Texas Hunting Forum

to those who have signed up for MLD???????

Posted By: ScrapIron

to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/23/17 02:12 AM

i guess i am one of the few that could actually benefit by the new system and im not trying for a debate cause i went from 0 anterless to 9 on my 2200 acres which is literally crawling with does..

so i enrolled a few weeks ago agreed to the conditions under harvest option.
so how do i get my tags?? ive logged in everyday and it says im enrolled but no tags?

do they issue them closer to cut off date or what??

anyone have any idea??
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/23/17 03:32 AM

I would contact the biologist for your county. When I spoke with our biologist he said it would likely be sometime in the middle of September for us to get ours but we're in the conservation option. I would hope you get more than 9 doe tags for that acreage. We normally get 30-40 doe tags and we're less than 700 acres. I know it depends on where you are but 2200 acres is a lot of land for 9 tags.

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/23/17 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Txhunter65
I would contact the biologist for your county. When I spoke with our biologist he said it would likely be sometime in the middle of September for us to get ours but we're in the conservation option. I would hope you get more than 9 doe tags for that acreage. We normally get 30-40 doe tags and we're less than 700 acres. I know it depends on where you are but 2200 acres is a lot of land for 9 tags.

heck we havent had any since the 90's except the few we can take in archery season.. i had to the the harvest option because i havent done any surveys etc. will change to conservation in a couple years. i recently took over from my elderly dad and hes never been one to let the government on the property!!

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/23/17 12:00 PM

Depends on your biologist but there's still time to conduct three spotlight surveys. Believe you have till the end of September. They may allow you to change to the conservation method or at least issue your tags based on the surveys this year and let you switch next year after you've implemented your habitat improvement practices. I have neighbors that are like you dad was and they are none to happy with the number of does we shoot at the direction of the state, but every year it seems like we get the same number of doe tags.
Posted By: Russ79

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/23/17 01:47 PM

I used the estimator to see what we might be eligible for and for 840 acres it figured two bucks and six does so we decided to forget it.
Posted By: scotts

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/23/17 04:51 PM

I sent an email to LMA.Help@tpwd.texas.gov with this same question and they responded that tags will be sent via an email at the end of the month.

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/23/17 10:47 PM

Yeah the harvest option does not appear to be very appealing. I looked at the estimator for our property and it said 6 doe 1 buck I believe. We've had over 40 tags (30 doe 10 buck roughly) the last three years and saw more deer during our surveys this year than we ever have.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/24/17 12:23 PM

I've worked with the LMA system quite a bit, signing up our WMA members. The "estimator" is very conservative.

As far as the permits go, you will receive an email from TPWD containing the permit availability notification. If you were able to receive the registration notices, there is no reason to worry not receive the notice plus I'm sure someone will mention that they received theirs here on the forum.

The difference in how it happened in TWIMS vs. LMA is that you will need to print your permits and property harvest log. In that most personal printers use water soluble ink these days, you will also be responsible for keeping the permits legible to the end of their use. The same for the harvest log. I know some that have bought waterproof paper, about a $1 a sheet, but most are going to use zip lock bags.
Posted By: therancher

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/24/17 05:10 PM

I thought under the "harvest" option you printed your own tags and were in charge of how many you printed?

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/24/17 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
I've worked with the LMA system quite a bit, signing up our WMA members. The "estimator" is very conservative.

As far as the permits go, you will receive an email from TPWD containing the permit availability notification. If you were able to receive the registration notices, there is no reason to worry not receive the notice plus I'm sure someone will mention that they received theirs here on the forum.

The difference in how it happened in TWIMS vs. LMA is that you will need to print your permits and property harvest log. In that most personal printers use water soluble ink these days, you will also be responsible for keeping the permits legible to the end of their use. The same for the harvest log. I know some that have bought waterproof paper, about a $1 a sheet, but most are going to use zip lock bags.

goo information thanks
Posted By: olinecoach

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/24/17 08:30 PM

Harvest option you print your tags.

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/25/17 03:21 AM

You should print your own tags in both options.
Posted By: Boggyman

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/25/17 03:02 PM

I received an email from our biologist yesterday saying he was going to be releasing the permits in the first part of September, once he completed his review of all the census data from the ranches in his area.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/27/17 10:25 PM

Question, can a hunter take 2 does using license tags and then take 1 or 2 more using the mldp tags?? Not sure which option but had lamps tags last year.
Posted By: MoTex

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/27/17 10:56 PM

Years ago on opening weekend of archery season we had a game warden stop by camp to check us. The landowner hadn't gave us the tags yet. The warden said we can't harvest off our license because it was designated MLD property. The tags were going to be delivered that evening, fortunately we did take a deer that morning. Your tags can be used on other non MLD properties.

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 08/27/17 11:40 PM

Motex, the old, last year's,mld program was that way. This year's new programs are different. Two options are available and it depends on landowner choice.

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/08/17 04:13 PM

i finally got my tags..

what a cluster #@$# !!!!!!!

for my smaller acreage i was supposed to get 2 bucks and 6 does... they issued 4 bucks and 12 does!

my other places were exactly as issued on the estimator. ive called and no one knows what happened and/or how i should proceed or if the tags are even gonna be valid!

highly confused and slightly dissappointed
Posted By: therancher

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/08/17 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
Motex, the old, last year's,mld program was that way. This year's new programs are different. Two options are available and it depends on landowner choice.

MLD is tied to the property, not the hunter. And NO, you can't use regular tags on a ranch that is under MLD. You can use regular tags on property that isn't under MLD but never on a MLD ranch.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/11/17 06:18 AM

We are not on MLD but used their system to see what we would get if we did and we take almost what they estimate for our place. I really can't see it being used unless you have large acreage and need more permits than you have tags.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/11/17 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Boggyman
I received an email from our biologist yesterday saying he was going to be releasing the permits in the first part of September, once he completed his review of all the census data from the ranches in his area.

No. Once you are enrolled in MLD, and are issued tags by the biologist, and you print them off, these are the only tags to be used, not any of the ones on your TX hunting license. My biologist told me that if we did that (used both), he would never issue us another MLD tag, ever.

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/11/17 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Scrap iron
i finally got my tags..

for my smaller acreage i was supposed to get 2 bucks and 6 does... they issued 4 bucks and 12 does!

my other places were exactly as issued on the estimator. ive called and no one knows what happened and/or how i should proceed or if the tags are even gonna be valid!

I understand the frustration, but why not only use 2 buck tags, and 6 doe tags, and not use the rest?
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/11/17 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
We are not on MLD but used their system to see what we would get if we did and we take almost what they estimate for our place. I really can't see it being used unless you have large acreage and need more permits than you have tags.

That's what it was originally meant for not just for the luxury of having a longer season like many abuse it for now.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/11/17 07:51 PM

i finally got my tags..

Your now under what they want... it was most likely looked at again and they knew it was well undershot on tags so they sent you extra... don't worry be happy... that just gives you more room to work on management... if your crawling with doe like you say 12 doe will be a nice start on 2200acres and now you have more cull buck tags... so set an age like 4yr old plus 6s and 5yr old plus 8s and roll from there... or just limit 2 nice 5yr old plus bucks and save the other two for incase you see an injured deer or stag buck or such... they usually undershoot the first year either way to feel things out... once you submit spotlight surveys and harvest logs they will get more aggressive if things look the way they should... use to head a hunting operation on 4k acres and we were issued 40bucks and 60doe.. owner wouldn't ever let us fill them all but we took around 40 doe and 25-30 4yr old+ bucks.. which to me was only low on the doe side but wasn't bad.

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/11/17 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider
i finally got my tags..

I understand the frustration, but why not only use 2 buck tags, and 6 doe tags, and not use the rest?

the tags are numbered, i plan on staying with the intial 2 bucks.

my problem is i cant get them to tell me which tag number to use..if they made a mistake in what they issued i dont wanna be caught by game warden using an invalid tag
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/11/17 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider
i finally got my tags..

the tags are numbered, i plan on staying with the intial 2 bucks.

my problem is i cant get them to tell me which tag number to use..if they made a mistake in what they issued i dont wanna be caught by game warden using an invalid tag

I would look up the expectations around filling those tags. Unless something has changed, they expect you to use the allocated tags in order to stay in the program. Only filling 50% of the allocated tags may jeopardize further participation in the program. We plan to resume MLD next year after 3 year hiatus due to various construction projects on the ranch limiting access for surveys / hunting to fulfill MLD requirements.

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/11/17 09:37 PM

^Correct

Also the tags should be numbered and youll want to use them in order

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/11/17 09:41 PM

Also a general hunting license and all required like HIP and Hunters ed will still be required from the hunter. Will also be good to have plenty of Wildlife resource documents around if hunters are just taking meat from the ranch

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/11/17 11:52 PM

My understanding is that it doesn't matter which tag # you use, as long as you have them accounted for on the harvest log that you will turn in to your biologist when the season is over.

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/12/17 12:54 AM

Some of you need to realize that there are TWO MLDP options this year. Harvest option and Management option. With the Harvest option HO, you can use your license tags for bucks if you did not apply for buck tags. You can only use them under regular season dates and regulations. We applied for doe tags only and will start doe hunting Sept 30 but cannot shoot a buck till opening of regular season, Nov 4. This information came straight from the county Game Warden.

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/12/17 01:29 AM

i completely understand how MLD works and the points made in all the above posts..HERE IS MY ISSUE.

the LMA/MLDP stated i should recieve 2 bucks and 6 does on my smaller property. OK i agree with that. i accepted the enrollment.

when i recieved the email my tags were ready to print i logged back into the LMA website. when the tags printed complete with watermarks i had 4 BUCK and 12 ANTERLESS............DOUBLE THE TAGS THE STATE SAYS I SHOULD HAVE BEEN ISSUED.all information on the tags is correct (property name,location, my name etc)

so now i have double the issued tags and none are duplicates. am i bound by the amount of tags they gave me to print or the numbers the website says i agreed too? theres a huge difference there especially if i harvest a 3rd buck or 7th doe, get stopped by the GW, and the tag isnt valid.

if i cant get an answer from them im just gonna take myself outta the program on the 15th

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/12/17 12:09 PM

Is the biologist not returning your phone calls?

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/12/17 01:50 PM

You do not have to use all of the tags. In the end, it's up to the landowner.
Posted By: slippinaround

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/12/17 02:06 PM

Email or call your biologist and tell him your concern. Also as stated above you do not have to use all of the permits---Its just a recommendation. If I were you I would stick to the old original recommendedation until you hear back from your biologist.

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/12/17 02:26 PM

i completely understand how MLD works and the points made in all the above posts..HERE IS MY ISSUE.

the LMA/MLDP stated i should recieve 2 bucks and 6 does on my smaller property. OK i agree with that. i accepted the enrollment.

when i recieved the email my tags were ready to print i logged back into the LMA website. when the tags printed complete with watermarks i had 4 BUCK and 12 ANTERLESS............DOUBLE THE TAGS THE STATE SAYS I SHOULD HAVE BEEN ISSUED.all information on the tags is correct (property name,location, my name etc)

so now i have double the issued tags and none are duplicates. am i bound by the amount of tags they gave me to print or the numbers the website says i agreed too? theres a huge difference there especially if i harvest a 3rd buck or 7th doe, get stopped by the GW, and the tag isnt valid.

if i cant get an answer from them im just gonna take myself outta the program on the 15th

That is a question for TPWD not a hunting forum. up
Posted By: hunting_guy

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/12/17 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: txbobcat

That is a question for TPWD not a hunting forum. up

Agreed. Our biologist Derrick Wolter is awesome and usually answers my e-mails on the same day.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/15/17 10:38 AM

This whole changeup in the system this year...I have to agree is a total mess. I am managing 1,800 acres and participated in the LAMPS program prior to this year. I spoke to our local warden about helping me through the whole mess and he said he would "get with me" to help work it all out. That was about a month ago and I don't expect any further from him.
I normally have given out doe tags to friends that I let use the properties I manage, but it looks like this year it isn't going to happen.
I feed about 1,000 lbs of corn a month, so it's obvious I am feeding a lot of deer. I try to manage the properties as well as I can, but it looks like the does are on their own now.
I must just be from the old school, but it seems to me that some new boy just out of college has taken over the whole mess and has screwed up the whole system! Have any others virtually dropped out of the doe managing on their properties?

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/15/17 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Old Stony
This whole changeup in the system this year...I have to agree is a total mess. I am managing 1,800 acres and participated in the LAMPS program prior to this year. I spoke to our local warden about helping me through the whole mess and he said he would "get with me" to help work it all out. That was about a month ago and I don't expect any further from him.
I normally have given out doe tags to friends that I let use the properties I manage, but it looks like this year it isn't going to happen.
I feed about 1,000 lbs of corn a month, so it's obvious I am feeding a lot of deer. I try to manage the properties as well as I can, but it looks like the does are on their own now.
I must just be from the old school, but it seems to me that some new boy just out of college has taken over the whole mess and has screwed up the whole system! Have any others virtually dropped out of the doe managing on their properties?

Its not hard to sign up...are you saying you wont get "enough" permits or that you cant figure out how to sign up online?

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/15/17 10:47 PM

I think the whole system is very confusing this year. Now it's too late to apply for the permits anyway, so I guess my hunters are on their own. A warden told me he would help me get through it all over a month ago, but today he decided it was too late and...oh well? He said maybe next year.

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/16/17 12:13 AM

No return calls ffrom biologists after 6 messages left over the last month and half. They gave me double the tags and they are all legal and have the watermarks so I'm gonna use them I guess. I'll keep the emails etc for a paper trail.
The whole thing is just a damn mess.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/16/17 01:19 AM

The roll out has been every bit as successful as Obamacare.

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/16/17 08:21 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future we would be required to employ a lawyer to interpret all the BS involved and advise us how to stay legal. I don't care if I ever shoot another doe...but others do and TPW is virtually out of touch with landowners and hunters as far as I am concerned.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: to those who have signed up for MLD??????? - 09/17/17 12:48 AM

I am lucky I have a great biologist ...he answers my questions in short order. I am not sure of the reason for the new system but I will do what I can and hope I have done the right thing.
As far as having to use all the doe permits...It is still up to you the hunter...if ya think you dont have the number of does to use all the tags. Dont use them(thats your responsibility)...You will have to answer why you didn't , I think that is what will be happening. We will be using management tags for does and regular tx licenses for bucks. It is my understanding you will accept the recommended tags...bucks or does or both. I am going to try to be patient...I think in the long run this will be more user friendly than the old system...or it could be. Time will tell.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum