Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder in Washed Out Tank?

Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Feeder in Washed Out Tank? - 03/16/17 10:43 PM

Has anybody had either a good or bad experience with this set-up? Before flooding washed out the dam it was about 30 feet deep and about two to three acres. Its a noticeable drop in elevation and was wondering whether this will make deer more or less comfortable with coming in to feed
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Feeder in Washed Out Tank? - 03/17/17 03:38 PM

Deer will be vary wary of a feeder in the bottom like that - reduces most of their senses against spotting danger.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Feeder in Washed Out Tank? - 03/17/17 07:58 PM

Agree with above, deer like to see and smell, they will have a hard time doing both down in a hole. I don't see this as a good set up.

One of my most heavily traffic'd set ups was simply a small clearing in a wooded area of my lease, put the feeder down and it gets hammered every day and night until all corn is gone. Sometimes sticking to more natural setting works best, won't be as "on-guard" if it is in a more native string versus a large clearing...deer always seem to be hesitant to walk out into the open. they will go out, but they typically will sit at the edge an watch for a while, and if you make any wrong moves they are gone before you know they are there.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Feeder in Washed Out Tank? - 03/20/17 01:00 PM

Hogs would like it. Not the deer unless there is no rain and nothing else to eat.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Feeder in Washed Out Tank? - 03/20/17 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
Deer will be vary wary of a feeder in the bottom like that - reduces most of their senses against spotting danger.

Another agreeing. Might make nice bow blind setup for pigs up
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Feeder in Washed Out Tank? - 03/20/17 08:03 PM

The better hunting locations at our place are all low areas near the main draw that goes through the property. The feeders aren't down in the middle (where the water would flow come a big rain), but they're on the 2nd level just outside the draw.

2cents
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Feeder in Washed Out Tank? - 03/20/17 10:44 PM

When did the dam wash out? Has it been long enough for brush and tree's to grow so the deer can move in the area with some cover? If so, it could be a very good spot.
Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Re: Feeder in Washed Out Tank? - 03/21/17 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Wilhunt
When did the dam wash out? Has it been long enough for brush and tree's to grow so the deer can move in the area with some cover? If so, it could be a very good spot.

About 10 years ago and is grown up quite a bit in brush and small tree's and patchy grass. Certain areas still hold a little water after a big rain and remain mucky for months later (Not where I would setup though). It looks like it would be a good spot but my hesitation to commit to this spot has always been the elevation change which it sounds like based on other posts would be the reason this spot may not be as good as it could be if the ground was more level with surroundings. Heading up there this weekend. Will take pics and post up when I get back
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Feeder in Washed Out Tank? - 03/21/17 02:05 PM

Years ago we had a feeder in a location as you describe and it was very good. Go for it..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum