Texas Hunting Forum

The chasing phase?

Posted By: Aggieman775

The chasing phase? - 10/30/17 01:35 PM

Last year I saw them good chasing one day in the middle of bow season and that was it, but never had a cold snap this early. It was 43 degrees Saturday morning and my grandpa saw a small buck chasing a doe and a good buck chasing a doe. The next morning it was 28 degrees and I saw 12. Not one buck. All does and saw 2 decent size groups with one having 4 and the other having 5, and they ended up all eating in the food plot together even though they came in an hour apart. I saw one doe earlier that acted like she may have been getting chased just never saw a buck. With me seeing that many does at one time are they already close to the end in chasing or is it just the beginning? I’m in camp county
Posted By: BenBob

Re: The chasing phase? - 10/30/17 01:46 PM

Hard to tell from your sightings. I am in West Texas and most of our rutting activity occurs within a week or so of December 14. I would say that you are just seeing the beginning of the rut in your area. What is the buck to do ratio in your hun ting area?
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: The chasing phase? - 10/30/17 01:49 PM

I saw bucks chasing all weekend. 2 were hit on the highway Friday night less than a mile as the crow flies from my place. One had his antlers removed (hmmmm) the other was a spike. I saw 9 bucks come in to the area we sprayed hot doe scent in. The buck my boy shot was swollen up and smelled very musky. It was awesome. I saw a giant but never had him in bow range and he never slowed down for the boy to get a shot. You want to talk about excitement in the post oak savannah? We had it! it was 31 degrees and frost Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday really turned on.
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: The chasing phase? - 10/30/17 01:51 PM

Denton County had a good buck nose down tail up following a lone doe at close to end of legal shooting time Saturday evening. Also had does come through with nothing following them. My guess is they are just getting going but I am no expert, just telling what I saw.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum