Texas Hunting Forum

Lighting in my blind...

Posted By: chrswr

Lighting in my blind... - 10/31/17 05:20 PM

I like to get into the blind, open er up and just sit and chill quietly until its time...dark doesnt bother me

But I'm going to be taking my 7 year old with me, if I have a green light on inside the blind with the windows open, that should be ok shouldnt it.... and not draw attention or spook as long as the kiddo is still and quiet...

Right? Thoughts?
Posted By: RightTurnTaxidermy

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 10/31/17 06:22 PM

I USE JUST A REGULAR LED LIGHT HAS NEVER BOTHERED THEM
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 10/31/17 06:35 PM

You won't need a light. Just tell him that the light might scare the deer, if he wants to be a hunter, he will understand. This is an important part of the development of an outdoorsman, learning to function and not being afraid of the dark.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Western

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 10/31/17 06:53 PM

I think even green or red lights will show shadow movement detectable to deer, in any case, they can spot movement pretty good whatever the light situation is, lights out and quite as Gary said, may be the best way for development. I have had deer spot me from just the hue of my gas heater casting shadows behind me at times.

BTW, I have red and white led lights to use when I 1st get in the blind if needed, use the red or white walking back to the house if at all.
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 10/31/17 08:46 PM

get a sleeping bag and put it in the blind. Once you get in there, have your son take a nap until the sun comes up. No need to make him sit quietly in the dark when you can't see anything. Once the deer start to show up, you can gently wake him up.
Posted By: SlaminEm

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 10/31/17 09:39 PM

let my son sleep in the blind he kept kicking the blind moving around
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 10/31/17 10:30 PM

I found this LED light that looks like a light switch at Academy. Went to the auto parts store and got the red/clear tape that folks put on their tail lamp when it brakes. I also use a little camouflage material with stick pins to make a cover over the window to diffuse the light. the material is mesh so I can still see it turning light and can move it jut by pulling out the stick pin. Helps me get things organized before sunup.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 10/31/17 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: gary roberson
You won't need a light. Just tell him that the light might scare the deer, if he wants to be a hunter, he will understand. This is an important part of the development of an outdoorsman, learning to function and not being afraid of the dark.
Adios,
Gary

I agree with Gary. It's not like you're sending him out by himself.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 10/31/17 10:40 PM

I took mine when he was 7. No lights, you being there should be enough.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 10/31/17 10:45 PM

Full moon this Saturday. You should not need ANY light at all.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 11/01/17 12:01 AM

do what EVER is best for YOUR boy.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 11/01/17 12:11 AM

Gonna have a full moon be cool to tell some stories. But hey my kids slept until it was time.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 11/01/17 12:12 AM

Adios,
Gary

I agree with Gary on this. One other thought to share here. Taking an innocent young kid hunting is not the full on hunting trip you may be used too. They are going to move and they are going to make noise. They don't have the benefit of your experience and at this point they are going more to be with you than hunt. Expect a litany of mistakes and be patient. When they are ready to go it's time to go. Have a good time and don't expect too much out of them. Give them the freedom to make mistakes and learn. They will get better over time. Enjoy the heck out of taking them.
Posted By: LuckyVictim

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 11/01/17 06:15 AM

A Green, very low lumin (20>), directional light hung below the level of windows pointed down. Shouldn't provide much over-spill to light up the blind, in other words I think you'd be good. If it were me, I'd sit closes to the back wall of the blind to minimize any shadow movement, and on a night with stars and moon out I would imagine it would be rather tough for an animal to detect.
Either way, when my nephew goes, he uses the flashlight and puts the sleeping bag over his entire body as he reads or plays.
Posted By: phathawg

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 11/01/17 10:42 AM

I remember Dad taking me when I was little. I must have been a Big pain in the rear for him. He took me anyway and was even semi-patient. Those are good memories. Dad's gone now but the memories are still there. Don't forget you'll be making memories for both of you. Make them good ones. Good luck.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 11/01/17 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
Adios,
Gary

I agree with Gary on this. One other thought to share here. Taking an innocent young kid hunting is not the full on hunting trip you may be used too. They are going to move and they are going to make noise. They don't have the benefit of your experience and at this point they are going more to be with you than hunt. Expect a litany of mistakes and be patient. When they are ready to go it's time to go. Have a good time and don't expect too much out of them. Give them the freedom to make mistakes and learn. They will get better over time. Enjoy the heck out of taking them.

Great advice here! I wasn't blessed with boys, I was blessed with two daughters who don't care for hunting, but I doubt I would have been real patient with a son that was restless as a Dad but now that I'm a PawPaw it's different! I can't wait to take my grandson deer hunting!

I hope you and your son enjoy the heck out of spending time in the stand together and I hope you guys see a lot of deer!
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 11/01/17 01:56 PM

i have one of those stick on/ battery operated lights under the shelf in our tower blind. I'll typically keep it on and the windows closed until 10 min before Day light. I'll also bring his DVD player or let him play on my phone if we get in real early. I'd rather him be quiet than worried about a little light 15 feet in the air. Doesn't seem to cause issue in my area.
On cold mornings, the heater puts out some good light too.. take a quiet breakfast and let him work on that till light. Just keep them busy so they stay quiet. we'll take pop tarts ( in a zip lock) or powdered donuts, jerky.. something quiet
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 11/01/17 03:46 PM

I have had a little experience in this field as Deb and I were blessed with three boys that loved to hunt and still do. My boys were raised here in Menard and we were blessed to hunt several ranches here on invites so I started hauling them to sit in a blind when they were 4 years old. While they wiggled around a little, they were mature enough that when I told them to be quite they would at least for a little while.
They were never afraid of the dark and we typically walked to the blind in the dark without a flashlight unless I thought that the snake were crawling. I believe that sitting in the dark is part of a maturation process that all youngsters should go through, especially if they are afraid.
My boys would sit on my knee and strain their eyes trying to make out the outline or a motion of a deer or other critter as daylight increased. You can sure put some big antlers on a stump or old doe before daybreak...but that just increases the excitement.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: HCGedge3

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 11/02/17 03:11 AM

I use a small flashlight or my cell phone light
Posted By: mow

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 11/02/17 09:43 AM

leave the windows closed and blacked out till feeder goes off..or untill first light..my windows are wood so i can just leave them down and have a light on and no light bleeds out of blind.. turn light off,then open windows before first light..this works well when i get to blind the night before so i wont spook deer coming in the early am.(only did this once).for the most part..i open only one window at a time..i have 4 so i can use the blackout darkness to avoid silhouette me .. agree with what gary said
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Lighting in my blind... - 11/02/17 11:47 AM

I would do what is comfortable for the boy.
Everyone is going to be different, and you as his teacher will have to identify his fears.
I didn't start actually hunting by myself until I was 13, and my dad sat me down on a tree limb in a natural brush ground blind. No fancy blinds back then, only old school natural ground blinds, or board steps nailed to a tree with a board to sit on.
I was scared as all get out until it finally started getting daylight.
Once I saw the deer I wasn't scared anymore, and I ended up killing my first buck at about 10 paces from my blind.
I'm now 70 and have hunted every season I was able. I somehow survived my early hunting years.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum