Texas Hunting Forum

Putting cameras out in south texas

Posted By: tlk

Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/12/17 12:52 AM

we run over 20 cameras - some years I get excited and put them out too soon and we get pretty much useless pictures because they are not developed enough yet. Other years we do a little too late. Thinking about end of June? When do your deer in south texas have enough horn on them to be worth running cameras?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/12/17 12:59 AM

I get lots of cool pics that don't include deer in them from my game pics so I run them year around
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/12/17 01:10 AM

I just picked mine up from last year. A few of them still had juice, so I could watch certain regulars lose horns and start growing them back again. Pretty neat.
Posted By: MrWhite87

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/12/17 02:19 AM

Year round. Nature is just plain cool.
Posted By: JW_TX

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/12/17 11:02 AM

Been monitoring the pregnant does to get a sense when they dropped and how long they are nursing.
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/12/17 09:10 PM

I run em all year round like getting pics of bobcats, yotes, turkeys.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/13/17 12:30 PM

We're running 18 in Webb Co. now, but end of June is about right for an idea of what they're gonna be.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/13/17 05:17 PM

We leave our cameras out year round in south Duval County. Our most growth at this time is just past brow tines with beginnings of G2's.

Checked cameras last weekend and this is the first year we have had multiple penned feeders with corn protein and water available non stop year round, and the number of deer we are seeing is way up for this time of year. Also thanks to the pens the number of hogs we are seeing is way down!!! cheers
Posted By: JHeflinland

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/13/17 08:24 PM

I am close to Del Rio. Our Mid July seems to be a good target for putting them out in our area. They will still have growing to do but they will be recognizable.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/13/17 10:04 PM

About to put mine out. It helps me to know if they start showing signs of EHD and I like to watch them grow early on. I have some bucks that are already at the turn and some that are still just coke bottles. Amazing the different development in the same time span.

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/13/17 10:22 PM

I think we will go end of this month - we leave ours out after the season for about a month to see how they are doing post rut - not interested in messing with over 20 cameras when you just see does and bucks with bare heads -
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/13/17 11:44 PM

I put mine out around mid to late July.
Posted By: sundownbrown

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/14/17 03:38 AM

Year round for us in freer
Posted By: spg

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/14/17 05:25 AM

SUNDOWNBROWN, when do your does start dropping fawns.....Just curious because I'm only 30 miles from freer.
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/15/17 12:40 PM

We run 40 to 50 cameras on CS feeders and don't put them out until the first weekend of August.
Most bucks are far enough along to recognize those that got a pass last year and identify culls to target early before the batchelor groups break up (if you can see them in daylight). I would guess 98% of the buck pics are at night until Oct.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/15/17 04:12 PM

Year round also gives you the chance to see who might be on your place that shouldn't be if something happens later.

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/15/17 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: cullbuck
We run 40 to 50 cameras on CS feeders and don't put them out until the first weekend of August.
Most bucks are far enough along to recognize those that got a pass last year and identify culls to target early before the batchelor groups break up (if you can see them in daylight). I would guess 98% of the buck pics are at night until Oct.

same here - most in augest and september are night and groups
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/16/17 03:00 PM

We see a lot of deer in the mornings and late evening. Not sure but I think having water at all feeders keeps them a little nearer.
Posted By: olinecoach

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/18/17 02:07 PM

We keep cameras out year round.

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/19/17 10:56 PM

going this weekend to put out 20 cameras - for me this starts the season!! Even if it is 100 plus degrees the season has started! I love it
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/22/17 12:34 PM

We may make a run down this weekend also. Not gonna mess with cameras yet though but may try to reduce a few fawn killers. The fawns should be hitting the ground now.
Posted By: CB09

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/24/17 02:13 AM

We put ours out around Oct only by it is 6 hours away.
Posted By: mr. buck

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/24/17 03:56 AM

first week in august for us. deer far enough along to recognize from previous year, but also avoids taking a couple months of blistering heat. not saying its right or wrong, but we are on year six with bushnell trophy cams and year seven with our reconyx.
Posted By: chicklitter

Re: Putting cameras out in south texas - 06/24/17 03:16 PM

I keep ours out year round (we're also out there at least once a month, if not more than that). I love seeing which deer survived the season, and later on in the spring the pregnant does (we've had one who's HUGE), and then in the summer the first glimpse of fawns.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum