Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder Placement

Posted By: titan2232

Feeder Placement - 01/12/17 03:57 PM

Currently running a 1500# Lamco timed protein and 85 gallon barrel corn feeder in the same pen that's ten 16' hog panels circular, but it seems the pen gets crowded (15+ deer sometimes)

Thought about moving the corn feeder to another spot (another shooting lane about 100 yds away) and centering the protein feeder in the pen.

How many of you have your feeders separated like this? It might give the does and fawns another place to feed since they get pushed from the pen during peak hours.
Posted By: WesTexHunter75

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/12/17 04:04 PM

Or you could make your protein feeder free choice. That way the other deer can eat when the dominant crows isn't there.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/12/17 04:14 PM

If you have that many deer, I think it makes perfect sense to separate the feeders. Depending on the size of your place, maybe even another protein feeder located in the next 150-200 acres.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/12/17 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: WesTexHunter75
Or you could make your protein feeder free choice. That way the other deer can eat when the dominant crows isn't there.

This. My PF's are all free choice.
Posted By: HWY72

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/12/17 04:52 PM

why not just add a few more panels? seems easier than moving feeders or building an additional pen. adding 4 16ft panels should increase your diameter from ~50ft to ~ 70ft.

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/12/17 04:52 PM

I'd like to go back to free choice, but the travel time and expense just isn't worth it to me. The Lamco has been a great addition as an attractant as several mature bucks bed down inside my pen waiting for the protein to drop.

Another protein feeder is not a bad idea

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/12/17 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY72
why not just add a few more panels? seems easier than moving feeders or building an additional pen. adding 4 16ft panels should increase your diameter from ~50ft to ~ 70ft.

Moving the corn feeder won't be much work and others on the lease without a pen are not having sheep issues since the deer are hitting it early and often.
Posted By: DeadRooster

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/12/17 06:11 PM

I have a similar set up. I moved my corn feeder about 90 degrees and 200 yards from where the feed pen is. What I love about this set up is that I get two spots where deer stop and feed, both huntable from the same stand.

There are deer that I've shot at the unpenned feeder that may not have ever crossed the wet-weather creek and make their way over to the feed pen.

I have since added a second corn feeder to the feed pen, BTW. So I'm feeding to corn feeders and one free-choice protein feeder from this one stand.
Posted By: huntincoach

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/12/17 06:24 PM

I have two feeders...100 yds apart. Always peace of mind living 200mi away...corn should be falling at least in one place.
95% effective this yr. one timer got off by an hour but allows 2 areas per blind and like above stated, the does can run over to the other feeder if uncle buck takes over at one.

I only run one during bow season for obvious reasons (stand placement)
Posted By: mustafa

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/12/17 08:34 PM

can you fill that lamco from the ground?

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/12/17 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: mustafa

I use a small ladder that's kept under my feeder, but it can be filled standing on the trough (I'm 5' 8")
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/12/17 09:10 PM

I'd move one and leave it un penned for hogs or deer that don't like jumping into pens

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/12/17 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I'd move one and leave it un penned for hogs or deer that don't like jumping into pens

My exact thoughts bud. Will be feeding soybean/corn mix thru it instead of straight corn. Should give a lil extra to the does and fawns.
Posted By: mustafa

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/13/17 12:03 AM

Thank you sir. Sorry to hijack. Is the trough heavy duty?
Originally Posted By: titan2232
Originally Posted By: mustafa

I use a small ladder that's kept under my feeder, but it can be filled standing on the trough (I'm 5' 8")
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/13/17 12:12 AM

I've always had them separated.....
Posted By: jaygillespie

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/13/17 10:26 PM

We separate our all the time. About 150-200 yrs apart about 45 degrees to see both from one stand as someone earlier said. Helps those of us that get bored easy!
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/14/17 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Yep, and when you move it, move it to the fence line!!!!!!
bolt roflmao

Re: Feeder Placement - 01/16/17 03:18 PM

Got the feeders filled and broadcast feeder moved about 150 yds away from my protein feeder. Moved the feeder to a known travel route intersection that will be good with a north or south wind.

Set cameras up Friday evening after getting everything moved and filled and swapped SD cards with new before leaving Saturday.

Was surprised to see deer already hitting both feeders and 14 deer (from what I could count since my camera is a little close) at the new spot. Next fill trip is in mid-March and should find plenty of sheds by then.

Counted probably 100+ deer while cruising the lease Friday. Guess they're feeling relaxed with less lease activity
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum