Texas Hunting Forum

Scent control

Posted By: Lipan Creep

Scent control - 10/30/17 02:12 AM

What is your reccmended method/product for concealing and covering your scent.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Scent control - 10/30/17 02:16 AM

I just use uneventful detergent and do fine in a pop up bow hunting. If you're 100yards away don't worry about it. Just be smart about cologne, lotions and etc
Posted By: PWT

Re: Scent control - 10/30/17 02:44 AM

The wind is the only fool proof method imo
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Scent control - 10/30/17 03:28 AM

Wind. Sometimes not even that.
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: Scent control - 10/30/17 03:29 AM

I get deer right next to my blind that is on a 5ft tower so I use scent lok camo and an Ozonics. Other than that, I use the detergents, soaps, deodorant and store my stuff in those big zip lock bags and a scent lok tote with the carbon sheet in it. Sitting in a blind is so much different than being 20ft in a tree stand or on the ground where you can position yourself with the wind. I used to hunt on the ground with my recurve a lot and used natural ground blinds that I would make in the off season. I kinda miss those days and hope to get back to hunting like that once I get my back surgery over with.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Scent control - 10/30/17 03:42 PM

I don’t bother at all during rifle season, and rarely bothered during bow season. A popup blind helps contain your scent. So does being 20ft up in a tree.

I do take a shower before I leave for a morning hunt though. I’d rather the deer smell my Irish spring than day old sweat.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Scent control - 10/30/17 06:18 PM

This question gets asked seemingly ever week and there's only one answer backed by science and centuries of hunting/gatherers providing for their families. That answer is the wind.
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Scent control - 10/30/17 07:06 PM

LOL...my Dad sat in a lawn chair by a broken Pecan Tree limb , no blind, smoking his cigarettes and got a deer every year. even got two Turkeys! He always said Wind and sitting still was the most important. Of course he was 30 yards from a feeder.
Posted By: Trophytaker3

Re: Scent control - 10/30/17 07:12 PM

I use Dead Down wind scent cover. Works excellent, it works real good on yotes and foxes.
Posted By: waderaider1

Re: Scent control - 10/30/17 10:18 PM

wash all clothes for the weekend hunt in sports wash. hunting clothes go in a scent blocker bag. dailey clothes in getaway bag. shower before each hunt using dead down wind soap and deodarent. i then use
Conquests Evercalm as a cover scent and cedar oil.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Scent control - 10/30/17 10:24 PM

I use the wind and an ozonics machine
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Scent control - 10/30/17 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: waderaider1
wash all clothes for the weekend hunt in sports wash. hunting clothes go in a scent blocker bag. dailey clothes in getaway bag. shower before each hunt using dead down wind soap and deodarent. i then use
Conquests Evercalm as a cover scent and cedar oil.

Dead down wind thanks you.
Posted By: brokenpole

Re: Scent control - 10/31/17 12:07 AM

Wind
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Scent control - 10/31/17 02:19 AM

We have so much year around human activity on our place that he human scent doesn't seem to have any effect on the deer.
Posted By: splash556

Re: Scent control - 10/31/17 02:28 AM

Like most, I hunt the wind. I also use unscented soap and detergent. Can't hurt - I think.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Scent control - 10/31/17 01:16 PM

peep Allsup's bean burrito still keeps the wildlife at ease. banana2 banana2
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Scent control - 10/31/17 03:48 PM

If using scent control, I use a mix of Vanilla extract and water. Worked well for last few years.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum