Texas Hunting Forum

protien sugestions

Posted By: txhunter1010

protien sugestions - 01/05/17 05:12 PM

we have a acquired a free 600 pound protein feeder and are going to start putting out protein.. What brand, type etc do yall use or recommend and is there any alternatives that might work just as good but a little cheaper? thanks
Posted By: Rustler

Re: protien sugestions - 01/05/17 05:35 PM

60lb or 600lb?

Protein feeding is a long term deal & isn’t cheap, improvement in antler growth takes years.
I wouldn’t even think about a protein feeder without a pen surrounding it.
The bigger the better, I use 10 - 14 16' x 34” hog panels arranged in a circle.

Best to use whatever brand you can conveniently get, check feed stores that are local or on the way.
I use antlermax 20%, because that's what the closest feed stores sell.
Lyssy & Eckel 20% is good stuff.
Gorman milling / Red chain makes a good 20% deer protein.

Re: protien sugestions - 01/05/17 05:51 PM

sorry..600lb
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: protien sugestions - 01/05/17 07:53 PM

I feed Antlermax 20%, I'm not sure if it is any better than anything else but my deer like it and I can pick it up at a feed store that is on my way to the ranch.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: protien sugestions - 01/05/17 07:57 PM

I fed Record Rack %20 all of last year and I believe it was around $10 a bag in Sonora.
Posted By: Erich

Re: protien sugestions - 01/05/17 08:05 PM

our protein feeders are not penned and we do not seem to have trouble with the hogs bothering them. I know some people certainly do though. hogs will go check them out and look for what the deer knocked down, but we have not seen any signs that the hogs are shaking them or anything to get feed out of them.

protein feeding is a plan and a commitment. unless you are going to feed a lot of it with a lot of regularity for an extended period of time it will not do anything significant for your deer. it will serve as an attractant like corn.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: protien sugestions - 01/06/17 01:51 AM

Purina antler advantage 20% doesn't have max digestive enzymes but it is 11.99 bag and my deer scarf it up.

Re: protien sugestions - 01/06/17 02:23 PM

the plan is to feed it and feed it regularly and a lot... we have pretty good native deer and genetics as is, but figured it couldn't hurt to try to see if over the next few years of doing some protein and food plots it would up the head gear some..
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: protien sugestions - 01/06/17 02:41 PM

If you want to try a cheaper alternative I feed All Stock pellets. Works great for me as far as a feed supplement and is priced within a buck or two of corn at the feed store where I get it. Of course it won't have all the additives deer pellets have and 12% protein I believe.

Re: protien sugestions - 01/06/17 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
If you want to try a cheaper alternative I feed All Stock pellets. Works great for me as far as a feed supplement and is priced within a buck or two of corn at the feed store where I get it. Of course it won't have all the additives deer pellets have and 12% protein I believe.

do you think it still helps with growth
Posted By: Navasot

Re: protien sugestions - 01/06/17 04:03 PM

use antlermax here but they are all feed
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: protien sugestions - 01/06/17 04:32 PM

We used to use Antlermax but switched to Hunter's Edge 16% a few years ago. It's a couple bucks less a ton.

Re: protien sugestions - 01/06/17 05:13 PM

I don't think it does like the higher protein pellets with the mineral additives. I just use it as a feed supplement with a little higher protein level than corn.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: protien sugestions - 01/06/17 05:14 PM

If you want antler growth and all that good stuff, the book says 16% minimum on protein. When I was feeding I considered 16% as basically a maintenance ration, for growth, body and antler, I would recommend, 18% or 20% max including all the minerals and trace elements deer need. What is good for cattle or sheep is not necessarily good for deer. It's your money though.

edited I typed 29% earlier, don't do it. Anything over 20% is a waste of your money, it will not be digested and leave high protein deer pellets on the ground.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: protien sugestions - 01/06/17 06:57 PM

I stopped using protein mixtures about 8 years ago, when I got on a lease in Comanche. Instead, I have been feeding STAMPEDE which is a soy bean/corn mixture made by Micobe Feed in Hamilton. Its use of roasted soybean provides a 16% protein supplement. The best thing about it, it is moisture resistant and doesn't melt in the rain.

The current market price is @ $10.25 for 50lbs.
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: protien sugestions - 01/06/17 07:44 PM

We use Mumme's 20% and have been very happy with it. Their main store is in Hondo and there are a couple locations scattered around. San Antonio, Pearsall, and I think Rio Medina.

Re: protien sugestions - 01/06/17 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: deerfeeder

If you want antler growth and all that good stuff, the book says 16% minimum on protein. When I was feeding I considered 16% as basically a maintenance ration, for growth, body and antler, I would recommend, 18% or 29% max including all the minerals and trace elements deer need. What is good for cattle or sheep is not necessarily good for deer. It's your money though.

Agreed there is a difference between feed and supplements just not sure what he is after other than options
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: protien sugestions - 01/06/17 09:56 PM

Stampede is good as jdickey suggested just don't use it in a spin feeder. I would go with Record Rack for straight free choice and average out cost with straight corn in your spin feeder. Personally don't feed protein year round, just too expensive, but do try from mid December through March.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: protien sugestions - 01/06/17 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
We used to use Antlermax but switched to Hunter's Edge 16% a few years ago. It's a couple bucks less a ton.

I would too... id use any protein from whichever store would let me contract a certain #of tons each year.. that's if I was feeding like the place I use to be at... they delivered it also ha stubs in Trinity had great service
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum