Texas Hunting Forum

Mexico whitetail hunting

Posted By: HK9mm

Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/27/17 09:19 PM

Pros and cons of hunting in Mexico? And, has anyone ever hunted with a man named Paul Kirk down there? Curious to get some reviews of his ranches and his process...
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/28/17 01:35 AM

Pros- great hunting potentially
Cons- you may get your head chopped off.
Posted By: b weezy

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/28/17 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider
roflmao
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/28/17 03:36 AM

The head chopped off part is enough to keep me away.

Good luck
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/28/17 03:38 AM

Lease buddy hunted down there for 3 years, right outside Del Rio. He killed some awesome deer PLUS he became a no-holes-barred, bona-fide whitetail expert par excellence. Just ask him. up
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/28/17 05:49 AM

Will they chop off anything besides your head? I get by without using mine much, as it it. Doubt I'll miss it.
Posted By: Zach S

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/28/17 12:44 PM

There are 6 of us currently on an 8500 acre lease. We had no problems at all and most got nice bucks for the season.
Every area is different I am sure but we are by Eagle Pass and were never in any danger.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/28/17 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Will they chop off anything besides your head? I get by without using mine much, as it it. Doubt I'll miss it.

Look at it this way, they chop off everything BUT your head. grin
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/28/17 01:09 PM

A buddy of mine guided down there for a few years. Lonnie Paul Walker. He is on this forum and can provide advice.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/28/17 01:24 PM

Know of two different groups that hunt Mexico and have done so for many years. They convoy to their ranches and back and have never had any issues except for killing huge bucks on the cheap. The key they say is stay totally out of any of the towns down there. Esp the smaller ones.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/28/17 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Look at it this way, they chop off everything BUT your head. grin

Well, that won't do.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/28/17 03:10 PM

There are some outstanding whitetails down there and further west, some amazing Mule Deer as well....but I am hesitant to go down there and hunt with the current climate and issues that Mexico is experiencing.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/28/17 09:24 PM

Are you zeta or cartel del golfo. ?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/28/17 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: NDN98
There are some outstanding whitetails down there and further west, some amazing Mule Deer as well....but I am hesitant to go down there and hunt with the current climate and issues that Mexico is experiencing.

And, they're a little "miffed" right now.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/29/17 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

Good luck
Posted By: OneShotSam

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/29/17 03:01 PM

Went with Paul a few times years ago. He had some awesome places to hunt, many bucks always had the opportunity to take a nice buck. Never was able to top 170, but had several killed I was there. ....I know many say it's quiet and as it's safe as it's ever been, and I would love to go back because of the great hunting....but for me I've crossed the river for the last time.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/29/17 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider

I try to never lose my head when I am hunting.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 01/31/17 05:21 PM

Why! is my question? We have much bigger deer on much better ranches here in Texas. Why take the chance? I can understand the adventure aspect, but northern Mexico just isn't safe for gringos. For every one of you who have been and had no problems, there are probably a dozen who will never cross the river again.
Posted By: nocknload

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/03/17 04:43 PM

you may never be found again.
Posted By: tannerb80

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/13/17 05:39 PM

I think it's almost all media scare. I was in Sonora hunting mule deer this year, which is considerable safer than across our border, but I never once felt unsafe. It was actually a amazing experience and a great hunt. I'm glad that media does create the scare it does though, keeps Mexico hunting cheap!
Posted By: fredgus

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/13/17 08:17 PM

I hunted mexico from south of falcon dam to around eagle pass spent 30 maybe 31 years there last place we had was the smugglers route we were on the ranch next to the aduna 2nd ck point had a gate on each side people paid 40 each side in and out half going to the border gds we hunted that ranch for the last 10 years and had no issues we used the Columbia bridge only stayed out of town and traveled during day lite also follow another car or Mexican truck only reason im not still there is my hunting buddy died.interesting that the same guy that wont go to mexico is dying to go to Africa but you can walk home from mexico
Posted By: jbguide

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/15/17 09:52 PM

There are just as big of deer in Mexico as there is in Texas. Texas hunting has got out of control. People are out of there mind paying $20,000 to kill a buck. Mexico is truly the last frontier for hunting big natural genetic deer. If you treat the people with respect over there they will do the same. Some of the most hard working nicest people I've met we're in Mexico. I've been hunting for many years in Mexico with no problems. I even drag my bass boat over to some of the lakes and go fishing. Please don't take advice from people that have no first hand experience on hunting in Mexico.
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/16/17 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Why! is my question? We have much bigger deer on much better ranches here in Texas. Why take the chance? I can understand the adventure aspect, but northern Mexico just isn't safe for gringos. For every one of you who have been and had no problems, there are probably a dozen who will never cross the river again.

ha yeah okay, you just continue paying your $10K to $20K a year for your 3K acre place and shoot your little 180 class whitetails. while I pay $3500 for my 20,000 acre place with bear, lions, javs, plus birds, and cowboys to do the work and shoot 200bc inch deer. you probably have never even set foot down in ole Mexico but first to run your mouth!!!!!!!!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/16/17 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: TxBuck

ha yeah okay, you just continue paying your $10K to $20K a year for your 3K acre place and shoot your little 180 class whitetails. while I pay $3500 for my 20,000 acre place with bear, lions, javs, plus birds, and cowboys to do the work and shoot 200bc inch deer. you probably have never even set foot down in ole Mexico but first to run your mouth!!!!!!!!

How many bears, lions and 200" whitetail have you killed?

I'm curious, I watched a show where they hunted a ranch, was incredible looking somewhere in the mountains of Mexico, it looked like Colorado or New Mexico, lots of piņon pines, they had elk, both Rocky Mountain and desert mule deer, black bear and some whitetail.

Place looked incredible
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/16/17 02:52 PM

you sound fun
Posted By: Randallc

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/16/17 04:25 PM

I'm just posting so I can keep an eye on this one. rock_on
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/16/17 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: tannerb80
I think it's almost all media scare. I was in Sonora hunting mule deer this year, which is considerable safer than across our border, but I never once felt unsafe. It was actually a amazing experience and a great hunt. I'm glad that media does create the scare it does though, keeps Mexico hunting cheap!

'
$10,000 for a mule deer is cheap? I've been down there twice, last time in 2006. Not a chance in hades I'd go back down there right now.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/16/17 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: tannerb80

I think your the first person I've ever heard that described mule deer hunting in Sonora as cheap! eek2
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/16/17 07:10 PM

Easy there! peep
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/16/17 10:16 PM

LOL @ TX

Paint with a braid brush much?

Fouz does know Mexico well both fishing and hunting. As far as 180" deer I think this one was well north of 180" in TX.

Posted By: TxBuck

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/16/17 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: JustWingem

LOL @ TX

Paint with a braid brush much?

Fouz does now Mexico well both fishing and hunting. As far as 180" deer I think this one was well north of 180" in TX.

Chingow essay thats a nino where I hunt lol!!!! But nice deer though what did that cost you smile

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/17/17 05:00 AM

Nice buck but I'm pretty sure it was killed behind a high fence. I'm also pretty sure scientific deer are involved some how on the ranch. Have nothing against it, just not my cup of tea.

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/17/17 01:46 PM

Dang Jim, why all the hatred? I never said anything about low or high fence, manufactured deer like the one above or anything else other than no way I would hunt in Mexico and don't understand you guys who do. I completely appreciate the access to big ranches and native deer at a fraction of what it costs to lease a pasture of the same quality in Texas. For you and Txbuck to act like everything in northern Mexico is as safe as can be though? You know better.

I'd rather pay more and stay on this side of the river. Where I can travel freely night or day. That's all.

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/17/17 01:58 PM

I went way back in '91. It was alright I guess.

I won't be going back. I ain't lost nothing down there in head-chopping country.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/17/17 02:44 PM

popcorn I have my own place and don't hunt much anywhere else. But sometimes I'll carry a breakfast taco to the blind with me and pretend I'm south of the river. I do have a High Fence that has about 1 acre enclosed for my garden to keep the deer out. bang
I am guilty of introducing better genetics inside the fence as you should see my tomatoes and watermelons! roflmao

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/17/17 11:54 PM

Fouzman sorry if you took it that I was hating on you. Yes you are right it is not as safe as Texas, but it is also not as bad as people are making it out to be. I guess it just bothers me when people say things like I like my head to much. Or act like your for sure a dead man if you cross the river. In reality they probably have not been in Mexico lately to know what's even going on over there. Again sorry and I wish nothing but good things for you.

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 02/18/17 12:21 AM

Many thanks, Jim. And likewise on the good wishes, amigo. cheers
Posted By: olinecoach

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 03/16/17 03:56 AM

If hunting with reliable outfitter no problem.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 03/16/17 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

Good luck
that's what has kept me from doing a bass fishing trip
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 03/16/17 12:36 PM

Have known Paul for 35 years and have hunted with him in Mexico several times. Just because you're in Mexico does not mean your going to kill a big buck, you have to be on the right ranch. There are a lot of ranches that you'd be lucky to kill a 150" deer on. I've hunted Mexico about 10 times, best buck I ever saw was one about 150". No doubt there are some giants in Mexico but do your homework on ranches, their not all the same.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 03/16/17 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
Have known Paul for 35 years and have hunted with him in Mexico several times. Just because you're in Mexico does not mean your going to kill a big buck, you have to be on the right ranch. There are a lot of ranches that you'd be lucky to kill a 150" deer on. I've hunted Mexico about 10 times, best buck I ever saw was one about 150". No doubt there are some giants in Mexico but do your homework on ranches, their not all the same.

Just like Texas
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 03/16/17 02:46 PM

If you have any openings im interested! PLEASE pm me.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 03/17/17 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: BOONER

X 2 and let me know where to send the deposit!
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 03/18/17 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: tShawnB
Originally Posted By: BOONER

X 2 and let me know where to send the deposit!

I'm still waiting! grin
Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 03/19/17 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: olinecoach
If hunting with reliable outfitter no problem.

That's probably the key. Part of a group of guys I've hunted with off and on for over two decades ended up on a lease (on their own/no guide or outfitter) down there one year back in the mid '90s or so. Don't remember exactly where, but I know they crossed at Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras. First trip down and back was pretty uneventful. But the second trip, they ran into problems and ended up detained by the federalis and basically held and interrogated against their will even though they'd gone through all the necessary steps for transport of firearms/ammo, etc. At first, they figured it was a routine check of some sort, but soon turned into more than that.

In short, they ended up being able to buy their way out of it and got back home, but never even hunted that trip and were too scared to go back even though they'd paid money to hunt through the season.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 03/21/17 01:15 AM

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

Tamaulipas (includes Matamoros, Nuevo Laredo, Reynosa, and Tampico): U.S. citizens should defer all non-essential travel to the state of Tamaulipas due to violent crime, including homicide, armed robbery, carjacking, kidnapping, extortion, and sexual assault. The number of reported kidnappings in Tamaulipas is among the highest in Mexico. State and municipal law enforcement capacity is limited to nonexistent in many parts of Tamaulipas. Violent criminal activity occurs more frequently along the northern border and organized criminal groups may target public and private passenger buses traveling through Tamaulipas. These groups sometimes take all passengers hostage and demand ransom payments. U.S. government personnel are subject to movement restrictions and a curfew between midnight and 6 a.m. Matamoros, Reynosa, Nuevo Laredo, and Ciudad Victoria have experienced numerous gun battles and attacks with explosive devices in the past year.

Coahuila: Violence and criminal activity, including homicide, armed robbery, carjacking, kidnapping, extortion, and sexual assault, pose significant and continuing security concerns, particularly along the highways between Piedras Negras and Nuevo Laredo. U.S. citizens should defer non-essential travel to all parts of Coahuila, with the exception of travel to Saltillo, Bosques de Monterreal, and Parras de la Fuente. U.S. government personnel are only allowed to travel during daylight hours to Saltillo and Bosques de Monterreal, and must abide by an Embassy-imposed curfew of 1 a.m. to 6 a.m. U.S. government personnel may also travel to Parras de la Fuente and on toll Highway 40 to Highway 57 and only during daylight hours. State and municipal law enforcement capacity is limited in some parts of Coahuila, particularly in the north of the state.

Nuevo Leon (includes Monterrey): U.S. government personnel may travel outside the city of Monterrey only during daylight hours on toll roads, and must return to the city of San Pedro Garza Garcia municipal boundaries to abide by the Embassy-imposed curfew of 1 a.m. and 6 a.m., except for travel to the airport after 5 a.m.

Chihuahua (includes Ciudad Juarez, the city of Chihuahua, Ojinaga, Palomas, Nuevo Casas Grandes and Copper Canyon): Criminal activity and violence remains an issue throughout the state of Chihuahua and its major cities. Travel between cities only on major highways and only during daylight hours.

Ciudad Juarez: Exercise caution in all areas. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling after dark west of Eje. Juan Gabriel and south of Boulevard Zaragoza. Defer non-essential travel to the areas southeast of Boulevard Independencia and the Valle de Juarez region.
Within the city of Chihuahua: Defer non-essential travel to the Morelos, Villa, and Zapata districts, where the travel of U.S. government personnel is restricted.
Ojinaga: When possible, travel via U.S. Highway 67 through the Presidio, Texas port-of-entry.
Palomas and the Nuevo Casas Grandes/Paquime region: When possible, travel via U.S. Highway 11 through the Columbus, New Mexico port-of- entry.
Nuevo Casas Grandes: U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling outside of city limits after dark.
Copper Canyon and other areas of the state of Chihuahua: U.S. citizens should defer non-essential travel.

Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Mexico whitetail hunting - 03/22/17 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Zach S
There are 6 of us currently on an 8500 acre lease. We had no problems at all and most got nice bucks for the season.
Every area is different I am sure but we are by Eagle Pass and were never in any danger.

If you think you are never in any danger you are sorely mistaken. Piedras Negras is a very violent place.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum