Texas Hunting Forum

Speaking of names...

Posted By: Texas Dan

Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 11:24 AM

Here's a topic that always brings a laugh or two.

What's the name of the stand you'll be hunting on Opening Day?
Posted By: Bobby Hill

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 03:54 PM

I have a "refrigerator pond stand" and "the corner stand", will be in the corner stand opening day. Other notable mentions from friends and family.... "The T in the road stand", "The Peach stand", & "Nose bleed stand"
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 03:56 PM

press box
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 03:57 PM

Been switching from "backstand" to "Cedarblind" to "roughnight" most of october... "lakestand" and the box will get added next week
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 03:57 PM

Tower, tank, sleepy, 4th, tripod, or bow blind
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 04:04 PM

We have Luke's Blind, Albert's Blind, Nono's Blind, and the Tall Blind.
Posted By: pnh

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 04:14 PM

A cajun friend of my son who hunts with us hunts in the Coon [censored] Hilton.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 04:16 PM

The executive, the swamp, green monster, middle blind, main gate blind, or hog wild.
Posted By: JKC

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 04:26 PM

On our lease, UFO, Tom, Javelina,Rimrock, Lincoln, Windmill, Pipeline, Panther, Connor, and Mesquite.
Posted By: D'hanis

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 04:32 PM

Lets see.... We have the Tank blind, Owl blind, Hill Blind, back fence spot, and T in road spot haha
Posted By: Tony270

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 04:36 PM

Two Man Blind, Spider Blind, Hill Top Blind, Megan Blind, Haley Blind & Sera Blind
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 04:37 PM

Slaughterhouse
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 04:47 PM

Dutch Oven
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 04:55 PM

Turkey Creek / 10 Beers / Hog Hill / Sniper
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 04:55 PM

That other guys stand!
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 04:56 PM

I'll be hunting the High School Blind on opening morning and Taj Mahal that evening.
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 05:06 PM

Sunset, Fence Row, Nowitzki, The Pond, Pops hut, D's Tree, Lizards blind......all bow blinds

I'll be in D's Tree
Posted By: VMike

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 05:25 PM

We have "the Swamp", the "T", the "River", and where I will be opening morning, the "Doe factory". Cause where the ladies are, hopefully the boys will follow>
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 05:30 PM

The Taj

JR
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 05:36 PM

I'll be hunting High Anxiety if it hasn't fallen over before I get there.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 05:45 PM

Table Dance Quad Pod.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 06:51 PM

My BIL and I will likely be hunting the Old Corner and the Busted Windmill opening morning, with possible audibles to New Corner, 534, the Barn or Curt's.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 07:05 PM

What? No one has a "Drunk Stand"?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
What? No one has a "Drunk Stand"?
Drinking and guns aren't a good mix. Id expect you to know that.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 07:18 PM

"The Flat"

It's a small limestone flat about 100' from the canyon floor. Hottest spot for Mule deer, Auodad, and Javi's on the ranch.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 07:21 PM

funny this brought up some old memories from years ago from my dad's hunting crew and their naming conventions of stands.

One guy built a little ground blind out of left over ribbed paneling (the kind that is about 3/16-1/4 inch thick, scabbed up some 2x2s in the corners to attach paneling and roof at the 4 corners ... there used to be a pizza place called Shakey's Pizza parlor in the area ... that stand got named Shakey's.

another was a very very VERY tall tower that sat on the edge of a steep hill, probably 24+ feet from base to floor no windows or door, only covered on 3 sides with metal folding chair (cold motor-scooter with a north wind!!!). They called it the Eagle's nest. I asked my dad why that name and his reply was that if you ever fell out of that stand, an eagle could build a nest if your butt before you hit the ground.

current stands are Sand Hills, Green, Dad's (mine), north, canyon, south box, gate, barn
Posted By: TBirdFF4

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 08:50 PM

We have "The Pond Stand", "Food Plot", "Playboy", and "The Solar Stand".

It's family land. The solar stand is mine, and I have it rigged for electricity. grin
The Playboy is my cousin's, and it's named so, because opening day last season we hung playboys all over the inside along with Dallas Cowboys stuff (he's a Packers fan loco) as a joke.
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 09:19 PM

Chevron location, gotta pay the bills before my season kicks off! Best of luck to you all. I'll catch up next week
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 10:56 PM

Last lease I was on had the following: Paul's rock, outhouse stand, back corner, smoker's, ridge rock, the point, high saddle, low saddle, fuzzy, dam stand, limp di(k stand, playhouse, earthquake, middle ridge and north mountain.

A friend's place I hunt sometimes has: Christmas, brown box, 181, arab stand (it's in the middle-east shinoak pasture). condo, big box, tower, church stand and several others.
Posted By: phathawg

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 11:33 PM

Outhouse/tripod/dad's (died last year)/crate/doyle's
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Speaking of names... - 10/31/17 11:45 PM

Opening of rifle season will be "4G", the cell signal is great there up
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Speaking of names... - 11/01/17 01:15 AM

We have #1, #3, #4, #5 aka the canyon, #6 aka the creek, #7, #9, Myers' Cliff and the Powerline. We eliminated #2 a few years ago because the path in would frequently flood. We sold the pasture #8 was in to our neighbor just in case you were wondering. To answer the OP's question, blind selection will depend on the wind. That will narrow it down to 3 or 4 and then whoever is hunting will choose.
Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Re: Speaking of names... - 11/01/17 03:08 AM

We have worked our way up to 4 stands: Tower, Tank, Fort Knox, and OG (Original Green Blind)
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Speaking of names... - 11/01/17 04:01 AM

Lightning blind (all metal), four corners, Power line (mine), the Highway blind, Far out (mine), and a couple of tank blinds.
Posted By: ETXHunter56

Re: Speaking of names... - 11/01/17 12:08 PM

I'll be in the "School Stand" in the morning and "Trump Tower" in the evening.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Speaking of names... - 11/01/17 12:31 PM

not sure yet.
1, 2, 3, 6, or tower.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Speaking of names... - 11/01/17 12:57 PM

High fence blind. Spanish oak blind. Big field blind. Chucks blind. Chris' blind. Chance' blind.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Speaking of names... - 11/02/17 04:44 PM

Funny how names stick in your mind for blinds and bring on some memories. Most of the names make sense once you learn the history or geography.

I've hunted the Horse Pasture, Salt Lick, Rocking Chair, #6, #7, Northwest Corner, Main & Broadway, Spring Tank (maybe the best ever for turkey), Airport, Post Oak Flats, Deep Woods, Park's Place, Taj Majal, High School, and others. Each one brings back a memory. Failed on the biggest dear of my life at High Hill, but later got a trophy from the same blind.
Posted By: BMag

Re: Speaking of names... - 11/02/17 04:58 PM

Bread Sack. Not the name of a blind, but the nickname a guy got while in the blind with his girlfriend. peep
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Speaking of names... - 11/02/17 06:12 PM

I hunt either the creek or the pipeline. Bet you'll never guess why those names. grin
Posted By: jcneef

Re: Speaking of names... - 11/02/17 07:31 PM

ill be in "too tall" i can see three counties over haha
Posted By: GLC

Re: Speaking of names... - 11/02/17 07:37 PM

Trump Tower, Wasp Nest, The Ritz, Flapper, and a few unnamed tripod stands to choose from.
Posted By: bdgreen

Re: Speaking of names... - 11/02/17 09:44 PM

High pockets blind, oak patch, big creek & little creek, new cut, rig road and mail box.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum