Texas Hunting Forum

Opening Day by County

Posted By: Ranch Dog

Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 01:50 PM

Here in DeWitt County nothing. I got up and there was dense fog and temp was in the mid-70s. Being retired and living on the ranch, I decided to enjoy my two cups of coffee on the porch rather in a stand. As of 8:47, not a single shot heard close in or distant. I did see three does about 70 yards out but none of the four 3-year-olds 8 pts that call my extended yard home.

It was 92° at 4pm yesterday. Not too crazy about crawling into my black tower blinds this afternoon either.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 01:53 PM

Its hot and humid here in Montgomery county. Haven't seen anything except birds and squirrels. Haven't heard a single shot and we border the national forest!
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 02:10 PM

Warm here in San Saba county. Seen one deer when I walked in to bow hunt yesterday afternoon. Have only heard 6-8 shots this am, a cpl close and a cpl off in the distance. Have a spike under feeder now, he's the only deer I've seen this am and he didn't show up til 0850
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 02:10 PM

Knox County - full moon all night, warm and now getting a little breezy. Have seen a 2 year old 7, a yearling with forks, a 3 year old 9 and a doe & fawn.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 02:12 PM

Hot here. I had nothing til 8. 4 does and a fawn came out. Pack of coyotes ran them off so I shot two coyotes.

Headed to vaccinate a handful of calves now. Forgot what today was when I made the appointment. bang
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 02:14 PM

Bosque county. Nothing yet but mosquitos.

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Cow_doc.308
Hot here. I had nothing til 8. 4 does and a fawn came out. Pack of coyotes ran them off so I shot two coyotes.

That is how to do it. Heard some really close but didn't see them. Through 9:00 in DeWitt County, not a single gunshot heard, close in or distant. Got work to do.
Posted By: rdmac

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 02:21 PM

Hamilton co.heard a few shots. Combination of 9 does and fawns at the feeder this morning. Lots of fog early.
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 02:33 PM

Young county.
Got in the blind at 5 I saw 1 wide spike and heard 10 shots from 6-8:30
Posted By: WeThreeBrothers

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 02:37 PM

Brown Co. warm calm wind saw 4 does and young buck Dad had 7 deer and some small bucks on oats this morning. Didn’t here but few shoots out in distance. Wish it was cooler but enjoying every minute of it. Goodluck to you fellas
Posted By: Treybiz

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 02:47 PM

Bosque County... Got warm real fast but a nice morning.

Young 10 bumping a couple aroundthe tree line for a while. Ocassional doe peeking out of thick cover since
Posted By: SmallTownHunter

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 02:53 PM

Slow here in Palo Pinto county, had a young 8 and a spike come in chasing a doe. Other than that nothing, I didn't have much confidence this morning walking to the blind under a full moon crunching acorns every step of the way. I have only heard 2 gunshots so far, I usually hear a lot more here on opening day.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 03:05 PM

Slow in Henderson County heard about three shots
Posted By: stephenville74

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 03:06 PM

Erath Co... didn’t see anything this morning. Didn’t need a flashlight walking to the blind either. Warm, muggy and windy.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 03:14 PM

Madison county.... at work lol but had a nice buck runnin a doe below the house this morning
Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 03:56 PM

Out here in Lavaca County. Only saw two does and BIL saw a young 6. Only heard a few shots...Very sloooowwww
Posted By: js4242

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 04:22 PM

Slow in Eastland. 6 very young bucks and a doe/fawn. A little cloud cover this morning but bright. Wind starting to pick up. Time for a nap and a long afternoon sit. Hopefully the bigger ones make an appearance this evening.
Posted By: Alex K.

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 04:26 PM

Was 55 degrees in Jack County @ 5am. Watched a spike at 6am with the moonlight. Had a young 8 grunting up a storm chasing 2 does for about 10 minutes. Cool thing was they were 15 yards from me. I have 2 10pts on camera pretty regular, one is mature while the other might be 3. They are very similar horn wise. Had one of them walk right in front of me with nose down at 930. I put the scope on him but he never stopped, I couldn't tell for sure which one he was until it was too late, he made it into the woods and never came back out. Just got back for a couple beers, a snack, then headed back out.
Posted By: Bcap

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 04:28 PM

Anderson county seen a 7 but passed too young. That was it. Took a look at the game cams and the target buck was out right befor sunset last night. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 05:18 PM

Archer county - more chilly this mornin than I expected.

Had a big body buck hitting the protein for quite a while, but left shortly before shooting light. Never got a good look at his head gear but he is definitely on the cam (didn't pull the card).

Big boar came in right after feeder went off and busted him. Hopped down to drag him off a ways but didn't make it too far, was a pretty big boy, 200+.

Several doe, 2 button heads (think they are twins) and a young 8 came through once I got back in blind.

Overall, pretty good activity, but no sign of the big ones after sunup
Posted By: welder05

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 05:40 PM

Coryell County 5 doe 1 buck. Only few shots heard. Slow morning
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 06:44 PM

Dallas County — up at dawn, got the kids to volleyball, stopped by a 4 year olds bday party for some face painting. Cleaned my study. Helped my 14 year old with some math homework.

Pretty nice little Saturday. Going to Home Depot, maybe a little bed bath and beyond. I don’t know if I’ll have enough time.

At least I’ll be headed to West Tex for 4 days next week
Posted By: alsaenz

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 07:22 PM

Leon County. Overcast with breeze blowing out of the south this morning. Saw three doe out of range, and a spike that I didn't want in range. Heard single shots fired to the north, to the east and and to the west. No sign of the gorgeous 8-point I saw posing for the game cam two nights ago. May be someone else took this morning, but I'm kinda doubting it. Will probably let my son take a doe this evening.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 08:20 PM

Eastern Erath county here. Slept late. Got to stand at 0800. Immediately started seeing young bucks following a doe. Rattled a few times and had 3 big bucks come out of the cedars. Neighbors property. My brother and nephew slept in.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 08:20 PM

Hot as Hades here in Polk county. Have only seen squirrels and crows. Heard 4 shots, 1 from a guy on my lease that apparently missed a doe.
Posted By: tworod

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 08:32 PM

Nothing moving in fannin county. Hot for sure. Maybe this evening.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 09:17 PM

Whitewing maniac got a doe this morning, only shot so far.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 09:21 PM

One spike, one doe this morning in Lee county. Heading out now for evening hunt.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 09:22 PM

Two bucks seen here in Throckmorton Co. this morning during a light south breeze and about 65 degrees. One of those bucks is hanging at Escalon's in Throckmorton...five or six year old basket buck, but he'll look good in the freezer. Got much warmer and wind picked up, but hunting partner saw a fat doe at his feeder. Not a bad oening day.

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 09:31 PM

Checking back in from Cherokee in San Saba county, hot and breezy, wore shorts & t shirt to blind this afternoon. I had a 1.5yr old spike in the pen eating corn from 0850-950 only deer I seen. Lease member shot a 1.5yr old 4 pt , another saw 2 spikes and the last guy saw 3 pigs, 3 doe and a 4pt & 6pt.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 09:45 PM

67 and cloudy in Tom Green county this am. Saw a 6, two eights, one ten, and one eleven point. Back in the stand now and lordy its hot, 91. Only wasps so far.
Posted By: Olshovel

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 09:56 PM

Madison county this afternoon, sweating and watching a swarm of wasps and yellow jackets fly around and through the stand! I killed all these guys and knocked nests down weeks ago!
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 10:11 PM

I didn't hunt, but saw a few decent bucks early in Eastern Young county while I was checking on my cattle. A couple of them seemed to be interested in the doe's.
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 10:17 PM

Llano county... Hot, humid, full moon in effect, lots of acorns still on the ground. Nothing moving. Good news is I might lose a few pounds sitting in this pop up blind sauna.
Posted By: J Mac

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 10:17 PM

Fayette County:
Killed a big boar last night.
Buck down this morning!
Hopefully one of the spikes shows up tonight.
Posted By: Growley

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 10:23 PM

Decent morning in Taylor county. I only saw one pig, couldn’t get a clean shot before he walked off. That blind is always a little slow though. My brother saw a doe and fawn, then a little buck, then a bunch of pigs. Shot 2 of the pigs. It’s too damn hot now. Got back to the blind and it was covered with wasps. Didn’t want to hunt bad enough to deal with them and the heat. Back at camp now.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 10:28 PM

Coke county, 66, this morning, 92, this afternoon. Saw quite a few this morning, 10 bucks and 4 does. Not a single shooter among them this morning. Right now I've got/had three small bucks at one of my feeders while nothing at the other one. Also this morning I had 16 Gobblers at my feeders. If they are here the next time I come the biggest will be on the Thanksgiving table this year.

Also we only heard a couple of shots this morning.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 10:34 PM

Live Oak. Watched a buck with tree trunks for brows this morning. He was a clean ten last year, but has all sorts of craziness this year. I think we underaged him last year. Looks to be on the way down. Cool deer though.

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 10:58 PM

Nice buck. Around here that deer is a shooter.

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 11:05 PM

Haven't heard any shots today. Back in the stand now enjoying an adult beverage. Not more than 20 deer brought into Kenny Fred's processing today. Not expecting too much this evening. That's OK. I'll be here all week banana
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 11:13 PM

In the stand in Navarro county. 11 does and fawns off to my left in the wheat. Eight point under the feeder. Just not the right 8 point.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/04/17 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid

He's a shooter. Just not for me. Not on opening morning anyway.

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/05/17 12:00 AM

DeWitt County ~ Worked outside in the pasture, didn't see anything and it was a scorcher again. When I came back to the house at 1pm, my 3YO 8pt was waiting for me. I fed him some corn and told him to hang close to the house but I don't think he listens to me.

The thermometer said 92°at 5pm, no wind. I'm pretty sure the soles of my boots have melted. Five tom turkeys at the lake, that's it.

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/05/17 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
DeWitt County ~ Worked outside in the pasture, didn't see anything and it was a scorcher again. When I came back to the house at 1pm, my 3YO 8pt was waiting for me. I fed him some corn and told him to hang close to the house but I don't think he listens to me.

The thermometer said 92°at 5pm, no wind. I'm pretty sure the soles of my boots have melted. Five tom turkeys at the lake, that's it.

Oh, still haven't heard a shot today. That has never happened on an opening day. Sure enough, my buck listened. Waiting for me in the driveway. Just fed him again.

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/05/17 01:13 AM

Saw a total of 12 deer, 2 spikes that I know of the rest doe and fawns
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/05/17 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Originally Posted By: Erathkid

He's a shooter. Just not for me. Not on opening morning anyway.

Very cool looking buck
Posted By: Waylay85

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/06/17 01:00 AM

Stephens county - hottest opener ever, and not the good kind. Saturday morning Saw 6 doe, one of them was hot and had bucks chasing her hard. One buck was a nice 8 but wasn't a shooter. Didn't go out that afternoon, 93 degrees... The deer are close though. Should be some good action next weekend.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/06/17 02:08 AM

No way in hell. I delivered some firewood. Haha in 80 somethin 50 somethin winds
Posted By: -Brandon

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/06/17 02:14 AM

Somervell County. Long spike shot 1015am Saturday. Also saw a couple of non-shooter 8 points. Sunday morning 4 doe and 1 nice 9 point that I let walk at 915am.

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/06/17 02:44 AM

DeWitt County ~ not a single shot heard all weekend. I started hunting in this county in 1969, and I can tell you that is a first.

About 10 o'clock last night, I did step out on my porch in my skivvies and shot a hog. A sounder of 15!
Posted By: burnit

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/07/17 03:13 AM

Montague county. Very few shots heard on Saturday. Sunday morning sounded like opening weekend should. Only a few does were seen and one wide 8 point. Bunches of hogs though. There are 4 fewer hogs running around now.
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Opening Day by County - 11/07/17 03:31 AM

Hot and slow up in Dickens and King Counties....wheat is looking good...had extra time to work on the cabin.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum