Texas Hunting Forum

Law Clarification.....

Posted By: TiggerV

Law Clarification..... - 01/10/17 06:10 PM

According to the Guidebook....

Special Late Season: During the Special Late Season, harvest is restricted to antlerless deer and unbranched antlered bucks. An unbranched antlered buck is any buck deer with an antler having no more than one point.

Now, I need some help understanding this. If I have Buck, Spike on one side, 5 points on other, I can shoot? If Buck has shed one side but not the other, I can shoot?

The main reason I ask, is that we have a few weirdo bucks on our place where one antler grows DOWN the cheekbone and further, while the other side is a proud traditional, 4 or 5 point. Also, Bucks have been know to shed this early.....Any clarification would be helpful.

Now, the odds are, all I will see is B&C trophies all weekend......
Posted By: rickym

Re: Law Clarification..... - 01/10/17 06:15 PM

Yes you can shoot if it has at least one unbranched antler regardless of what is on the other side
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Law Clarification..... - 01/10/17 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: TiggerV
.. one antler grows DOWN the cheekbone and further...

simple:

Unbranched? -> SHOOT!
Branched --> S.O.L.

Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Law Clarification..... - 01/10/17 06:43 PM

If a buck has shed one antler and the other antler is 2 points of more (all longer than an inch) than you cannot shoot this deer as being an unbranched antlered buck. One side would have nothing on it to measure (missing antler) and the other side has two points or more. But if the antler is broken off and is protruding more than an inch high than that would be considered a unbranched antler. BUT... be aware that if you were to shoot this deer and the break looks "fresh," than you may have a problem explaining this to the game warden.

Re: Law Clarification..... - 01/10/17 09:12 PM

So if one side has shed, that side does not count as unbranched?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Law Clarification..... - 01/10/17 09:20 PM

That is correct, a shed side "Does Not" count as an unbranched antler.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Law Clarification..... - 01/11/17 03:25 PM

Correct, a missing antler does not constitute as "unbranched", just "missing". So the deer would not be legal during special late season.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Law Clarification..... - 01/12/17 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: bossbowman
Correct, a missing antler does not constitute as "unbranched", just "missing". So the deer would not be legal during special late season.

This....... up
Posted By: old raider

Re: Law Clarification..... - 01/16/17 05:52 AM

Tricky.

Re: Law Clarification..... - 01/17/17 08:46 PM

Doesn't matter....

Didn't See anything.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum