Texas Hunting Forum

Triplets

Posted By: billyhunt

Triplets - 07/29/17 11:15 PM

Early this morning the hound is barking to no end so I go to have a look, its a doe coming out of the cotton, she runs back into the pasture. Thirty mins later I was going to my feeder to put some corn in my feeder and up jumps a doe (pretty sure same doe)I see one little one, then another, then the third. I put my gamecam back up so hope to have pics. This would be the third set of trips we have had here.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Triplets - 07/29/17 11:25 PM

Triples are cool. Our does tend to come out with different fawns all the time. So it is hard to say if they had triplets or it is just a doe nursing more than her own.
We had a doe last year that showed with two nubbing bucks, the next time she had two doe fawns, then a doe and and two nubbies... Seems like ours take care of whatever fawn is around.

Re: Triplets - 07/29/17 11:31 PM

For sure SS. But all of these were the same size. Well hope to get pics to see.
Posted By: spg

Re: Triplets - 07/30/17 01:43 AM

I'm hoping to see more fawns this year, didn't see very many last year.

Re: Triplets - 08/07/17 11:40 PM

pics added.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Triplets - 08/07/17 11:42 PM

The one in the back looks fairly bigger than the other two, I wonder if it was an orphan from another doe and this one took it in before she had her twins. Or could just be it got more nutrition than the others.

Re: Triplets - 08/07/17 11:48 PM

Well Sapper could be. But they have been running together for a good time now, this is the first pic that I have of em together.

Re: Triplets - 08/07/17 11:55 PM

And Sapper, usually if these are true trips. One will be smaller.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Triplets - 08/08/17 12:14 AM

Agree with sapper here again, the back fawn def looks bigger as if an earlier birth from a different mama and just clung on to the doe. The two smaller ones are probably her twins and the third is just a tag along.

My place had a lot of twins this year, but first time I have seen any there since I just bought it. Seems to be a healthy herd of doe.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Triplets - 08/08/17 12:17 AM

I have only seen actual triplets maybe twice. I see does caring for another does fawns sometimes. I have
seen as many as five fawns hanging around one doe. The nanny I guess.

Neat photo of your triplets.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Triplets - 08/08/17 06:39 PM

cheers
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Triplets - 08/08/17 06:47 PM

Ive only seen triplets a time or two in the hill country. I always thought twins were more common than not twins through, nearly every year I see almost all twins, now of course not all of them survive to maturity.

Re: Triplets - 08/09/17 01:04 AM

It does look like the one fawn is bigger. But here they are all together again, and like I said. Been watching em for about a month and half. But glad that the doe did pick up the other one.

Re: Triplets - 08/09/17 01:08 AM

Damn wrong pic!!!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Triplets - 08/09/17 11:06 AM

Now that is cool, never seen triplets up Is that feeder one of the 500 lb sold at Academy, if so how do you like it?

Re: Triplets - 08/10/17 02:24 AM

Stub, yes the 600 A. Not a bit of trouble, have 3 here on the place one is 5 years old. The one in pic is the newer ones, full cage around spinner/timer, set up for solar and sight glass. IMO worth the money.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Triplets - 08/10/17 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: billyhunt
Stub, yes the 600 A. Not a bit of trouble, have 3 here on the place one is 5 years old. The one in pic is the newer ones, full cage around spinner/timer, set up for solar and sight glass. IMO worth the money.

Almost pulled the trigger on one, but that 300lb of mine works fine and that actually gives me another excuse to run to the woods grin

Re: Triplets - 08/13/17 06:23 PM

Now this makes sense, if these are true trips. This doe in this pic is our "one eye gal" and she has had two other sets of trips, we didn't see her last year and thought she had died. I'm going thru old sd cards trying to find pics!!
Posted By: BooneDog

Re: Triplets - 08/14/17 02:54 AM

I don't know if there is any science behind it. But I grew up hunting in Kimble County and inherited a little land there and been hunting it since 87. I have seen more does with triplets in and around Junction,Mason and Llano than any where else. And those counties are some of the highest populated in TX. I have been hunting in North Texas from Albany to Childress more the last 10 years and I have never seen any triplets.

Like the genetic trait to drop triplets is in the water or something in that part of the hill country.

Hopefully her offspring will drop 3 as well for you.

Re: Triplets - 08/23/17 10:49 PM

New pics of the trips. I do believe these are this old doe. Might be wrong. confused2
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Triplets - 08/24/17 04:34 AM

Very cool. Great mama if she can raise healthy trips multiple years. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum