you're legal and and all don't mean [censored]. No one purposely invites officers in without good reason.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 11:04 PM

I’ve been in law enforcement 14 years. GWs are generally alone and many times are dealing with people that are drinking and have guns. That’s a bad combination. If they don’t know you, they probably are a bit standoffish to begin with. All my encounters have been very benign and uneventful. Putting locks on the gate to keep them out is inviting MORE snooping. Makes it look like there is something to hide. Just my .02. I’d love a GW around my place all the time. I’ve invited em out to come visit when we’re hunting and told them when we would be there.

BTW, I’ve met Stevarino and he’s a nice guy. I’m certain he was totally above board the whole time with the warden.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 11:13 PM

Quote:

Truly asking with all respect. I honestly don’t see how they could be efficient at their job without entering private property.

I can live with them not being efficient.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: RovingTexan
So while some may be "sour", remember they're working while you're having fun and relaxing.

They chose that job. I'm not gonna use that as a justifiable excuse

I maybe working while they are relaxing, so what?
Posted By: yotehater

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: png
Sorry to bring this up, but google Chris Fried and Daniel Diaz before feeling too rosy.

Chris still has his job, I believe.

Not surprised at all. It's like all lawmen, do as they say. Not as they do.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass
I've dealt with ole green pants a bunch over the years. Way more than I'd like. No really bad experiences really stick out, and I've received a few goofy citations for goofy mistakes. I know there are likely a few gws who are sour. But know that this man is working. He's likely been working all day and he's probably dealt with some real jerks.

Dustin I feel as if that was directed at me since I said goofy mistake. Pretty obvious I have had no bad experiences with wardens like I said. So if it was directed at me act like a 12 year old drill team girl somewhere else with your eye rolls.

Originally Posted By: z71dustin
If you give someone attitude or like some on here, go out of your way to make it difficult on them to check you, then you can bet they are going to look harder because you are being suspicious. Be friendly and upfront and they are just fine and will probably be more likely to cut some slack if you have "goofy mistakes" rolleyes

My goofy mistakes
Shooting a spoonbill during teal season.
Leaving license in truck while dove hunting.
Removing the wings from ducks while on a multi day hunt out of town.
Grabbing a box of lead from the shelf at wal mart. Literally grabbed 4 boxes all but 1 was steal. Box wasn't opened but it was illegal.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 11:24 PM

We don't have a lock on the gate, but the GW still climbs the fence and walks to the cabin.
Posted By: chalet

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: RovingTexan
I wanted to be a game warden for years as a young boy growing up. At some point around 15-16 my dad told me: "Son, if you want to be a game warden that's fine. But remember, you will never hunt an opening weekend again." That ended my dreams of being a GW. So while some may be "sour", remember they're working while you're having fun and relaxing.

Dad used to say the game wardens had the best huntin spots.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 11:42 PM

texas

If they never entered private property, how would they ever catch anyone? If it was just road stops, seems cheaper to just train the Highway Patrolmen to do Game checks and leave the GW on the lakes. Or is it wrong to stop someone on a lake simply because they are driving a boat? Because as far as I know, an LEO can’t pull me over for simply driving.

They hang out at the processors, convenience stores, feed stores, look for spot lighters from public roadways, make traffic stops, follow up on Operation Game Theft tips and develop probable cause just like any other branch of law enforcement. The right to privacy on my own land or land that I may lease is the dilemma. I work cases where people murder each other and they tend not to make it easy for me to catch them. I still have to obey the law and Code of Criminal Procedures or risk having the case thrown out.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 11:42 PM

Would you feel the same way if a trooper or city police officer stopped you from time to time just to see if you had in violations in your vehicle even though you weren't doing anything illegal to be pulled over. If I violate the law I understand the right of any law enforcement to take action.

Last year I got pulled over Sunday evening on the way back from opening weekend by a DPS officer conducting what he called a "speed check". Once he found out we had been at the lease, he went back to his car and out of the passenger side came ol Mr Green Pants. He came up and questioned us for a while. I wasn't towing a trailer with an ATV or had a deer strapped to the hood... anything that would make you think I was hunting except I was in a 4X4 going down a 2 lane highway in the middle of nowhere. It wasn't until I was driving away that I realized that kinda pizzed me off.

I've never had a bad encounter with one though... unless you count the 6'10" game warden father of my high school girlfriend. Actually he was/is a great guy, miss him more than his daughter LOL.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 11:45 PM

Had the same thing happen to me while working on a tractor next to a barn. It didn't really piss me off much but the landowner who was helping me didn't like it at all.

IMO, the practice equates to an officer seeing a vehicle parked in your driveway and then knocking on your door to ask if you have a driver's license.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/07/17 11:52 PM

Ive been cited by the game warden only once. It was a stupid mistake on my part while dove hunting in Fisher county.

Growing up in Odessa and hunting All over the Sandhills at least 100 days a year for 21 years I never saw one game warden.

All of the wardens I've met on the water were good people. I lived on lake Palestine In east Texas for 5 years, and knew the warden well. Being single I had a lot of different girls in the boat with me that had no fishing license and not one ever got a ticket while we were hybrid fishing with live bait, they were all my rods, and the girls were usually in bikinis.

Every time I go to Amistad which is at least 5 times a year we get pulled over once a trip and have had only one problem. A buddy of mine had a brand new skeeter and a young warden alone tried to check us while we were fishing a windy point in a 20mph wind. He harpooned the side of my buddies new boat with the front of his. That poor kid got mutherfkd at least 20 times like I've never heard before. He asked to see a fire extinguisher and life jackets and my buddy really got pissed. The kid ended up driving off with his head down. You'd think they'd train those newbies to call you out to open water before a check.

I just don't like to mess with them while I'm hunting or sitting in camp.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
(snip) I don't do illegal stuff, so I don't mind the law coming around doing their job at all.

I once surreptitiously removed the federal tag from my new mattress. It was late at night and I figured that nobody would ever find out. I felt so bad about it the next day that I called the FBI and turned myself in. Fortunately, they let me off with a sternly worded rebuke.

I'll never do that again.

wink
Posted By: Stinger13

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 01:00 AM

Make it difficult, pay the price for a mistake. Make friend, get a break for a mistake. They have master keys to most locks in production. Are you trying to keep the landowner out too?

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 01:06 AM

You give him the same impression. You make it hard for him, he will make it hard for you. Who ya gonna call when you need him?

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 01:11 AM

texas

This right here is why I posted.. that scenario doesn’t sit well.. stretching their power a bit IMO..

So...you want them to wait at the gate till you are going home? Seriously, while evidence can be destroyed?
Posted By: copperhead

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 01:46 AM

I've had numerous encounters with wardens as had my dad and all have been good. I remember dad was fishing on LBJ and had just run his trotline. He had taken a yellowcat off that was a couple inches too short. When dad got to the ramp the GW was checking licenses and catches. Dad told the GW he had a yellowcat that was a little short but it was dead when he took it off and just couldn't throw it back and let it go to waste. The GW told him not to worry about it. A couple weeks later the same GW stopped at dads house as dad raised a huge garden every year. He asked dad if he could pick some tomatoes and okra and dad told him to help himself. He stopped a couple times that summer and he and dad became friends. That deer season, dad lost his lease and didn't have a place to hunt so he had no way to get venison. The GW came by a few days after season started and gave dad a deer that had been illegally killed. He knew dad loved venison and made sure he had a steady supply during the season. This year, while dove hunting in Cotulla, I was at my MIL's house when at just about dark a GW pulled up. Asked if we had been hunting and told him yes. Showed him my and my wifes license and if there was anything else he wanted to see. He said no and as he was leaving I thanked him for coming to the ranch to check as my MIL lives alone and it's good to know he checks on her.
I know some people on here says they have met some sour wardens. I've met some sour mechanics, HVAC, plumbers, etc and yet I don't judge them all the same. We all have bad days.
Posted By: gary75758

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: stinger13
texas

So...you want them to wait at the gate till you are going home? Seriously, while evidence can be destroyed?

I had issues with trespassers and poachers dumping carcasses on back side of my place, GW took care of it, land owner back there has history of various violations that’s why GW has unlimited access
texas
Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 02:05 AM

Why give the GW a key to your cabin?
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 02:18 AM

I enjoy our game warden, and I have personally deer, duck, and night hunted with him on several occasions. I enjoy their company, and like listening to some of the crazy stories they tell. I guess it depends on your personal mentality of doing something wrong and getting caught. I don't do illegal stuff, so I don't mind the law coming around doing their job at all.

Chad, I do not break any laws either but I'm also not looking to get hassled. There are good GWs and there are bad GWs and then there are always a couple of Barney Fife GWs out there simply trying to screw with people to prove how tough they are and I've experienced all three. For the last two you really don't have to do much of anything to get them to show that they're jerks, could be something as not hearing/understanding something they say and asking a question for clarification and all of a sudden they act like your challenging their manhood...ugh. So I choose to avoid them if possible because I do not want to deal with the bull.
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 02:36 AM

I don't need a hunting license if I am not hunting!

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 03:24 AM

Quote:

You give him the same impression. You make it hard for him, he will make it hard for you. Who ya gonna call when you need him?

You still call him, of course. If he does not provide the needed service, you report him.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 03:57 AM

I don't want their job. And for that reason, I will gladly comply, be respectful and give them a reason to not have an interest in worrying about me being a person they feel inclined to be concerned with.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 04:14 AM

Luckily no bad experiences. All 6 of mine while dove hunting even with a ticket for no HE 23 years ago. 3 were last year alone in 3 separate counties! Never seen one where I deer hunt in 12 years.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 04:26 AM

Why the hell would I ever need him?

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 04:30 AM

Make it difficult, pay the price for a mistake. Make friend, get a break for a mistake. They have master keys to most locks in production. Are you trying to keep the landowner out too?

It was the landowners idea and is still his lock.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 04:33 AM

Just doin' his job....

Ah. The Nuremburg defense. That makes everything ok.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 04:39 AM

Game Wardens are necessary. Sometimes they are an inconvenience that in my opinion is outweighed by the service they provide. The majority of my experience with them has been overwhelmingly positive with the exception of two encounters. Overall that is a better track record than most professions. Personally I am happy to see them on the property I hunt and wish they had a regular presence there. I have no problem with them checking to see if I am obeying the law. I would think trying to lock them out is a sure way to get their full attention, and I would think a good way to piss off the landowner, unless you are the landowner. Locking out a utility companies lock is a violation of the law. If you are not ticketed for that, whether you are aware of it or not, you were given a break.
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 04:41 AM

I see some really disappointing comments from a bunch of so-called conservation-minded outdoorsmen on here. Everybody is pro-police, as long as Mr. Police is paying attention to somebody else. I personally have only good experiences to share regarding my interactions with GW. I couldn't do what they do on my best day, and they do it in all kinds of weather, at all hours, alone, miles from help, while dealing with people who are always armed and often intoxicated. God bless 'em for doing their job.
Posted By: mow

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 10:39 AM

a few bad apples will ruin the whose basket...there is good and bad in every walk of life..the systym will fix this..if he or she is a good apple..he or she will last a long time..on the other hand if he or she is a bad one he or she will be gone and will not have a career..having said that it doesnt bode well for the profession if there is somebody over reaching..over reacting..and i think that comes with experience with the professional..with age comes wisdom..your more seasoned GW are awesome! He she has the power and demand respect..and that goes for anybody in authority..sometimes i dont like it..but its always better to respect rather than disrespect anybody with any authority,,they will appreciate it
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 11:05 AM

Game Warden is welcome on my place any time. He has all the combo's for the locks on the big ranch and we request he do a drive through when ever possible. In over 50 years I've never once had a problem with a Game Warden. maybe it's because I follow the law, understand the job they have to do and I don't give them any attitude. To be honest I don't understand why anybody would cop an attitude but they most certainly do, seen it too many times. Our game laws in Texas are about as simply written as they can be, if you screw up then suck it up and shake their hand for doing a good job.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 12:52 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 01:21 PM

Let's not forget that someone handing you a ticket doesn't make you guilty of anything. In my case, I'm sure just about any judge would have questioned why I might have been charged for hunting without a license while being caught working on a tractor.

There's a liitle more to my story that some might find humorous. The officer asked me if I had been hunting and had killed anything. I was respectful and told him yes, that I had killed a doe. Then he asked me when I had killed it, to which I replied "Opening Weekend". I wondered later if he really thought I would have volunteered that information if I did not have a license, or had killed the doe outside of doe season. Still, at his request, I walked over to my trailer and retrieved my wallet and license and walked back to show it to him.

I guess I should just be prepared for the local constable to come knocking on my door to ask if I've been driving the truck parked in my driveway and if I have a license to do so.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 02:03 PM

We have the right to remain silent but in a lot of cases not the ability grin
Posted By: titan2232

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 02:06 PM

There aren't too many positives driving 8+ hours to my in-laws ranch that's 31 miles off the main highway, down some very rough roads, and on the back end of a 15K acre ranch with only one way in and one way out. No game warden has ever stepped foot on the property that they're aware of 31 years and counting.

Sometimes being so remote is a good thing. (we still follow every hunting rule because it's the right thing to do)
Posted By: Stub

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 02:30 PM

We have the right to remain silent but in a lot of cases not the ability grin

peep
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 02:31 PM

First or second year of the log, a buddy and I got license-checked while in a crappie house at Silverton in January. Two wardens, the one looking at my license says to his buddy 'Hey, he even filled out the log!' I guess they hadn't come across many yet. Both seemed pretty green but were good guys.

We own our land. In 38 years of hunting I've seen the warden once at our place. We legally harvest and tag every deer, though, and obey the game laws.
Posted By: Stub

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 02:39 PM

GW job has to be a real tough one like many LEO's. Been checked 3 times all were very professional and no problem, seems like the younger ones are more personable?
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 02:49 PM

I've met my GW once, and he seemed like a pretty good guy. He rolled in to the gate, asked if I had any luck on opening day. Told him no, that I had not gotten to hunt that morning, but planned to hunt that afternoon. I offered him a cup of coffee or soft drink, he said no, he was good and needed to get back to work. Gave me his card which I keep with my license in case I ever have questions or need him - no problem. Guess I am saying, he is just doing a job which is much needed, so no need to be afraid unless I am breaking rules.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 03:03 PM

Quote:

I can live with them not being efficient.

I think it is safe to assume they are not efficient. Ive been hunting for over 20 years and been checked 1 time.

We are legal law abiding citizens, I have never been less than polite to a game warden, and I have never been issued a ticket for a violation or let off of one. I do not think they should have access to my property and I do not trust them. If we ever see him again I will politely let him know again that we don't appreciate him accessing our property.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 03:33 PM

I hate to talk about it on a public forum but I have had Game wardens act in a truly bad fashion several times when there were no tickets to be issued, even to the point of having a mini 14 pointed at us. If you are hunting east of 35 be very careful dealing with the game wardens.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 03:37 PM

texas

There is no stretching of their power. That IS their power. Yes, it is a further extension beyond your normal LEO rules. It has to be for them to find infractions.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61

Chad, I do not break any laws either but I'm also not looking to get hassled. There are good GWs and there are bad GWs and then there are always a couple of Barney Fife GWs out there simply trying to screw with people to prove how tough they are and I've experienced all three. For the last two you really don't have to do much of anything to get them to show that they're jerks, could be something as not hearing/understanding something they say and asking a question for clarification and all of a sudden they act like your challenging their manhood...ugh. So I choose to avoid them if possible because I do not want to deal with the bull.

I have seen the negative attitudes in some LEO's during a traffic stop, sure. Mostly when I was younger and pissed that I got pulled over for speeding in a red Camaro. Now with an older and wiser attitude (I like to think I am, at least!), my experiences have all been positive. And I hope I don't jinx it now. In the many times in the last 10-15 years, every officer that pulled me over and I had dealings with were very personable and positive to deal with. I do believe your initial contact demeanor and attitude in the first few seconds (positive or negative) sets the tone of the situation.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 03:47 PM

How many people on here have shot a javalina? How many have shot more than 2 in a given year? How many have shot more than 2 in an afternoon or morning hunt? How many have shot a deer that was trapped in a hog trap in bad shape?

Back to the javelin... I think I can count on one hand the number of people on here who have admitted to eating javalina, me being one of them and I know far more have shot them than eat them. Saving the cape for a mount doesn't count either.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 04:02 PM

Have been checked numerous times on the county road several miles after leaving the ranch. There's some profiling going on as they always checked every male passenger and never the females.

Moral of the story: You can be checked anywhere at anytime for a hunting license unless you have boobs.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
Have been checked numerous times on the county road several miles after leaving the ranch. There's some profiling going on as they always checked every male passenger and never the females.

Moral of the story: You can be checked anywhere at anytime for a hunting license unless you have boobs.

Its different if your fishing though, they want every person in that damn boat to have a fishing license. Took my inlaws out a few years ago, MIL wanted to go just for the boat ride. I told her don't even touch a fishing rod and she didn't but the warden was a pain in the azz when she didn't have a license.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 04:27 PM

texas

There is no stretching of their power. That IS their power. Yes, it is a further extension beyond your normal LEO rules. It has to be for them to find infractions.

So I have to provide a hunting license just because he asks? Even though I’m not hunting, simply being on a property that is known to be hunted? Again, no shoes, plain clothes, drinking beer flipping steaks. Never did I say I had been out hunting prior to that question. He just assumed because of where I was. Nothing to hide, just struck me as odd that an assumption was made, and how would that end had I not been hunting? Only there as a visitor.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 04:30 PM

I have the utmost respect for all LEO's and since I have nothing to hide and I don't have an issue letting them know who I am, what I am doing etc... That being said, I do not listen to lectures and on occasions in the past when getting a speeding ticket, or having had the same issue with a processor a previous poster had, I let them know real quick if I need a ticket, write me one but I'm not listening to any lectures. I'll gladly pay the fine and in the case of the processor situation, I understand the law now and will never make that mistake again.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 04:32 PM

This is my problem. The GWs I have met were very nice & professional, that still doesn't make it ok that they have official powers that obviously exceed that of any other LE agent, & are obviously beyond the Constitution.

What other LE agents are you ok with having "power beyond normal LE rules"? IRS? They gotta find tax cheats. ATF? They gotta find illegal guns. City cops or Sherifs deputys setting up roadside checkpoints & searching every vehicle? They could catch alot of law breaking, if only they could search every person at any time. You ok with that?

It's a huge slippery slope, & many here are ok giving up their 4th Amendment rights under the guise of catching guys who shoot a few too many birds or don't fill out tags completely.

If only our .gov gave as much of a [censored] about catching ACTUAL LAW BREAKERS, like murders, rapists, illegals, etc...............

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 04:38 PM

So I have to provide a hunting license just because he asks? Even though I’m not hunting, simply being on a property that is known to be hunted? Again, no shoes, plain clothes, drinking beer flipping steaks. Never did I say I had been out hunting prior to that question. He just assumed because of where I was. Nothing to hide, just struck me as odd that an assumption was made, and how would that end had I not been hunting? Only there as a visitor.

Yes, you do. Because of this right here... "or reasonably believes that a person has been engaged in such an activity". You're in a deer camp, during deer season. It's reasonable to believe you have been hunting. Especially after being somewhat evasive during the initial contact.

Inspection Authority

A game warden who observes a person engaged in an activity governed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code or reasonably believes that a person is or has been engaged in such an activity may inspect:

any license, permit, tag, or other document issued by the department and required by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code of a person hunting or catching wildlife resources;
any device that may be used to hunt or catch a wildlife resource;
any wildlife resource in the person's possession; and
the contents of any container or receptacle that is commonly used to store or conceal a wildlife resource.
The full text of this law may be found in the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code, §12.102 or call TPWD at (800) 792-1112 (press 9, then 4381).

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 04:40 PM

I think it’s great that many of you long time land owners or long time leases have good relationships with your GW. I hope to develop that over time as well.. seems like most have encountered bad experiences upon first contact or in public waters/hunting grounds. I get it, when a GW approaches you for the first time, he never knows what he’s walking into, nor do we know where they just came from.
I didn’t intend for this to turn into a GW bashing thread, again, i truley appreciate what they do..

My beef is and will always be them having the ability to come on to private property without reason.. no tip, no observation. As a law abiding citizen, it doesn’t seem right that a government employee can stroll on into my private property without reason..I don’t understand how many of you are ok with that.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 04:43 PM

I keep my house locked at night when I am asleep and I keep it locked when I am not at home. WHy shouldn't I keep the gate to my property locked at night and when I am not there? Just locking the gate keeps out lots of riffraff. If GW thinks this looks suspicious, come on down.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 05:11 PM

Yes, you do. Because of this right here... "or reasonably believes that a person has been engaged in such an activity". You're in a deer camp, during deer season. It's reasonable to believe you have been hunting. Especially after being somewhat evasive during the initial contact.

Inspection Authority

A game warden who observes a person engaged in an activity governed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code or reasonably believes that a person is or has been engaged in such an activity may inspect:

any license, permit, tag, or other document issued by the department and required by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code of a person hunting or catching wildlife resources;
any device that may be used to hunt or catch a wildlife resource;
any wildlife resource in the person's possession; and
the contents of any container or receptacle that is commonly used to store or conceal a wildlife resource.
The full text of this law may be found in the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code, §12.102 or call TPWD at (800) 792-1112 (press 9, then 4381).

^^ Exactly. I'm not an expert on exact LEO rules and such. But I do know a GW has much more latitude for searches and "probing" than a standard LEO does. There has been cases where a known crime house was known to have rifles and firearms, and a GW had been called in to "search" the house for firearms. They have much more authority than your standard LEO does, for sure!

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 05:16 PM

My beef is and will always be them having the ability to come on to private property without reason.. no tip, no observation. As a law abiding citizen, it doesn’t seem right that a government employee can stroll on into my private property without reason..I don’t understand how many of you are ok with that.

I fully understand your point. I fully understand your concern. But that's the law that GW operate under. You don't like it, take it up with your politicians.

If a GW has reason to believe you are hunting, he can come on the property.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 05:19 PM

No you probably did not have to show license. You could have refused in ehich case he could have a written you citation which you would beat in court or he could have just said okay this guy is either hiding his log or a jerk in either case I'm gonna be up his rear.

It was your choice.

Ps. Steve on your recommendation I spoke with the salesman from Bailey lumber and they are providing all the material for my house way over in Grayson county. Estimator was the only person I could find that gave me the time of day. Been a great experience.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 05:26 PM

Ps. Steve on your recommendation I spoke with the salesman from Bailey lumber and they are providing all the material for my house way over in Grayson county. Estimator was the only person I could find that gave me the time of day. Been a great experience.

Good deal. Best of luck! Remember, you’re on okie time, so you need a little patience.. honest truth.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 05:31 PM

I fully understand your point. I fully understand your concern. But that's the law that GW operate under. You don't like it, take it up with your politicians.

If a GW has reason to believe you are hunting, he can come on the property.

I understand it chad, geeze.. you’re beating a dead horse...no more ammo orders from me.. jk.. that .300blk ammo has done well this season. cheers

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 06:20 PM

LOL! Ok, good to hear!!!

I'll be in the deer stand with my 16" Rem 700 hopefully soon. I have not hunted yet.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 06:20 PM

Still no bites on the javalina... lots of liars said they didn't waste that game.
Posted By: Savage388

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: tShawnB
I have the utmost respect for all LEO's and since I have nothing to hide and I don't have an issue letting them know who I am, what I am doing etc... That being said, I do not listen to lectures and on occasions in the past when getting a speeding ticket, or having had the same issue with a processor a previous poster had, I let them know real quick if I need a ticket, write me one but I'm not listening to any lectures. I'll gladly pay the fine and in the case of the processor situation, I understand the law now and will never make that mistake again.

I hear you. I'm an LEO. I treat every adult like an adult. I didn't raise you so I will not lecture or talk down to you. I will explain your citation in the same manner I explained all citations. I don't hold court on the roadside either. Just remember in any allegation made against you by the GW or any other LEO, the burden of proof lies with the State of Texas. Take the citation and go to court.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 06:28 PM

Still no bites on the javalina... lots of liars said they didn't waste that game.

We can not shoot javalina in our county, since they are considered a game animal, and there is no open season for them. And I've only seen javalina once before in S. Texas.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 06:33 PM

Had to go back and find it... I have never shot one, but I have eatin Javalina before, not my preferred table fair, but better than carp.

And Wardens are welcome in my camp any time. The ones I know personally are good men. I have met a female warden, but don't her that well. She worked a poacher case for us, and did a good job.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 06:41 PM

No doubt you central/north texas folks don't understand what I'm talking about but if you hunt an area of the state that actually has them you know what I'm talking about.
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 07:23 PM

My cousin is a Warden and she is salt of the earth good people. I would say that even if she were not family. They work odd hours in all conditions and do everything from checking hunters/fisherman, checking people out partying on the weekends and driving boats drunk, to recovering dead bodies, to border ops, to traffic stops, and much more. There job is extensive and takes many hours and trust me the pay is not that great or I would be doing it too! It is pretty simple, follow the rules and be nice when asked about your kills or asked for your license. My cousin is a heck of a hunter and fisherman, she loves the outdoors, and she takes her job of protecting our resources seriously. She cares about people a great deal and it bothers her for a long time when she is called on to retrieve a body because someone was usually stupid and breaking the rules which caused them to accidentally lose their life. I say if they come around give them a break, remember they are somebodies family, be cordial and do as you are asked without being ugly and it will be a positive experience for everyone. Heck, you might even make a very helpful friend!
Posted By: rtapp315

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 08:20 PM

He had probably been watching you Thursday and Friday hunting.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 08:48 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about. There are ranches down south where the javalinas are treated like hogs. And slaughtered. And thrown in the bone yard or buried with a back hoe. Because they eat up the precious corn that is put out for the deer to eat. And since you brought up a valid point, a lot of landowners with big turkey populations give them the same treatment as the javalinas and hogs. It happens! So more power to the wardens! And by the way I have eaten the javalinas I have shot and the meat is not bad. Just be careful skinning around the gland they have on their back.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 08:50 PM

Night hunting....hmmmm that sounds fishy:)

Sounds like you have a cool GW. Ours is an A hol. I have had to help him so many times. He has never thanked me or even have me credit. He's not friendly. I used to be nice to him but now I give him the same crappy attitude. Bless his heart..

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/08/17 10:58 PM

^^ Thermal scope on a suppressed AR looking for pigs on a crew cab Polaris. He has also set up to hunt with us on, what we call, "Sniper Hill" to hunt at feeders that are 782 and 880 yards away. I let him shoot my 308 Win with 185 Berger to make a center punch, first round hit on the 782 yard, 10" steel plate next to the feeder. And I made a first round hit with my 300 WM on same plate. Yes, we hunt from that far away sometimes.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Wacm

Night hunting....hmmmm that sounds fishy:)

Sounds like you have a cool GW. Ours is an A hol. I have had to help him so many times. He has never thanked me or even have me credit. He's not friendly. I used to be nice to him but now I give him the same crappy attitude. Bless his heart..

Yours is my buddies neighbor. He is always at his house when I visit. You hunt same place as him?
Posted By: bp3

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 04:52 AM

Only skunk pigs I have killed were in Brewster county years ago and no limits back then. The ranchers boys shot them like Jack rabbits,said they tore up fences. I would rather eat a skunk. rifle
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 02:16 PM

I jokingly said “am I hunting?” Well, I could tell he didn’t appreciate that comment and as the lecture began

My buddies keep inviting me back to Texas, not to hunt, just visit. But if a GW came into camp and asked for my license I will not have one. Main reason is Texas deer must have all the bones removed before it is allowed back in Alabama (Texas is a CWD state). Alabama GW's are very serious about this.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 02:50 PM

Let me start out by saying I’m glad to see them in our area and appreciate all their hard work. I realize it’s a tough job. We’ve had some neighbor issues and you may recall the break-in we experienced this summer, so again, very thankful to see them on patrol in our area.
I didn’t hunt Saturday evening because of the heat and full moon. Thursday and Friday were tough, so I decided to hang back and cook. 715 PM, I hear “texas game warden” as I’m standing on the porch in plain clothes, no shoes, cold beer and cooking steaks waiting on the rest to show up. One guy immediately pulls his license out. He asked if we had any game which I then replied a couple had luck and offered to show our MLD game log. Also offered for him to go through all coolers ect. Nothing to hide. . We chatted a little bit longer, off topic, and then he asked for my license. I jokingly said “am I hunting?” Well, I could tell he didn’t appreciate that comment and as the lecture began, I quickly said follow me, it’s in the truck.
I don’t have a problem showing my license and I’d never intentionally break a law, just seemed uncalled for. Never mentioned I went hunting, was after dark, and I’m in plain clothes cooking on the grill. What if i didn’t have a license and was just there cooking and hanging out.
Kind of like being asked for a DL when you’re not operating a motor vehicle. Didn’t seem right. Overall, we had a good conversation, but I could tell I struck a nerve. Whoops.

Dumb A, just do what they say PERIOD !!!!

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 03:15 PM

I was in east Texas on public land..in a tree at dawn..heard shots from the road..about 30 minutes later guy comes driving down the road..guy was obviously poaching..along comes a warden.I'm watching all this from about 3hundred yards with my binos..guy transfers deer to wardens truck..they handshake and go their separate ways..hmmmmmmm..never trusted another game warden..but I respect that they are a figure of authority..and I will always comply
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Dumb A, just do what they say PERIOD !!!!

I don't think I could have said it as classy as you did, but that would have been my point also.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: mow
I was in east Texas on public land..in a tree at dawn..heard shots from the road..about 30 minutes later guy comes driving down the road..guy was obviously poaching..along comes a warden.I'm watching all this from about 3hundred yards with my binos..guy transfers deer to wardens truck..they handshake and go their separate ways..hmmmmmmm..never trusted another game warden..but I respect that they are a figure of authority..and I will always comply

Thank you for sharing the story. I would have made a report call to their department, anonymously of course.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 06:25 PM

Thank you for sharing the story. I would have made a report call to their department, anonymously of course.

actually i came to the conclusion that public land hunting was just a waste of money and time..i came up with the cash and am now on one of the best leases for less money,but i digress..i respect all leo's and always will..just hate to deal with the A holes
Posted By: Navasot

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 06:36 PM

you got permission to be locking lease/easement gates?
Posted By: therancher

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
[quote=redchevy]Other than speeding and a rolling stop or a 1000 or so I'm a law abiding citizen. I have a license tag my game and follow the game rules. That said I don't want a game warden near my hunting property.

Have only been checked by a game warden 1 time while deer hunting and I just didn't get a warm and fuzzy when he drove up to our camp because he had a key to the power company lock on the locked front gate. [/quote

All my easement gates are locked

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
[quote=redchevy]Other than speeding and a rolling stop or a 1000 or so I'm a law abiding citizen. I have a license tag my game and follow the game rules. That said I don't want a game warden near my hunting property.

Have only been checked by a game warden 1 time while deer hunting and I just didn't get a warm and fuzzy when he drove up to our camp because he had a key to the power company lock on the locked front gate. [/quote

It will raise the suspicions of the game warden.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 06:55 PM

How many people on here have shot a javalina? How many have shot more than 2 in a given year? How many have shot more than 2 in an afternoon or morning hunt? How many have shot a deer that was trapped in a hog trap in bad shape?

Back to the javelin... I think I can count on one hand the number of people on here who have admitted to eating javalina, me being one of them and I know far more have shot them than eat them. Saving the cape for a mount doesn't count either.

I’ll tell yoh why you haven’t heard a response on this. Cause a high % of these yahoos who say they “never break a game law” have done just that.

I’ve posted it here before about the dumbazz Baptist preacher who thought the gw was his “buddy” and shot a javelina with his bow (wounding it) and tried to recover it with his pistol (all during gun season). Ran out of bullets and it got dark so he went back to camp. GW walks in and gives him a ticket since he wasn’t out trying to recover the javi.

If you drive you’ve broken traffic laws. If you hunt or fish you’ve broken game laws. You’ve got to be a “special” individual to invite the person tasked with punishing you for being ignorant into your camp. Make no mistake. I mean “special” in the most derogatory way you can imagine.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 06:57 PM

It will raise the suspicions of the game warden.

I’m gonna works on it, but I don’t believe I can possibly care less.
Posted By: klp

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 07:07 PM

I think why I'm not the biggest fan of game wardens is that they look for petty stuff to write you a ticket or lecture you about. I feel its like a highway patrol man pulling you over for going 73 in a 70 and writing you a ticket or lecturing you on how speeding is bad. Like most things in life, the ones that try to obey the law get ticketed more than those that out right disobey the law and don't care. And I have yet to meet a game warden who didn't give me that "your an a whole" vibe.

Side note: In college, I met a young guy fishing a pier. We chatted it up all night and had a few beers. He was working on becoming a game warden. As i left i told him good luck and try not to turn into one of those a whole game wardens. He laughed and said something along the lines of "i'll try not to but it will be hard". Sort of like, being that way was a requirement to be a GW.

I do feel that you won't really win against them so saying yes sir, no sir, yes mam, no mam is your best bet. Its worked out for me so far. I'm harassed for a few minutes then they leave, I mutter some stuff to make me feel better, then all goes back to normal. I'd have a lot more respect for them if they treated me with more respect.
Posted By: Empty Cartridge

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 07:48 PM

Once the processor takes control of the animal it becomes his issue not yours. It's his responsibility to have the appropriate tags/documents with the deer. If you did not provide him with the appropriate tags it is HIS responsibility not to take possession of the animal. It's fine for the warden to call you and ask questions as he did, he's just doing his job to make sure everything is done legally, but again when the processor took possession of the animal it is his issue from that point on.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 07:53 PM

I’ll tell yoh why you haven’t heard a response on this. Cause a high % of these yahoos who say they “never break a game law” have done just that.

I’ve posted it here before about the dumbazz Baptist preacher who thought the gw was his “buddy” and shot a javelina with his bow (wounding it) and tried to recover it with his pistol (all during gun season). Ran out of bullets and it got dark so he went back to camp. GW walks in and gives him a ticket since he wasn’t out trying to recover the javi.

If you drive you’ve broken traffic laws. If you hunt or fish you’ve broken game laws. You’ve got to be a “special” individual to invite the person tasked with punishing you for being ignorant into your camp. Make no mistake. I mean “special” in the most derogatory way you can imagine.

Nail meet head. Mic Drop
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 08:05 PM

I’m amazed by how many people don’t understand this.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 08:12 PM

Game warden in camp is about like a truck driver being stopped by DOT patrolman. If the GW wants to find something to give you a ticket for, he can find it, same as DOT patrolman.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

I’m amazed by how many people don’t understand this.

The more you age the fewer things surprise you. I’m virtually never surprised anymore.. mad

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 09:19 PM

Game warden in camp is about like a truck driver being stopped by DOT patrolman. If the GW wants to find something to give you a ticket for, he can find it, same as DOT patrolman.

Yep

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 09:23 PM

Right but they are locked in a way others with a key can open their lock... if someone is taking one chain and locking the whole gate that others have access to could cause issues. You wouldnt be happy if a leaser locked you out your pasture right?

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 09:28 PM

Yep

agree

Iv also never got one I didn't deserve

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 09:31 PM

A little harsh, but truly wise advice.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 09:35 PM

cuz you know him? You talked to the warden? you talked to the hunter? you saw the deer when it was shot? You saw the guy who shot it?

Thats alot of assumptions for such a drastic trust breaker

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 09:40 PM

cuz you know him? You talked to the warden? you talked to the hunter? you saw the deer when it was shot? You saw the guy who shot it?

Thats alot of assumptions for such a drastic trust breaker

You don't have to answer YES to any of those questions before reporting. The more you report, the better they behave. Just remain anonymous not to risk retaliation.

Have "probable cause" is enough to report.
Posted By: Ox190

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/09/17 11:11 PM

My step dad taught me to always be courteous and cordial to Game Wardens and Law Enforcement, when we hunted out in Coke County we had the GW stop by a couple of times (1993-1997) we leased from a landowner that was well known, not for the best reasons as we later found out. Game Warden would come in usually after we got back from our morning hunts and only to our trailer, never fully came onto the lease. We would BS with him a while then he would go on his way. Never asked for a license or to see any animals we ever shot, I was young enough at the time I always wanted to show off anything I'd shot, he'd come look and I could see him looking to make sure the tag was on the deer but he never made it obvious.
Posted By: PoppaG22

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 02:06 AM

GW once asked me if I was quote "butt-hurt" about the ticket he was giving me for having my truck parked about 3 feet over the "legal property lines" because "[I] seemed butthurt"and was "acting like a p****". True story. I was technically parked over the property line (unknowingly) and sure if you want to be petty and give me a ticket, fine. But don't say I'm acting butthurt or call me a p****. At that point you're trying to agitate me and get under my skin (which he did) and honestly putting yourself in danger. Most people wouldnt have kept their cool as well as i did. Collin county GW biggest douche bag I've met in my entire life.
Posted By: PoppaG22

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 02:07 AM

And ruined my opinion of all GW's if we're being honest.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: PoppaG22

I had one bad teacher, so I hate teachers now. I bought a car from a crooked salesman, I hate all salesman now. I had a contractor screw me, so I hate all contractors. A clerk at walmart was rude to me when I was returning a product, so obviously all clerks are rude. A crossing guard let some children walk in front of me instead of letting me continue on, so I don't like crossing guards anymore. A dog barked at me quiet aggressively, so I got rid of my dog and hate all dogs now.

Your logic is infallible my friend cheers
Posted By: klp

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 03:42 AM

I think that statement is invalid lol. I wish i could remember that stuff from speech. Maybe Post Hoc??

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: klp
I think that statement is invalid lol. I wish i could remember that stuff from speech. Maybe Post Hoc??

rofl But it makes my point
Posted By: The Duke

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 03:59 AM

HAHAHAHA 10 pages and 20 min of reading......Thanks!

Cheers may nobody ever have another GW encounter again. Haha

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 04:23 AM

I had one bad teacher, so I hate teachers now. I bought a car from a crooked salesman, I hate all salesman now. I had a contractor screw me, so I hate all contractors. A clerk at walmart was rude to me when I was returning a product, so obviously all clerks are rude. A crossing guard let some children walk in front of me instead of letting me continue on, so I don't like crossing guards anymore. A dog barked at me quiet aggressively, so I got rid of my dog and hate all dogs now.

None of those people have handcuffs & a gun, & can throw my [censored] in jail.

If a Wal Mart employee is rude to me, I can go somewhere else. No such option with a GW.

Your logic is quite fallible.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius

None of those people have handcuffs & a gun, & can throw my [censored] in jail.

If a Wal Mart employee is rude to me, I can go somewhere else. No such option with a GW.

Your logic is quite fallible.

About as much as grouping any profession, handcuffs or not, based on the actions of one cheers

As a side note and to stay within your "reasoning", I had no choice but to deal with the bad teacher. Guess I could add that one judge that I dealt with that was a jerk too, he could throw me in jail.
Posted By: Mathp

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 06:48 AM

When my father passed away I was hunting doves in Childress and some how they found our camp and came out to inform me and stayed quite a while waiting me to return to camp. My buddy told them they did not have to wait! I can't tell you how much I appreciated their effort and how much I respect what they do!
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 11:28 AM

I have generally found GWS to be reasonable folks however once while returning from a gulf fishing trip a GW approached asked for our licenses which we provided he then asked about life jackets which we showed him. 2 were a bit faded which I hadn't even thought about so he proceeds to pull aggressively and yanks on the 2 and they rip. He then proceeds to issue me a summons for defective life jackets. They were not torn!!!! This really pissed me off however like a good little subject I accepted the ticket and paid the fine which was about 75.00 as I remember. In my mind if he was a decent guy he could have said you need to replace these before your next outing and not act like an [censored] hole!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 12:45 PM

That’s what happens when you give law enforcement officers unconstitutional authority. A handful are going to get everything they can out if it.
Posted By: glens

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 12:57 PM

Many moons (80's) ago fishing Proctor Lake. Unloaded bass boat from behind my motorhome and parked . Changed to shorts and ran back down to brother and boat and just trolled motor off ramp. Didn't even start motor. Didn't go 25 yards and 15 yards off bank. Had thrown one time to bank. GW screamed up and like to have put us into bank. "Let me see fishing license" Grabbed back pocket of cut off jeans and uh o! They were in my motorhome in jeans hanging on peg in back pocket in wallet. My fault cause I always put them into waterproof bag in boat when sailing off. Could have hit MH with rock. I says, I'll go get them. He says you must have them on your person. Think it was a $100 buck fine then with ticket THAT pos wrote me. Only one I've ever had a problem with but it stuck.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 02:42 PM

Right but they are locked in a way others with a key can open their lock... if someone is taking one chain and locking the whole gate that others have access to could cause issues. You wouldnt be happy if a leaser locked you out your pasture right?
Yep. Need to be 'daisy chained'.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 02:43 PM

If we were leasing our place and someone locked me out of MY pasture, I would assume they were up to no good. 2cents

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 04:14 PM

No. I didn’t even give the power company or the VFD the gate codes. They have my cell number. It’s much safer for everyone that I be contacted before one trespasses on my ranches. People I allow in are given the codes. It’s fairly simple.

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 04:37 PM

Permission from whom?
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/10/17 05:10 PM

Permission from whom?

THF Ethics Committe

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/11/17 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
THF Ethics Committe

Ain't they based in Dallas?
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/11/17 06:54 PM

I had my first experience with the GW here in the county I hunt this morning. Of course he wanted to see my license etc. He asked if I'd gotten anything and I told him a red fox this morning. I opened my ice chest and asked him if it'd be ok to show him a pic of it. He said absolutely. So he looked at my garbage bags holding the fox, felt of the bag and then I showed him the pic. From there we talked a little about what I'd seen etc and he wished me well and left. I cal this one a Good GW. He was nice relaxed and wasn't pushy at all. He did his job and left. Seemed to be a confident guy.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/11/17 07:16 PM

As most of them are....all the ones I know anyway....
Posted By: lowndes

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/11/17 07:36 PM

I had a very similar interaction a few years back. I was driving home from the hill country and happened to be close to a group of friends from high school's deer lease. I stopped by to have dinner with them and after eating the game warden stopped by and asked to see hunting licenses, look around, etc. My buddies showed him around and everybody showed them their license. He asked for mine and I told him my story about not hunting (at this point in time I hadn't hunted for at least the past five years). The GW told me not to lie to him and I told my story again. I was coming back from a wedding and showed him the clothe I had, no gun, everybody vouched for me and he just didn't care. Wrote me a ticket for hunting without a license. This is the only interaction I've ever had with a game warden.

Note: I called about the ticket and judge dismissed it after a 2 minute phone call. Best court experience I've ever had!
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/11/17 08:29 PM

Been checked several times and no problems at all.

GWs have no more authority or power than any other law enforcement.The association with a hunting activity gives them probable cause to check your licenses etc.

GWs also don't determine your guilt or innocence in the end.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: GW came by Saturday night - 11/11/17 08:36 PM

You could have refused in which case he could have a written you citation which you would beat in court

When asked under oath if he had been hunting I bet not.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum