Texas Hunting Forum

Cooler size for two deer

Posted By: scot

Cooler size for two deer - 10/14/17 11:04 PM

If you were going to go on a guaranteed hunt and shoot two does possibly a cull and a doe, what’s the minimum size cooler you’d need? Deer will be quartered. And don’t need to keep them cold extremely long?
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/14/17 11:42 PM

Two deer in one cooler......120 quart still be limited on ice.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/15/17 12:23 AM

100-120
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/15/17 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Walkabout
Two deer in one cooler......120 quart still be limited on ice.

With Texas deer in the cooler, you’ll have plenty of room for ice, but that is a good size for that reason.
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/15/17 02:56 AM

My 80qt Pelican can hold two sets of quarters if you hold your mouth just right. I’d suggest a 120-150.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/15/17 05:50 PM

I've put two quartered deer packed in ice in my 120 qt many times (with ribs). If you run out of room just de-bone your meat, will save lots of room.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/15/17 07:03 PM

Not sure but I think it is illegal to process more than a quartered deer as defined in the reg. manual. All tags have to be with each carcass. Prof of sex also. May want to touch base with game warden first.
Posted By: jadkins

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/15/17 07:07 PM

Can easily fit in a 120. I fit 3 doe easily in a 150.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/15/17 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: fishbait
Not sure but I think it is illegal to process more than a quartered deer as defined in the reg. manual. All tags have to be with each carcass. Prof of sex also. May want to touch base with game warden first.

Not illegal and not a problem. Always have tagged proof of sex for each deer that's quartered (or de-boned) on ice and you won't have a problem with a Game Warden. I tag the doe's ear and throw the heads in the back of the truck (or ty-wrap to cooler). All you gotta do.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/16/17 07:46 PM

I've done it in a 65. But they were hill country deer.

Must have a yeti or it won't work and you'll look poor..lol
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/16/17 07:59 PM

I would say you would want a 100 quart or larger but can make do with quite a bit less if you debone the ribcage(most people don't even keep anything off it but the straps and tenderloins) Cut the pelvis out and shanks off.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/16/17 08:12 PM

All the meat off 2 regular size doe with some ice, you need a 150 qt cooler up
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/17/17 01:31 PM

I have gotten a buck and doe in my 160 qt Yeti with room for ice.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/17/17 02:08 PM

You can get FOUR deer in a 152 quart cooler.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/17/17 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
You can get FOUR deer in a 152 quart cooler.

4 large does, a fawn and 20#s of ice to be exact. grin quarters, backstrap, tenderloins and neck meat stripped.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/17/17 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

Not illegal and not a problem. Always have tagged proof of sex for each deer that's quartered (or de-boned) on ice and you won't have a problem with a Game Warden. I tag the doe's ear and throw the heads in the back of the truck (or ty-wrap to cooler). All you gotta do.

page 58 of the outdoor manual indicates you cannot debone unless you have a stationary cold storage on the property. Correct me cause I like to debone in camp.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/17/17 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Wilhunt
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

page 58 of the outdoor manual indicates you cannot debone unless you have a stationary cold storage on the property. Correct me cause I like to debone in camp.

We have a refrigerator and some processing equipment and a log book for our "stationary cold storage facility on the property"
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Cooler size for two deer - 10/17/17 03:14 PM

redchevy has this been checked by a GW? We have the refrigerator, a saw and knives.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum