Texas Hunting Forum

Hot wire around feeders?

Posted By: xitnet

Hot wire around feeders? - 06/17/17 12:31 AM

I'm new to setting up feeders and blinds and would appreciate some information. I've leased a 1,500 acre place in the eastern panhandle.

I've read here about you guys using wire panels but what about hot wiring around them? I'm setting just two feeders out this year and can use solar chargers and hot wire in a 40 foot circle around them. Thinking about running a double strand about one and three feet high. Will this work?

Thanks
Posted By: MrWhite87

Re: Hot wire around feeders? - 06/17/17 12:37 AM

hot wire from a solar charger?

Re: Hot wire around feeders? - 06/17/17 12:49 AM

Thought everyone would know what I meant. "Solar fence charger".
Posted By: Western

Re: Hot wire around feeders? - 06/17/17 01:30 AM

Should work fine if it is a solid unit, just make sure you put in at a minimum, the recommended grounding, that is usually the weak link in an electric fence.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Hot wire around feeders? - 06/17/17 01:55 AM

I have had a single wire around mine for several years. Keeps the cows out but not the hogs.
Posted By: MrWhite87

Re: Hot wire around feeders? - 06/17/17 01:58 AM

I'm relatively new to all this. I didn't know you could do that with solar power. Figured it took a lot more juice. I just remember from my youth, the hot wire on my grandpa's farm was wired from the barn.

Re: Hot wire around feeders? - 06/17/17 02:44 AM

I've used them to keep cattle out from a pistol shooting range a few years back. Wasn't sure if there is a reason not to use around a feeder. Thought the two wires with one being lower might keep the hogs out.
Posted By: mow

Re: Hot wire around feeders? - 06/17/17 03:13 PM

i would presume it would keep deer out?
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Hot wire around feeders? - 06/17/17 04:40 PM

It will keep out some cows. Deer and hogs won't even notice it. Some cows have learned the rewards are worth the shock.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Hot wire around feeders? - 06/17/17 06:17 PM

Vern1 can give you good information on this. He has it on his feeders.

Re: Hot wire around feeders? - 06/17/17 08:43 PM

Appreciate the replies. Still have the one Parmak solar unit I used around the shooting range. My experience with it was it hurts like hell. :-) Never had a cow try it twice. Think I'll try it on a three strand 40' circular fence around the feeder. We have just a few hogs in the area and I'll kill them all if possible. If it doesn't work, I'll come back and tell you why.
Thanks
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum