Texas Hunting Forum

Opening weekend tips

Posted By: crozierk

Opening weekend tips - 10/27/17 11:05 PM

Hey y'all, just wanted to thank everyone so much for the great info you guys have been sharing. I am headed out to my first deer hunt next weekend on my FIL's place, and all your tips and experience have helped me set up for what I hope will be a good season. I've got a few bucks and a ton of doe showing up on my cameras. First time there have been any game cams out there, so it has been pretty neat seeing what all has showed up. Any last minute tips or tricks for a good opening weekend? Really I am just looking forward to a nice weekend out on the property, but was curious to hear any preparations you guys might make as far as setting yourself up for success in the last couple weeks before gun season opens up. Thanks again for all of yall's info, and hopefully I will have a picture or two to add come November 6! I'll be hunting out in Hamilton County on about 50 acres, FWIW.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/27/17 11:26 PM

Don't eat or drink anything unusual to your system the night before the opener. (don't want any opening morning surprises) Don't shoot a doe by herself. Bring a sandwich and a couple bottles of water, be prepared to stay longer than you plan. If all you're seeing is does, don't get discouraged. Where there are girls, there will be boys. When you do shoot the big boy, don't panic. It may be tough, but sit tight and be still and quiet for about 10-15 minutes no matter how good a shot you think it was. Nothing worse than jumping up a dying deer and still trying to find it three hours later. Give him time to die. If you're hunting with friends, politely request that they don't immediately come to help if you shoot. Well intentioned buds can often turn a "there he is right there," into a "I think he ran that way." Best of luck and be safe. Congrats on the first hunt, we're all pulling for ya'!

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/27/17 11:31 PM

Thanks drifter! Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind not shooting a doe by herself? Good tips. My over-excited behind probably would've gone barreling out of the stand as soon as I pulled the trigger. haha.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/27/17 11:42 PM

The lone doe is frequently a fawn, maybe even a button buck. No offense, but especially to a new hunter. You need other deer to compare size.

edited to add: If you see two doe the same size, they're probably twins.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 12:32 AM

Remember that deer can easily run some distance and show little or no sign of being hit. Pay close attention to where the deer ran after the shot by noticing specific trees or brush it passed as it disappeared out of sight. The heart and lung area just behind the front shoulder is the most forgiving area and carries the broadest margin for error. And if you don't spend at least 30 minutes looking for the deer and look as far as 200 yards away from where you hit it, you haven't looked at all. Some might even suggest twice that time and distance as the minimum.

Good luck.
Posted By: Western

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 12:52 AM

What part of Hamilton county? just curious, used to work and live in the area. Depending where you are there, be extra patient, there can be some impressive bucks in some areas of Hamilton Co.

I'd say to maximize your odds, especially as rut approaches, stay in the stand as long as you can handle it, aim for 11am if you even need to leave, then get back in early, like 1-2ish.

Go through scenarios in your head while your in the blind, like "if a buck comes out here, what do I need to do to get a shot", the more you prepare mentally, the better you will handle the jitters and act.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 01:08 AM

1 Find some Neutrogena sent free soap and scent free deodorant and start using them by Wed. use no aftershave till after the hunt.

2 Have fun... these are the best of times!
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: crozierk
Hey y'all, just wanted to thank everyone so much for the great info you guys have been sharing. I am headed out to my first deer hunt next weekend on my FIL's place, and all your tips and experience have helped me set up for what I hope will be a good season. I've got a few bucks and a ton of doe showing up on my cameras. First time there have been any game cams out there, so it has been pretty neat seeing what all has showed up. Any last minute tips or tricks for a good opening weekend? Really I am just looking forward to a nice weekend out on the property, but was curious to hear any preparations you guys might make as far as setting yourself up for success in the last couple weeks before gun season opens up. Thanks again for all of yall's info, and hopefully I will have a picture or two to add come November 6! I'll be hunting out in Hamilton County on about 50 acres, FWIW.

Get in the stand early, an hour before throw time / first light is not unreasonable, assuming you use feeders. Don't try a bunch of gimmicky stuff.........the deer are there for a reason already. Squeeze (don't pull) the trigger. The shot should surprise you, not be anticipated to recoil / kick of the rifle. Have a sharp knife and a plan to get the deer gutted and cooled as soon as you can but don't rush straight to trailing the deer immediately after the shot. If you have access to running water, clean the body cavity well. Processors appreciate deer that are well taken care of in the field. Most of all, just enjoy the time. The thrill is not always the kill. Hunting is fun in and of itself. A kill is a bonus. Never forget that. Best of luck buddy!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 02:19 AM

Two words: toilet paper.

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 02:41 AM

Thanks y'all! I work 6 days a week so regardless of what happens I'm gonna have a good time. If it ends with a deer, great. If not, there's always the next weekend!
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 04:27 AM

Pack everything you need the night before the hunt. Nothing sucks more than getting in the blind and realizing you forgot shells, binoculars or a flashlight.

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Western
What part of Hamilton county? just curious, used to work and live in the area. Depending where you are there, be extra patient, there can be some impressive bucks in some areas of Hamilton Co.

I'd say to maximize your odds, especially as rut approaches, stay in the stand as long as you can handle it, aim for 11am if you even need to leave, then get back in early, like 1-2ish.

Go through scenarios in your head while your in the blind, like "if a buck comes out here, what do I need to do to get a shot", the more you prepare mentally, the better you will handle the jitters and act.

It's down towards Purmela area, South of Hamilton

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Greg Z
1 Find some Neutrogena sent free soap and scent free deodorant and start using them by Wed. use no aftershave till after the hunt.

2 Have fun... these are the best of times!

I was wondering about the different scent control methods. Based on the winds in that area I've got a really great approach to the blinds, as long as it doesn't change on me. But I did want to take some extra steps.
Posted By: Western

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

It's down towards Purmela area, South of Hamilton

Should be plenty of deer around there, I have a buddy that has a lease outside Evant, has been on it since the mid 90's, a lot of places are mld around him.
Posted By: TBirdFF4

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 03:25 PM

Opening Weekend is usually right around the beginning of the rut. Be patient, and hunt late. I hunt around Shive, and 3 years ago shot this guy at 12:15.

These guys are on camera this year.

Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 03:27 PM

Don’t get drunk and sleep in

Set two alarms Incase one has an issue

Don’t screw up and miss the shot
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 03:40 PM

I never hunt without a range finder.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 03:54 PM

opening weekend is a good time to plan on spending the whole day in the stand. lots of people out hunting that will be moving around and pushing deer keeping many of them moving with their impatience to get back to camp. That really works well on a place like I hunt that is 140 acres with places about that size around me. Let them push the deer to me when they get out of the blind and start moving around about 9:30 or 10.
Deer pattern us a lot better than we pattern deer

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: TBirdFF4
Opening Weekend is usually right around the beginning of the rut. Be patient, and hunt late. I hunt around Shive, and 3 years ago shot this guy at 12:15.

These guys are on camera this year.

WOW. We haven't had anything that big show up to the feeders so far. I had an 8 or 10 point show up one day around 9 am. A couple 6 pointers. Seems to be younger bucks mostly based on what I can tell. Lotttsss of doe though. And a big paint boar I am waiting on if he slips up. haha
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/28/17 11:18 PM

Well, good luck to you all who hunt with you this coming weekend, first of all think safe! without the typical usuall hunting stuff you take, enjoy and remember the day. Then go from there, no ones perfect and mistakes will be made I know, after 40+ yrs of hunting sometimes you all forget something!
My worst weekend i forgot my binocs! hated it with a passion! now i keep an extra pair down at our farm.
Also a pee jug with you in the blind, never know when you have that urge. If your not a coffee drinker you wont have to worry about that too much!

Post some pics if you down something nice, some young bucks around the Brenham area already sniffing some does, so some rutting cant be far!

hunt safe...
Posted By: Stub

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/29/17 12:21 PM

Get in the stand 30 minutes before first light, sunrise 11/04/2017 is 7:51, first legal shooting time 7:21 be in the stand by 6:50 am up
Eat something not spicy before you leave or bring a snack, I like plain strawberry pop tarts, filling and plugging on the back end grin

If you shoot a deer and it is still standing there. calmly reload and shoot again, if you shoot a deer and it runs a short distance and stops, shoot it again, moral of the story shoot until the deer is down!

When you are in the blind stay as far into the back of the blind as you can get with good vision of your hunting area, keep motion in the blind to a minimum. Any moves you make inn the blind make them slow and methodical, deer spot quick movement.

When I am not hunting I hang my outer clothes on a clothes line or tree branch to air out. I you have a cedar trees around, brake a small branch of and brush your hunting clothes with them, natural cover scent.

Sun and Moon Data for One Day

U.S. Naval Observatory
Astronomical Applications Department

Hamilton, Hamilton County, TX (Longitude W98° 7', Latitude N31° 42')

Sunrise 7:51 a.m.
Sunset 6:40 p.m.

Have fun and good luck cheers
Posted By: Pinky3169

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/30/17 01:59 PM

All great suggestions. I'll add on to it.. Like stated numerous times... Get in early and stay as late as you can.. Bucks are cruising and I was seeing them all throughout the day.. I stayed until about noon and went back to eat and went out for the rest of the day.. When it comes to shooting, several mistakes are commonly made.. When you're looking though the scope at a deer and your heart rate is elevated, don't wait for your crosshairs to get on the vitals and jerk the trigger.. Let the crosshairs move and add a constant press until the shot breaks. You're not moving as much as you think. After the shot breaks, try to find the deer in your scope (follow through). You will be able to see better through the scope, so there is no need to lift your head up. This is a common habit for people I teach. Lastly, have fun, enjoy your time in the field. I don't care if I see deer, I get to enjoy every sunrise and sunset, and watch the woods come alive.. No better feeling to me.. Good luck
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 12:00 AM

If you’re hunting Sunday. Don’t forget to set your clock back Saturday night for daylight savings
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 12:32 AM

Should be a good weekend. Good luck

Here’s all you need to know....

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: sbushee
If you’re hunting Sunday. Don’t forget to set your clock back Saturday night for daylight savings
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: RedSnake

Based on this, I will be asleep at both major periods. Or I could sleep in and go out at lunch and be back well before dinner. grin

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 01:36 PM

Are these major and minor feeding times? Essentially the best time to still be hunting?

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 01:45 PM

You got it!
Posted By: varnoldi13

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 01:51 PM

what app is that? I have a website I check the write it all down on a calendar for the month.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 01:54 PM

Calm down, and enjoy the hunt and your buddies that you are hunting with. Most of all, be safe as there will likely be several more opening weekends.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Big Puma

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 02:41 PM

don't get too excited. breathe, relax, and squeeze. I jerked my first shot last year frown
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 02:55 PM

The boy got his Monster on youth weekend. I'm leaving today for a bow hunting week then switch over to rifle on Saturday.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 03:05 PM

dont pass one up on the first day you would shoot on the last

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 03:13 PM

Thanks for all the advice y'all. I honestly am just stoked to get out to the place for a day. I cant go down there until Sunday, maybe everyone around me shooting on saturday will push some deer my way sunday. slinger
Posted By: Buddy

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 04:02 PM

iSolunar - I have it on my iphone

Originally Posted By: varnoldi13

what app is that? I have a website I check the write it all down on a calendar for the month.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 07:51 PM

redsnake, I used to have that ap on my phone but no longer ... you had a beta version that was free at one point???

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 08:22 PM

Yeah, and I guess it isn't available on Android. Looks like a pretty cool app based on the descriptions I can find.

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
redsnake, I used to have that ap on my phone but no longer ... you had a beta version that was free at one point???

Want a promo code for free download?
Posted By: PMK

Re: Opening weekend tips - 10/31/17 10:43 PM

yes, please!
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Opening weekend tips - 11/01/17 12:26 AM

Have fun

Re: Opening weekend tips - 11/01/17 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: PMK
yes, please!

PM Sent
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Opening weekend tips - 11/01/17 03:24 AM

Yeah, and I guess it isn't available on Android. Looks like a pretty cool app based on the descriptions I can find.

Still have it on my phone, it is a cool app up
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Opening weekend tips - 11/01/17 03:36 AM

Gonna be high 80's. Bring lots of beer for after the hunt.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Opening weekend tips - 11/01/17 03:53 AM

sun screen

mosquito repellent

dove camo

swim suit
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Opening weekend tips - 11/01/17 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Still have it on my phone, it is a cool app up

Looks like enough of yall like the app, gonna get it too. Only $4.99 up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum