Texas Hunting Forum

Do Cameras Scare Deer?

Posted By: BayouGuy

Do Cameras Scare Deer? - 10/29/17 05:19 AM

Here's a video from one of my shooting lanes.

Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Do Cameras Scare Deer? - 10/29/17 06:23 AM

Anything with human scent or that’s out of place has the potential to disturb them.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Do Cameras Scare Deer? - 10/29/17 11:31 AM

Looked more curious than afraid.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Do Cameras Scare Deer? - 10/29/17 12:54 PM

I've acquired lots of pics of deer checking out my cameras over the years, but I've never seen any evidence that they've ever been spooked by them. I think checking a camera too often does significantly more harm than the camera itself. The camera is simply part of the landscape, like a feeder or stand.
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: Do Cameras Scare Deer? - 10/30/17 03:45 AM

Yeah I always get that one doe who is looking right at my camera lol. But they don’t get spooked by them at all.
Posted By: SowHntr

Re: Do Cameras Scare Deer? - 10/30/17 04:32 AM

I hope so, because someone was nice enough to steal all mine a few weeks ago. I do notice a lot of pics that the deer are staring right at them and alerted
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Do Cameras Scare Deer? - 10/30/17 04:44 AM

Many of them make a little noise right before the picture is taken, I have seen them react to it. Scent is another thing.

I remember one of the first one's I bought many years ago was the old 35mm with a flash. I was so excited because I was going to get that picture of the elusive bucks that I just knew showed up once I left. Well, I got it all set up and was in the stand. It started to get late and I had 8-10 deer around when a bright white light lit up the world!!! Scared the begeezus out me and the deer (I had forgot it was there). I might as well had shot at them. Ended up getting plenty of pictures on it, but man that first time was a circus rofl

Never did find that elusive night time buck either bang
Posted By: 82Ag

Re: Do Cameras Scare Deer? - 10/30/17 03:50 PM

He's just letting you know right up front that he's not 13 inches wide, and neither antler is unbranched. He feels safe now!
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Do Cameras Scare Deer? - 10/30/17 06:19 PM

Those first 35mm cameras did.
Posted By: fishhound

Re: Do Cameras Scare Deer? - 11/03/17 01:05 PM

Young bucks and does don’t seem to mind. I used to use a cuddeback (with a flash). I had lots of pictures good bucks. When I’d get a picture of a mature buck the next picture was usually of the buck looking at the camera then I never caught them on camera again. I would still see them in the area but not at the feeder. I’m convinced that a flash will scare them. I now use a no glo and they don’t seem to mind. All that being said, it will depend on how much pressure is put on the area also.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum