Texas Hunting Forum

New Mexico Mule Deer hunt Fall 2017

Posted By: DOD

New Mexico Mule Deer hunt Fall 2017 - 09/03/17 03:33 PM

I have to admit I have not worked as hard to get into shape for my upcoming mule deer hunt this year. I can handle most of my spots in the shape I am in, but some new spots might bite me in the butt? My wife and I made a trip out west earlier this year and I picked out a new camping spot that should make my hike a little easier to my go to spot. Still have a couple of drainage's I want to check out before the season opens (Oct 28-Nov 1). Plan on going out a few days earlier to put an eye on the area.

Didn't draw last year and wasted money going to Colorado on an Elk OTC 2nd rifle season hunt. Got a nice tan and talked to a lot of hunters that didn't see any elk either? But sa la vie...
Posted By: copperhead

Re: New Mexico Mule Deer hunt Fall 2017 - 09/04/17 11:20 AM

What unit are you hunting in?

Re: New Mexico Mule Deer hunt Fall 2017 - 09/04/17 01:41 PM

I will be hunting in Unit 30, south of Queens.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: New Mexico Mule Deer hunt Fall 2017 - 09/04/17 04:41 PM

I hunted Unit 30 for 20 years. I haven't drawn the last two though. Not sure if you're familiar with the area or not but I'd be happy to help if you need it.
Posted By: TWarren

Re: New Mexico Mule Deer hunt Fall 2017 - 09/06/17 05:38 PM

I love that unit, I got to archery hunt it two years ago. Never saw anything big but just a lot of deer in general.

Re: New Mexico Mule Deer hunt Fall 2017 - 09/07/17 02:48 AM

I shot a 3 x3 two years ago, first DyH and was stoocked. Met game water on the way out and he showed me photos of some 170 plus deer that had been killed and/or still alive.
A 150 inch deer in the area sounds like a typical big boy with some bigger depending on the year.
Size helps, but the hunt is the trip and what counts for me?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum