Texas Hunting Forum

No does, all bucks

Posted By: jskin

No does, all bucks - 11/07/17 12:56 AM

New lease this year, 5000 acres in Dickens County. Since we put cams up several months ago we are getting majority bucks and very little does. The numbers seem to be good, a lot of different bucks. Should we concentrate on thinning bucks and leave what does we have alone? Suggestions?
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: No does, all bucks - 11/07/17 01:07 AM

It would be interesting to know what your buck-doe ratio is before you start shooting critters. We have a good balance of bucks to does, but I can watch 20 bucks at the feeder and only see a yearling doe, crazy. And I will jump a dozen does on the way to the feeder. They just aren't hitting corn around us. Better munchies out there.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: No does, all bucks - 11/07/17 12:51 PM

Too early with range conditions to know what you have out there. Wait for the cold weather and reasess what your counts are then.
Posted By: Capt.JVH

Re: No does, all bucks - 11/07/17 01:30 PM

Agreed. I have been seeing the same thing although I know better. I had a bumper fawn crop this year with lots of twins and lots of happy does. I went from seeing probably 15-20 does just out and about this summer to one or two currently. They are there, just back in the thick stuff staying full and content. I agree about waiting for the cold before making any decisions. Regardless, sounds like you have a good problem on your hands!
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: No does, all bucks - 11/07/17 02:18 PM

Some places are just like that. Mine is the same way. I don't have near as much land as that but I know every doe on my place. I have 4 to 5 times as many bucks as does. This is my 3rd year to own my place and I will not let anyone shoot does until I get the numbers right. I have lost some great bucks from my place because of the lack of does during the rut. A lonely buck will travel where the most does are.
Posted By: bdgreen

Re: No does, all bucks - 11/07/17 02:40 PM

This is supposed to be a really cold winter so they are probably out fattening up for that and the upcoming births. Corn just isn't on the menu right now.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: No does, all bucks - 11/07/17 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
Some places are just like that. Mine is the same way. I don't have near as much land as that but I know every doe on my place. I have 4 to 5 times as many bucks as does. This is my 3rd year to own my place and I will not let anyone shoot does until I get the numbers right. I have lost some great bucks from my place because of the lack of does during the rut. A lonely buck will travel where the most does are.
We have the same 'problem'. We average about 3 bucks per doe. About 2 miles from here on a friend's 1500 acres he has 3 doe per buck. He has river property with much more bottomland habitat. We're up in the hills in pretty rough stuff. Buck habitat.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: No does, all bucks - 11/07/17 04:13 PM

Early in the season, we always count more young bucks than does at the feeders.

As the season goes on, it will change. You'll get more doe and eventually older bucks when the rut hits and after some freezes.

Too much good to eat right now to bring mature deer in steadily. Mostly young deer and lots of young bucks hitting the corn/candy.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum