Texas Hunting Forum

growth on deer ?

Posted By: diablodog

growth on deer ? - 09/19/17 12:06 AM

What is wrong with this deer ? I have watched these grow on him over the last 2 months . Is this going to hurt the other deer?
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: growth on deer ? - 09/19/17 01:26 AM

looks like that deer has something wrong for sure. Initially thought ticks but those are in areas where the deer could kick them off...so don't think that.

Looks like some kind of cutaneous tumor issue.
Posted By: djs303

Re: growth on deer ? - 09/19/17 01:54 AM

They are warts. Pretty common in deer. I have seen photos a lot worse than that.
Posted By: txh

Re: growth on deer ? - 09/19/17 04:36 AM

Wart or whatever, I'd take him out.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: growth on deer ? - 09/19/17 11:40 AM

We have one like that too, but only one "wart" and also on the neck.
If you want to see some crazy pictures Google "deer warts" ugh.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: growth on deer ? - 09/19/17 03:29 PM

Old enough to be culled, IMO. Let a kid shoot him.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: growth on deer ? - 09/19/17 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: djs303
They are warts. Pretty common in deer. I have seen photos a lot worse than that.

In 30 years of hunting ive never seen anything like it. I have seen melanistic and piebald deer though which is far from common.
Posted By: diablodog

Re: growth on deer ? - 09/19/17 06:50 PM

He gets worse every week on the photos . It looks like he is going to loose use of the eye soon . I was thinking a cull for a kid also . There is enough of a rack there to look good to a kid . I just wanted to know if he was a risk to the other deer in the area , but after reading up on it the risk seems small .
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: growth on deer ? - 09/20/17 09:10 PM

The wart-like structures are called fibromas. Caused by a virus transmitted by biting insects. Nothing to worry about, meat is not affected and not contagious. Most of them eventually dry up and fall off, so no long-term affects. Fairly common in deer.
Posted By: J.Monaghan

Re: growth on deer ? - 09/29/17 03:58 AM

Shoot his butt
Posted By: MathMan

Re: growth on deer ? - 09/30/17 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks
The wart-like structures are called fibromas. Caused by a virus transmitted by biting insects. Nothing to worry about, meat is not affected and not contagious. Most of them eventually dry up and fall off, so no long-term affects. Fairly common in deer.

This ^^^
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum