Texas Hunting Forum

Thank you Forum members!

Posted By: jrp

Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 12:12 AM

Over a year ago I came upon this forum and really joined only to ask a question regarding cotton seed honestly. But it did not take long for me to become addicted to the forum. I have never posted other than the cotton seed question but I have learned so much and have been very entertained. So I guess I'm posting again really to tell ALL of the forum members thank you for all the entertainment and knowledge gained since then. I hope to become more of an active member. I'm an earlybird, start work at 6am, but I get to work by 445 and most of that time is spent on the forum. I hunt 64 acres of my grandparents farm that I was blessed enough to have handed down to me thru my parents. Literally 10 years ago this was open farmland with not a 1 tree other than the 6 pecans trees my father planted over 40 years ago. My father was a huge hunter in his younger days but by the time he settled down to have us kids, his hunting days were over. So I really didn't grow up around it other than dads mounts on the wall and old photos. I had gone hunting just a few times thru my teen years mainly with friends and had only killed 1 small buck when I was 16 or so off my buddy's place. So going back to our place. When things finally fell into place that I was about to inherit this land I knew right away that I wanted a place to hunt. Dad and I planned on letting it grow up in our native mesquite (we are south Texas). And as we all know it doesn't take long for mesquite to get thick and within a few years we had some cover. Put a feeder up initially with little to no action other than an occasional hog which was still nice as it was something to shoot. So now here we are, 10 years later and we have a very nice little deer population. I have never killed a huge deer by any means but the deer I have killed, are special to me none the less. Knowing that these deer were taken off our family farm which was purchased by my grandparents in 1950, and thru all the hard work thru the years, and now I am able to benefit thanks to them, it means so much to me. I didn't expect this to go this long , just wanted to give a little background from myself. So once again, thank you to the forum for all the good stories and advice and knowledge gained!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 12:41 AM

up Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 01:09 AM

thanks, for becoming part of this family.
Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 01:21 AM

Great post JRP and what a great appreciation for your family, its history, what you have as a result and what you've done with it yourself. That's the best hunting story I've read in a while. It's not always about the antlers.

Keep up the good work!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
up Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: huntincoach

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 02:13 AM

Cool story!
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 02:19 AM

rock_on
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 02:21 AM

Great to have a fellow THF'r. Great story and welcome to the addiction.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: jrp
I have never killed a huge deer by any means but the deer I have killed, are special to me none the less.

That is what it is all about cheers great read
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 12:09 PM

grin
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 12:36 PM

'Glad you're here and welcome. Great read.

Could be any day now a "monster" wanders by and decides to make your land his new sanctuary.
Posted By: Western

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: kmon1
up Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 01:22 PM

Your grandparents I'm sure are so proud of the way you are thankful for what they started for the family.

welcome to the addiction. up
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 01:45 PM

up
Posted By: mdryg1970

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 03:01 PM

Thanks for the story, very enjoyable.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 03:21 PM

Now that you're part of the club you HAVE to choose sides; It's a big decision, so do not take it lightly. Decide whether or not you are going to put up a high fence, whether or not you will put a feeder on a fenceline, and if you will shoot spikes or not.

stir grin

Seriously, welcome
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 04:52 PM

up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
thanks, for becoming part of this family.

Do you hunt deer with a .223....... popcorn
Posted By: KG68

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/06/17 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
Now that you're part of the club you HAVE to choose sides; It's a big decision, so do not take it lightly. Decide whether or not you are going to put up a high fence, whether or not you will put a feeder on a fenceline, and if you will shoot spikes or not.

stir grin

Seriously, welcome

More important. Do you tip at Sonic. rofl

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/10/17 01:19 AM

Haha! No sir I do not but I do hunt with dads Sears Ted Williams model 53, .243 caliber he bought in the 60's. Took the gun apart several years ago and re finished it and cleaned it up and it works like a champ!

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/10/17 01:20 AM

Thanks for all of the positive feedback guys!
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/10/17 02:11 AM

Good story and good job on your property.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/10/17 03:08 AM

Yep, I have a Ted Williams I inherited also but.... the bolt handle is on the wrong side for me
Posted By: HuskerB

Re: Thank you Forum members! - 01/11/17 12:59 PM

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing. You are a lucky man to have been given the opportunity to own your own land to hunt. Probably a decent number of people that inherit land, but not so many that have the appreciation for it to keep it in the family.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum