Texas Hunting Forum

What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year?

Posted By: JMalin

What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/23/17 11:05 AM

I found my #1 target buck dead on the 21st. The last day I had him on camera was the early morning hours of September 17th. No other dead deer around that I've noticed. There wasn't much left of him when I discovered him. He died close to a ranch road, or I doubt I would have ever seen him. A single buzzard was picking at what little remained of the carcass.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/23/17 01:35 PM

if he was close to the road. road kill...
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/23/17 02:10 PM

I feel your pain. We found a very heathy 5 year old buck dead yesterday. We had seen him a lot over the last several weeks, he looked great. This happen to us last year when we lost 3 bucks in October, also large healthy deer. I thought about having a biologist check him out as he hadn't been dead long. But we are counting our losses and moving on.
Note that none of these deer showed any sign of trauma.
Posted By: JMalin

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/23/17 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
if he was close to the road. road kill...

Interior road in the ranch itself.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/23/17 03:27 PM

I ain't easy in the wild, sometimes they just get sick and die of natural causes.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/23/17 06:04 PM

Moldy feed corn etc will kill a lot of things.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/23/17 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: yotehater

X2

Emergency meetings scheduled following reports of fumonisin in Texas corn
http://www.hpj.com/crops/emergency-meeti...f280a47c30.html

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/23/17 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: yotehater

Including people
Posted By: tx_biologist

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/24/17 04:44 AM

You are not the only one having deer die unexpectedly, seems with dry conditions and an early acorn drop, I'm seeing acidosis occur. Necropsy on a healthy fresh dead deer usually will have a rumen full of the green immature acorns. With not much else. Bloat will be evident.

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/24/17 12:02 PM

Good info tx_biologist, we just found another dead buck (4yr old), that is two big bucks this week. The buzzards had got to him pretty good so we didn't get a chance to inspect the stomach contents. We lost three bucks last year during the acorn drop. Oddly we have never lost a doe or a young buck, always 4-6 yr mature bucks.

We discussed deer gorging themselves on acorns in a previous post. Some seemed to think the acorn issue was possible, some were sceptical. http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6890240/Re:_Deer_gorging_themselves_on#Post6890240
Posted By: therancher

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/24/17 06:03 PM

If you're in an area with muddy areas it could be ehd as well. Kills more deer than most think. Healthy deer.
Posted By: WatersFowler

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/25/17 12:48 PM

I am going to post several signs at the lease this weekend informing deer not to eat any moldy deer corn, green acorns, and stay out of the mud. That ought to take care of that problem....... peep
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/25/17 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
If you're in an area with muddy areas it could be ehd as well. Kills more deer than most think. Healthy deer.

Yep....yet it receives very little press.

Anthrax and CWD get all the attention
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/25/17 05:42 PM

Brother texted me they found a bunch of hair on the ground near one of our water troughs and the cattle panel feed pen fence next to it was bent up and the ground was all tore up. They found a spike buck with his neck/head all scarred up dead a short distance away in the brush mostly eaten by scavengers. Appears he got his head caught reaching through the fence for a drink.

Near any public roads?
Posted By: sbushee

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/25/17 06:37 PM

What is EHD?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/25/17 06:42 PM

Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease

Re: What would cause a seemingly healthy buck to die quickly this time of year? - 09/25/17 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Brother texted me they found a bunch of hair on the ground near one of our water troughs and the cattle panel feed pen fence next to it was bent up and the ground was all tore up. They found a spike buck with his neck/head all scarred up dead a short distance away in the brush mostly eaten by scavengers. Appears he got his head caught reaching through the fence for a drink.

Near any public roads?

I was told of another condition called enterotoxemia, where deer keeping ramming their head against a hard surface. Also caused by excessive grains like corn (I do not know if acorns fit into this)
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum