Texas Hunting Forum

keeping meat cold while in transit

Posted By: Buzzsaw

keeping meat cold while in transit - 10/30/17 12:02 AM

Looks like next weekend is going to be hot.

So hypothetically , you shoot a deer, skin it, quarter it, put in a large Igloo cooler (cant afford Yeti)

Do you put meat in heavy plastic bags, put in ice chest cover in ice or put meat in ice chest unwrapped and cover it with ice, keeping it completely covered till you get to processor?

remember its going to be hot
Posted By: Trophytaker3

Re: keeping meat cold while in transit - 10/30/17 12:04 AM

Most people that i know put it in regular white trash bags, and tie it up real good.
grin
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: keeping meat cold while in transit - 10/30/17 12:11 AM

No point of putting the meat in plastic, then on ice. Just put it on ice and go on.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: keeping meat cold while in transit - 10/30/17 12:21 AM

I've wrapped in a tarp, stuffed ice in the cavity and put ice on top of the deer.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: keeping meat cold while in transit - 10/30/17 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
No point of putting the meat in plastic, then on ice. Just put it on ice and go on.

X2 - there are anerobic bacteria that can be held & thrive inside the bag - best to just pack in ice, & occasionally drain & replenish ice ( kinda of a slow continual ‘rinsing’ of the quarters).
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: keeping meat cold while in transit - 10/30/17 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000

X2 - there are anerobic bacteria that can be held & thrive inside the bag - best to just pack in ice, & occasionally drain & replenish ice ( kinda of a slow continual ‘rinsing’ of the quarters).

up
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: keeping meat cold while in transit - 10/30/17 03:37 AM

I used to bring a bunch of coolers but this year I am using a huge plastic storage bin with a snap on top. I stacked two together to make it more durable. I also have reusable big game bags for packing meat but never end up using them. I do most of my processing at home.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: keeping meat cold while in transit - 10/30/17 03:39 PM

We’ve been doing it this way for years. Never had a problem with just plain old ice.

I hunt an hour from the house, so if I shoot a deer on Monday, I’ll gut it at the farm, drive home, skin it, quarter it, rinse it, and cover it in ice for a couple days with the drain plug open. Backstrap and tenderloins will go into the fridge or freezer right away. Then I’ll process all the quarters on Wednesday night probably.

I skin them in the back yard. Part of our fence is down right now, I hate my next door neighbors, so I hope they get a show.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum