Texas Hunting Forum

Whats worse for deer hunting?

Posted By: SapperTitan

Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/06/17 07:23 PM

Lots of hogs or lots of coyotes?

IMO its hogs. When hogs are around and hitting feeders normally they will keep the deer away but I've seen deer in the same field as coyotes and pay them hardly any attention. Seems to me coyotes focus on old, sick, and injured deer and some fawns but I don't think they impact actual hunting experience as much as hogs do. Ive got a feeder on Ft Hood that once the hogs start using it the deer won't even come close anymore gonna have to pen it before long but I sure love shooting hogs.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/06/17 07:47 PM

Hogs can mess up a hunting spot. Around my place deer are fine with the hogs it seems they have separate feeding times, but if it rains and the hogs wallow around the feeder the deer are done with it. Coyotes don't even phase the deer unless fawns are around.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/06/17 08:08 PM

Defiantly coyote in my experience. Deer bolt when the coyotes show up or even when they smell coyotes. Which hogs I've seen them stand around and watch them. Hogs never stay at my feeder long cause I shoot them. I've had many deer come in shortly after. It might be a little different in other parts of the state but in the hill country no doubt. We've never had enough hogs in my opinion

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/06/17 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
Defiantly coyote in my experience. Deer bolt when the coyotes show up or even when they smell coyotes. Which hogs I've seen them stand around and watch them. Hogs never stay at my feeder long cause I shoot them. I've had many deer come in shortly after. It might be a little different in other parts of the state but in the hill country no doubt. We've never had enough hogs in my opinion
Im in the Hill country and have multiple sounders of over 30 hogs and lots of big boars as well. I kill them every chance I get and once they stop coming to the feeder the deer show right back up.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/06/17 08:15 PM

I've never had a coyote wreck a deer feeder.

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/06/17 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
I've never had a coyote wreck a deer feeder.
Nope but I shot one the other night eating corn at my feeder roflmao
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/06/17 08:20 PM

rofl
Posted By: DeerTamales

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/06/17 09:00 PM

I'd say hogs too.... but I have seen deer scatter with coyotes howling nearby
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/06/17 09:40 PM

It depends on where you hunt. I've been on places where we didn't have any yotes, and the pigs were all over and bad. I'd say pigs, on that place. Now, we don't have many pigs, but have a lot of yotes. I love shooting coyotes. Now where I hunt, I'd say yotes are worse.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/06/17 11:35 PM

Pigs are worse IMO. I hate coyotes though.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 02:03 AM

I don’t know, but I’d rather have a pig problem. I like killing any of them, but I suspect the pigs taste better, so that’s my preference.
Posted By: ctonsmitty

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 02:30 AM

HOGS sure enough eat more corn than Coyotes. Since the question is what is worse for deer hunting.....the answer is definately HOGS!!!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 09:24 AM

You left out turkeys.
We are covered up with hogs, coyotes, and tons of turkeys.
I refer to turkeys as feathered vacuum cleaners.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 09:50 AM

Turkeys eat good too. And they make a cool explosion of feathers when you shoot them.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 10:27 AM

Hogs or coyotes which is worse. I don't know or care, just try to kill all of them I can no discrimination.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Pigs are worse IMO. I hate coyotes though.

I do think coyotes' impact on deer populations are often over-dramatized though. My place is in thick with coyotes and always has been. Shoot them all you want, but in east TX you won't make much of a dent. That said, my deer numbers have flourished since I bought the place 13 years ago after having been way overhunted.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
You left out turkeys.
We are covered up with hogs, coyotes, and tons of turkeys.
I refer to turkeys as feathered vacuum cleaners.

Got to agree! Those dad gum corn buzzards are the most annoying! Cuz you can only shoot four of them!
Posted By: Gemlin

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 12:04 PM

Ive had deer and coyotes within 20 yards of each other.

If hogs show up, deer leave.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 12:51 PM

I don't know as we don't have hogs. But I've never seen our deer NOT run from a coyote.

All you guys talking about hogs and feeders, why do you not fence them out?
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I don't know as we don't have hogs. But I've never seen our deer NOT run from a coyote.

It's dang near impossible to do in east TX. I've tried (you could do it with a lot of work/expense). Plus many of the deer on my place simply wouldn't jump into a fenced feeder. Even after 3 years.

I gave up on feeders a couple of years ago - and went to food plots only. Hogs were the main reason.

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

up until just recently we weren't allowed to pen on Ft Hood and now that we are we have to apply for dip permits and all other sorts of red tape.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 03:56 PM

Hogs. Deer don't like them. They will ignore a Coyote sometimes.
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 05:08 PM

Cows are the worst at our place. We have pens but that doesn’t keep them from coming around usually when the deer are trying to feed.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 05:46 PM

Yes I'd rather have hogs then cows every time

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/07/17 06:25 PM

from my experience if the cows have plenty of graze they won't even touch corn or a feeder. I have lots of cows around my feeder on Ft Hood and I rarely ever get a pic even of a cow just passing by.

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/15/17 11:50 PM

Apparently not all deer are scared of coyotes

Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/16/17 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
from my experience if the cows have plenty of graze they won't even touch corn or a feeder. I have lots of cows around my feeder on Ft Hood and I rarely ever get a pic even of a cow just passing by.

We have 40 head on 100 acres. Never had an issue with cows eating corn because the hay tastes better I guess. They will scratch themselves on the blinds while your in it though!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/16/17 01:04 AM

Sure I've seen pigs run deer off of feeders plenty of times, but most of the time the deer will just move to a sendero, another feeder, or a road or vice versa. At least in my neck of the woods and especially on our place in Duval. In my experience most of the time they will continue to feed but obviously the deer don't like them and they will keep their distance. Very seldom do the deer run off and not come back. BUT, let a coyote come out anywhere and POOF! Deer are history and almost never come back during that hunt. From my experience yotes are far worse for deer hunting. I've shot plenty of pigs deer hunting as soon as they stepped out. In as little as 5 minutes I have had deer feeding all around the dead pig. Shoot a yote and let the deer get wind of it and they gone, every time. Every place is different.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/16/17 01:23 AM

We had lots of both on our 1000 acre lease in Comanche County and I have to go with hogs. I've seen mature bucks leave when hogs show up but never seen a mature buck run from a yote!
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/16/17 12:32 PM

Just kill them all. Make January a kill all pest month. Like Metallica with G&A and a grudge.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/16/17 02:24 PM

Kill em all.

Hog or coyote gets no quarter on my place. Both are contributing to low deer numbers. Them and poachers.

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/16/17 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Kill em all.

Hog or coyote gets no quarter on my place. Both are contributing to low deer numbers. Them and poachers.
Doing my best.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Whats worse for deer hunting? - 10/16/17 02:30 PM

We shoot both. I have seen deer turn tail, tolerate, and physically run off both hogs and coyotes. The majority of the time though the sight of either will send my deer our of town. Feedpens have greatly reduced the number of hogs we see and are pretty easy. Coyotes are just tuff for us, working on our trapping skills, but shooting enough of them to make a difference would likely put a bigger hurt on our deer hunting than they do themselves.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum