Texas Hunting Forum

Can Someone Please Explain MLDP To Me ?

Posted By: WileyCoyote

Can Someone Please Explain MLDP To Me ? - 10/09/17 11:43 PM

I really don't understand the MLDP program as it's shown in the guide.

I have limited access to a very small under 50 acres lease in Fayette County that is adjacent to the LCRA Land around the lake. My SinL sez they are over run with WTail Does everywhere, and my BinL is not getting around well anymore and cannot hunt alone anymore, even as close to home as the land behind his house where the tiny lease is, but has invited me to hunt with him this fall a time or two, as in the past and again for this year. So how does this work on a such a small property?
Ron

Re: Can Someone Please Explain MLDP To Me ? - 10/10/17 10:42 AM

Anybody know how this program works? How to find out if a particular property is participating, and qualified to harvest WTail does?

Large numbers of County's are tagged with the MLDP Tag designation in the Outdoor Guide as a mandatory qualifying requiremnet for harvesting WTail Doe's.
Ron
Posted By: Pinky3169

Re: Can Someone Please Explain MLDP To Me ? - 10/10/17 11:18 AM

The Land Owner of the place usually contacts the local TPWD Biologist. The Biologist will typically come meet with you, check property, browse lines etc... They will also see what improvements have been done to warrant getting on the MLD program. There is / was requirements for improvements. I think it was/is 4 out of the 7 had to be done from the approved list.

I'm not 100% sure how it works with the new Harvest / Conservation program as we stayed with the Conservation program, which requires us to keep up with land improvements, run spotlight surveys and record harvest records.

I'm sure someone can help you out more that I can..

Re: Can Someone Please Explain MLDP To Me ? - 10/10/17 12:13 PM

Thank's Pinky...given that explantion I doubt if this tiny lease will qualify, and obviously it is far too late to try and get it registered for this year.

The smidgeon of acrege in question is owned by a family that picked it up many years ago in a County Tax Sale, as I understand it and do not use it for anything except to run a few cattle on it occasionally, and at some point possibly sell it when the Family Patriarch passes.
Ron
Posted By: Pinky3169

Re: Can Someone Please Explain MLDP To Me ? - 10/10/17 01:35 PM

No problem sir..
Posted By: Russ79

Re: Can Someone Please Explain MLDP To Me ? - 10/10/17 02:08 PM

I believe it is too late for this year, but you can go to the TP&W website and use the estimator for the program to see if you would get any permits.

Re: Can Someone Please Explain MLDP To Me ? - 10/10/17 02:15 PM

Hmmm ...now thats an interesting idea...I'll take a look at it and see if my In Laws can put anything together.

I was planning on driving over to Rusk to visit the GW Office some time in next few days anyway. Thanks
Ron
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum