Texas Hunting Forum

Foxes vs fawn

Posted By: Harrier

Foxes vs fawn - 05/13/17 04:37 AM

I was reading in my living room tonight, minding my own business when I kept hearing a bleating outside like a little goat. I went out on the front porch and saw a doe hustling over to the alley next to our across-the-street neighbors' garage. We haven't seen any fawns yet, but we have lots of very pregnant does, so I figured the bleating was probably a fawn, and it must be in trouble because I hadn't heard any make that noise. I went over for a look, and sure enough I saw a fox slinking toward a dark corner.

I headed back in for a flashlight and my .22 pistol, and when I came back out there were two foxes having a staredown with a doe, who was hobbling around, and I could see the eye shine of the fawn against the garage. I threw some rocks at the foxes and ran them off.

Now I'm standing guard on the porch again, wondering how long a jail term I'd get (and how long I'd lose my hunting license) for shooting foxes in the city. But I get kinda protective of the cute little fawns. As soon as I can get a daylight picture of one, I'll post it up.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/13/17 10:43 AM

It is that time of year.

Been surprised at not seeing any fawns yet in the 8 acre estate's front yard, that my back fence overlooks. But theres been lot of tree removal and heavy machine trimming activity back there recently as the owner preps the property to get it ready to sell. I'ved use the same Tree Service and their diesel self propelled chipper sounds like a Sherman tank when it's grinding and ain't exactly quiet when it's moving.

I'd switch to 22 shorts if you can, or sub speed ammo if you'rs concerned about the neighbors.
Ron
Posted By: HuskerB

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/13/17 11:46 AM

sub sonic 22LR isn't much louder than a pellet gun.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/13/17 11:29 PM

Foxes gotta eat too
Posted By: JLP83

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/14/17 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Foxes gotta eat too
Yep. Not like we're running out of deer.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/14/17 03:26 AM

You need a pellet gun grin
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/14/17 02:12 PM

I watched two foxes hunting a turkey a few years back. It was pretty awesome to see them come from different angles at the bird, and they were coming quick. I guess they may hunt in pairs.
I shot one of the foxes, in hindsight I should have just sat back and enjoyed the show.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/14/17 06:54 PM

City? Foxes gotta eat too, and I'd rather hit a fox with my truck than a deer. Just sayin.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/16/17 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: JLP83
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Foxes gotta eat too
Yep. Not like we're running out of deer.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/16/17 02:43 PM

I can't really imagine that we are running out of foxes either, but maybe so. But I would think that foxes are a lot more likely to get rabies than a deer, so I am for eliminating the foxes that live in close proximity to me.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/17/17 02:13 PM

Do foxes actually kill fawns or are they after the afterbirth? I guess if they get a fawn just as it's being born they will eat it, but I've never thought of them as being a problem animal like a coyote killing them.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/17/17 02:59 PM

Grey fox won't kill fawns but the Red fox will.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/17/17 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
Do foxes actually kill fawns or are they after the afterbirth? I guess if they get a fawn just as it's being born they will eat it, but I've never thought of them as being a problem animal like a coyote killing them.

I just don't see them having a chance against a mama doe....
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/17/17 03:36 PM

A hill country newborn fawn will weigh about 4-6 lbs. Of course a fox will snatch one if they can. They are carnivores. Small window for them though as fawns grow quickly.
Posted By: don k

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/17/17 10:48 PM

Like NP said I would think that it would have to be right after birth. And then the Doe is not going to let it happen.
Posted By: mdryg1970

Re: Foxes vs fawn - 05/19/17 03:16 PM

Use a bow, no one will ever know...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum