Texas Hunting Forum

Best time to start throwing corn?

Posted By: Logical Rednecks

Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/02/17 10:52 PM

I bow hunt a small 36 acre, very dense woods in Leon County. I usually start throwing corn about August, just wondering what other people across the state do? And also wondering if anyone had heard of big bucks being killed out of Leon County. I've only seen one small 8 on a trail cam and that was at night.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/02/17 11:16 PM

Dump a few corn piles away from your feeder and put a camera watching them. Id bet theres more walking around than what your seeing. Those deer dont hang out around feeders often unless they have been in place for years, and they have become accustomed to it.

I feed year round.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/03/17 12:12 AM

We never stop throwing, just scale it back in the off season.

Leon Co can produce some great deer. I have a buddy who has killed a couple 140's off a small ~100 acre place near Centerville.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/03/17 05:50 AM

Same here, year round.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/03/17 06:15 AM

Just depends on the place. Once the green hits, we don't see deer on the feeders until Late August/September. We just feed the hogs, turkey and coons spring/summer. We keep 3 feeders going year round and same story each year when it rains like it has the past 3.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/03/17 10:50 AM

I've been running about 10,000 lbs. of corn a year, between the feeders and hog traps. I think keeping them accustomed to eating at the same old familiar hangouts is a good thing, and we are trying to build the population on the properties. I have deer eating at the same places year around now.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/03/17 12:33 PM

Year around...dial them back in April when things start sprouting and then in Aug or Sept depending on weather increase it. I've got two feeders going at my stand in different locations. In Aug/Sept I start throwing twice in the am and twice in the pm with both feeders.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/03/17 12:48 PM

It can be as green as can be and I still get deer hitting my corn feeders so I feed all year. They seem to slow down on the protein during the spring growth and then start hammering it again in the heat of the summer.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/03/17 01:18 PM

Usually feed year round. It is so green out right now and I have a 3 acre food plot that if the feeder runs out this time of year no biggy. Right now there are so many food choices out there I only have around 3 does that visit it besides all of the squirrels and birds. I probably will not refill it until June 1st if we keep getting good rains up
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/03/17 04:09 PM

When I hunted in Bosque county, I would start in mid sept. Deer always hit feeders same day or next day at latest. I feed year round at my new place/per the rules. Don't mind either way.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/03/17 04:36 PM

All the time.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/03/17 04:47 PM

Year around, a little less in spring and summer.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/03/17 05:56 PM

Never stop, year round here.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/03/17 07:16 PM

right now.....
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/04/17 05:56 AM

Yr around
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/05/17 12:24 AM

never stop
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/05/17 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
It can be as green as can be and I still get deer hitting my corn feeders so I feed all year. They seem to slow down on the protein during the spring growth and then start hammering it again in the heat of the summer.

Same here. I guess it's like dessert to them around here.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/08/17 05:43 PM

I throw year around. My first hand experience is I see more game than the other lease members who do not throw year around. I have higher numbers and better quality deer. I also see and kill more hogs than they do.
Posted By: huntindude

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/09/17 01:13 PM

depends on the wallet.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/09/17 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: huntindude
depends on the wallet.

This... i feed at least a few seconds twice a day all year but if possible I'll feed 12 seconds twice a day then 10 seconds 4. Times a day during season
Posted By: passthru

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/10/17 02:04 AM

Year round feeder here. Less during the greener part of the year but still throwing.
Posted By: The Shafer

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/12/17 03:16 PM

I feed protein year round in gravity feeders (they hit it heavy during the spring) and start throwing corn in august. I spent three years feeding year round and only had hogs coming in the summer. With beginning to sling corn in august has not had any effect on the quantity or quality of deer I see during hunting season.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/13/17 12:34 PM

I start feeding in August.
Posted By: TXAGGIE83

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/14/17 10:32 PM

Feed corn from spin cast feeders year around to keep them coming. It doesn't have to be much during off season, but I would recommend having at least one on demand protein feeder stocked at all times, too.
Posted By: tim1911

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/15/17 06:40 PM

I have deer hitting the corn all summer. As soon as the acorns fall I might as well turn it off.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/16/17 09:26 PM

Year around.
Run one at stock tank year around feeding morning and evening.
Right now, it's feeding a bunch of pregnant does and a few nubbin bucks, some turkeys, ducks and a few squirrels.
Run other one at pig stand morning and evening right before and during deer season but change to 8 and 10PM during off season for pigs.
Posted By: 30378

Re: Best time to start throwing corn? - 05/18/17 04:38 PM

Never stops. 24/7/365
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum