Texas Hunting Forum

Son's First Buck

Posted By: js4242

Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 03:04 PM

A little back story before I start in on the Sunday morning activities - My son has been buck hunting the last two years. I don't say deer hunting, because he has had multiple opportunities to shoot does, but wanted his first deer to be a buck. So he has been buck hunting. We have been close on sealing the deal multiple times, but just couldn't get it done for one reason or another. This year he decided to become a deer hunter as he and I have logged many hours in the field with no tangible reward for our time and effort, but memories that I know I will never forget. Rewind to youth weekend and we take his buddy who has never been in the woods before. We only have Saturday to hunt. Sat morning we see some young bucks and a single doe and fawn. I don't like shooting does with yearlings, so we can't take advantage of the situation. I introduce shooting to his friend midday while we wait for the evening hunt. We get into the stand early and even with the colder temps it's slow. We finally get a 7 to come into some hand corn. I tell my son it would be a great first buck for him to take it if he wants to. Indecision fills his mind and I can see it happening. He wants to shoot the deer in front of his buddy, but he knows its smaller than the ones he seen before. That bit of hesitation allows his buddy to chime in "Garrett, you only get one buck like that a year? I wouldn't shoot that one then. I would wait for something bigger." - Hunt over.

This past weekend we get out for the opener. Decent action Sat morning considering the temps. Unfortunately no does and either spikes or young illegal deer show up to the hand corn. Saturday night we get blanked. Nothing shows up, its hot, and morale is sinking. Sun morning is supposed to be windy and we have never fared well in higher wind conditions. The time change is not helping either. But we make it out but a bit later than what I would like. I hand corn the area once again and then we both get up into the tripod stand. No sooner than I sit down and get somewhat situated I see a brown figure moving across the pasture. I know its a buck by the size of it, but we are still 10mins from legal. I can't see the antlers, but thought it was a decent deer due to the size of the body. It finally gets light enough to see and its the 7 from youth weekend. I tell Garrett it would be a fine first deer to take, but its his decision. I can already see the gears grinding away in his head so I press the issue. The deer has had its meal and is starting to move off to the west. I tell him I will stop the deer if you want to take him but I need to know now. He finally says yes, but now the deer is on my side of the tripod stand. We do some reshuffling and I ask him if he's got him. He answers yes, so I give the BAAAAA. Deer stops and bang. I see dirt fly. Deer wags tail and slowly jogs off to the west. Garrett pulled the shot. I try grunting at the buck to turn him but he walks off behind the mesquite trees that have taken over the old pasture. This is a let down. Once again for both of us, we are super close, but can't close. My frustration at his indecision comes out and I let him know about it. Probably not the best thing to do, but he made the shot so much harder by waiting. His Papaw is sitting to our West and I know what's coming. Bang. I look at Garrett and say "well, he took the 7" and continue to whisper about how he needs to more decisive and act with a sense of urgency when it matters. While I'm on my soap box, he says "Big Buck on the right." I turn and see a nice buck standing at a point of trees that separate the old pasture. There is a doe in the hand corn I didn't see and the buck starts to walk directly to our stand. There is no shot to be had so I tell him to wait until the buck turns. Right after I say that, the buck stops and he has winded us at about 50 yds. He turns and starts to head back around the point, but suddenly stops and turns broadside before going behind the line of trees. Before I could even ask if he's on him - BANG. The bucks gives a little lurch starts to walk behind the trees then gives one last effort to run and we hear a crash. We sit there for a couple minutes and I ask him if he hit him. "I'm positive or like 95% positive since I missed the first buck." We climb down and walk the 75yds to where the deer was. No blood. My heart sinks for a second. I start to walk the path around the point the buck took and see blood. Then it stops. I start to look into the woods due to the sound the crash made and see the deer lying in some old tree limbs on the ground. I turn to Garrett and say "There he is and he is awesome." Garrett's face lights up and we give each other a hug. The range of emotion we both felt at that time is indescribable. I'm so proud of him on so many fronts and I'm lucky to be his Dad. I think he set the bar high as this is probably the best deer anyone has ever taken off the 250. Sorry for the long write up.

Posted By: ctonsmitty

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 03:07 PM

Way to GO!!!

thanks for sharing the story and photos
Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 03:11 PM

Great story and congrats! I’d just assume never to shoot another animal and just take kids out! I love it!
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 03:12 PM

That is an amazing buck, and an amazing first buck!!!!! A lot of character! Congrats to you and your son! A wondefrul memory that will last a lifetime.
Posted By: SowHntr

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 03:13 PM

Great write up, and great memories! Congrats to both of you.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 03:20 PM

clap
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 03:25 PM

Outstanding buck! Congrats Garret, good shooting! cheers
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 03:53 PM

Congrats
Posted By: Trophytaker3

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 03:58 PM

clap clap clap Congrats Garret!
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 04:07 PM

Don't apologize for the long write up. I enjoyed it. Congrats to your boy, and to you! I got my boy a deer rifle this year, and his first hunt will be Thanksgiving. If we can't seal the deal then, we will have one Sat in mid December, then new years weekend, and late youth weekend. Yes, I already have planned out my entire hunting season. LOL. Again, congrats!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 04:17 PM

Congrats Garret on a great first buck.
Thanks for sharing, long read, worth every word
Posted By: alsaenz

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 04:30 PM

Congrats to son and dad. Great write up and stellar buck--thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Buddy

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 04:54 PM

Nice - congrats to you both
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
That is an amazing buck, and an amazing first buck!!!!! A lot of character! Congrats to you and your son! A wondefrul memory that will last a lifetime.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 06:06 PM

Congrats to your son on a very cool buck.
Posted By: JH117

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 06:08 PM

Very cool story! Congrats!
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 06:16 PM

Congratulations!! Son, you are hooked for life now, few things in life are better than hunting.
Posted By: D'hanis

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 09:11 PM

That is a GREAT story. Congrats to you and your son
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/06/17 09:14 PM

Really cool first buck.
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/07/17 12:34 AM

Great job and great story. Congratulations to the both of you.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/07/17 12:40 AM

Atta boy Garrett, great first buck and nice story dad cheers
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/07/17 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Outstanding buck! Congrats Garret, good shooting! cheers
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/07/17 02:03 AM

Great picture and a beautiful first buck. Congrats to all.

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/07/17 04:40 AM

Guys,
Thanks for all the kind words. It was a great experience with high and lows and everything in between. Nothing will replace the time spent together and finally closing the deal. The good news is, I get to do it all over again with his younger sister next year. I hope that journey goes a bit smoother, but is just or more enjoyable than the one Garrett and I took. Either way, I am blessed to have two kids that seem to be hooked on the outdoors. It doesn't get much better than that for me.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/07/17 05:03 AM

Great write up, love the stories. Great buck and awesome first deer for the young man!!! Congrats to you both up
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/07/17 01:26 PM

I know both Garrett and Jason, his dad. Both are great people and no one deserves this more than they do. Congratulations on making memories that will last two lifetimes.
Posted By: Cueman

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/08/17 03:06 PM

Awesome first buck!
Posted By: RaiderFan

Re: Son's First Buck - 11/08/17 07:45 PM

Great buck! Better story. Congratulations.

Re: Son's First Buck - 01/11/18 07:45 PM

This is the first deer mount I've gotten done. I think it looks great. The taxi I used put a rush on it and was able to get it to us before Christmas. Garrett was super surprised and excited. Sorry for the sideway pictures. I can't figure out how to turn them.

Posted By: Caviel

Re: Son's First Buck - 01/12/18 01:44 AM

You're a pretty good writer! Glad he got a buck! I pulled the shot on one of my first bucks, happens to the best of us, but we learn from that mistake.
Posted By: Aggiebanker06

Re: Son's First Buck - 01/15/18 05:18 AM

Great story and awesome buck! Congrats, Garrett and Jason. Memories to last a lifetime.
Posted By: vanndchi

Re: Son's First Buck - 01/18/18 04:31 AM

attaboy!!!!!!!
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Son's First Buck - 01/18/18 05:50 PM

Great and cool looking deer. Congrats to the young man. He will remember that forever.
Posted By: StephensCnty308

Re: Son's First Buck - 01/18/18 06:01 PM

Very nice buck! Hope he knows a lot of people don’t ever get bucks like that lol

Congrats!
Posted By: FusedMortar11C

Re: Son's First Buck - 01/20/18 08:35 PM

That is a great one!
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Son's First Buck - 01/20/18 09:41 PM

Great write up and great buck!!! Congrats to you both up
Posted By: Western

Re: Son's First Buck - 01/21/18 10:38 AM

Would be hard to find a neater (is that a word?) buck! Congrats!
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Son's First Buck - 01/21/18 12:42 PM

Great accomplishment.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum