Texas Hunting Forum

Late season muzzleloader

Posted By: Espy

Late season muzzleloader - 01/03/17 03:50 AM

A couple of the counties I hunt have a late muzzleloader season I have shot them in the past but I did not own one. I bought a TC inline muzzleloader and they are a blast to shoot. Couldn't believe how accurate they are. Anybody else picked one up to extend their hunting season.
Posted By: KCH

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/03/17 04:13 AM

No but I thought about it. What's the cost approximately for a redi-shoot one?
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/03/17 02:50 PM

Not too many to choose from at Cabela's Allen
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/03/17 03:10 PM

Yes I did. TC Triumph
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/03/17 04:28 PM

I bought a CVA Sporter .50 in-line many years ago when they first came out to use in the early muzzleloader season in Ark. Killed many deer with it and now use in our TX extended season. The new models are much more accurate and much better distance than what I have. It's fun.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/03/17 04:48 PM

Have been a muzzleloading fan for 25+ years. Started out with a sidelock kit from Cabelas. Have been shooting a T/C Encore .50 cal for the last 10 years or so. I am originally from Arkansas, and hunted both AR and Oklahoma. There is a distinct advantage to ML hunting those states, as the ML season is two weeks before the rifle season opens, and typically coincides with great pre-rut activity. I have taken some of my best deer during that time. Looking forward to giving some Texas deer the same treatment in the years to come!

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/03/17 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: KCH
No but I thought about it. What's the cost approximately for a redi-shoot one?

I saw some ready to shoot with a scope for around 250. I went a different route because I have the rails rings and scopes. I spent around 100 on bullets, primer,pellets and the cleaning supplies.
Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/03/17 10:21 PM

Today was the last day for 'Alternative Methods' (for me that's MUZZLELOADER) deer season here in Missouri. Sat thru a downpour (two matter of fact) in a ladder stand wondering if my ML would go BOOM if given the chance. Well about 1015 my question was answered- YES!!! Of my three tags only had my 'Antlerless' tag left so a doe it was. Medium size- will make EXCELLENT EATIN! Temperature was 43 degrees when I got on stand at 0650- now it is 35 with forecast of low teens by midnite.
This is only the second deer I have taken with my ML - last one over 10 years ago. Have several hogs with it

Equipment: H&R SIDEKICK 50cal, 100gr Blackhorn 209 powder, 245gr PowerBelt HP, and Fiocci 209 primer.

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/03/17 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: nuprofessor
Today was the last day for 'Alternative Methods' (for me that's MUZZLELOADER) deer season here in Missouri. Sat thru a downpour (two matter of fact) in a ladder stand wondering if my ML would go BOOM if given the chance. Well about 1015 my question was answered- YES!!! Of my three tags only had my 'Antlerless' tag left so a doe it was. Medium size- will make EXCELLENT EATIN! Temperature was 43 degrees when I got on stand at 0650- now it is 35 with forecast of low teens by midnite.
This is only the second deer I have taken with my ML - last one over 10 years ago. Have several hogs with it

Equipment: H&R SIDEKICK 50cal, 100gr Blackhorn 209 powder, 245gr PowerBelt HP, and Fiocci 209 primer.

Congrats on the doe! All this muzzleloader talk has me wanting to get into the game. My county has one until Jan 15th...
Posted By: Hunterwannabe

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/03/17 11:25 PM

I just sighted in my muzzleloader today. Hope to have a successful first time hunting and get some meat in the freezer!! Do you guys shoot your muzzleloader fouled after sighting in? Also do you spot and stalk with primer in or without primer in?
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/04/17 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Hunterwannabe
I just sighted in my muzzleloader today. Hope to have a successful first time hunting and get some meat in the freezer!! Do you guys shoot your muzzleloader fouled after sighting in? Also do you spot and stalk with primer in or without primer in?

Trust me I learned the hard way, the key is to clean it after you shoot it every time. Before you put it up, use solvent, then oil and also remove breech plug and grease it.
Posted By: XMTG

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/04/17 01:21 AM

I borrowed a muzzleloader from a friend today so I could give the late muzzleloader season a try.

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/04/17 02:46 AM

You want to clean in after you sight it in and shoot it one time before hunting. If you are shooting blackhorn 209 just remove the breech plug and spray it down with an oven cleaner and let soak about an hr. It will look better than New when you do this. I clean the barrel with hopps until clean and run a few cloths down it dry. If you are shooting blackhorn it is very easy to clean. Wouldn't recommend anything else.
Posted By: 7six2

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/04/17 02:12 PM

I thought about a traditional style muzzleloader; maybe a Pedersoli that uses percussion caps. Pure sexy.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/04/17 02:19 PM

Soap and water after every shooting session, I think what they mean by shooting a fouled gun before you go out is just popping a percussion cap or two to clear the breach of any oil or residue before you load it.

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/04/17 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: bossbowman
Soap and water after every shooting session, I think what they mean by shooting a fouled gun before you go out is just popping a percussion cap or two to clear the breach of any oil or residue before you load it.

Blackhorn is the cleanest and if you are shooting that you do not use soap and water. Anything else you need to clean almost after every shot. Blackhorn you can shoot numerous times before cleaning. Use a solvent only and use oven cleaner on the breech plug. I would shoot anything else.
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/05/17 03:05 AM

I bought 50cal hawken from cabellas 23 years ago it shoots fine open sights percussion cap side lock I like the old feel trigger is nice I am good to 125 yards with 300 grain 45 cal sabot.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/05/17 03:45 AM

My CVA Wolf 50 caliber will be here tomorrow. I have already bought my cleaning stuff and ammo for it. Just need to get it clean it then head to the range and get it sighted in hopefully tomorrow afternoon and then off the woods on Friday morning with it. Good hunting weather coming in!!
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/05/17 03:50 AM

Also do you spot and stalk with primer in or without primer in?

I wouldnt plan on spotting and stalking in the SAM. Have that predetermined spot to get to at first light like a ground blind and get in it and stay as still as possible and wait for them to move in your area. STAY STILL!!!! because they have excellent vision and can see the slightest movement.

I plan on loading the powder and bullet on the main trail at the last minute right before I head off in to the woods. Once I get in my spot and settled in I will stick in a primer to be totally ready to go.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/05/17 02:52 PM

In case any one else runs into this. Pulled my ML out of closet, pulled my breech plug and flash chamber totally clogged, tried torch tip cleaner to no avail. Found info on another site, said to soak awhile in dawn dish soap and hot water. 20 minutes pulled it out tip cleaner went right through it and clean as a whistle.
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/06/17 12:48 AM

Can you hunt with a bow during muzzleloader season?

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/06/17 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Nathan at Fork
Can you hunt with a bow during muzzleloader season?

Not legally in Texas...
Posted By: MckinneyRifleHunter

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/06/17 05:20 AM

I picked up a CVA wolf and my dad grabbed him a CVA optima. I love these things already. I'm shooting goex black powder in them and they're very accurate with a Hornady 250 grain sabot.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/07/17 01:11 AM

For the money, anything on the CVA line is hard to beat. I have a Optima and purchased a Konuspro - 275 scope. The scope is made for a ML. I am new at this, but am happy with my purchase. I am going deer hunting next week on a ML only hunt at Lake Whitney State Park.
Posted By: millerliteliker

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/08/17 01:01 AM

what is the reasoning behind a late season "muzzleloader" season? To be truthful, I am coming from this as a bow hunter - I have never shot a muzzleloader. Why not give us bow hunters a late season since we have been pretty much screwed since rifle season began back in early November?

Is there some sort of muzzleloader political influence on TPWD that got this started? My son bought a muzzleloader to extend his season and he said those things will shoot just as good at a 200 yard distance as a centerfire. Not sure why they need a separate season?
Posted By: Hunterwannabe

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/08/17 01:23 AM

muzzleloader season isn't unique to texas and many states have them. Depending on the muzzleloader type itself and the powder, ammo etc effective range can be as low as 50 yards to 200+ yards. So there is a huge variation.
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/08/17 02:27 AM

I had a T/C Renegade about 20 years ago and just scored a LH .50 cal Renegade in mint condition last month. I will definitely be heading out this week and plan to get out at least 4 times or how ever many times it takes to fill the 3 tags I have left. In Leon county (Centerville) you can take two doe's during the muzzleloader season just like archery season rules. Doe season is usually only during Thanksgiving weekend during the general season but this year it was from the beginning of the season November 5th till the 20th. I should have tagged out on doe's during that time but I couldn't get out with my back healing up. Thank God for muzzleloader season because I am down to 10 bags left of deer meat in the freezer. We have a big body spike walking around the property that I am hoping to get for the one spike buck that I can take. Here's a pic from the sellers post of the T/C Renegade LH rifle that I scored. Even the old school muzzleloader's are highly accurate.

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/08/17 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: bowbuilder1971
I had a T/C Renegade about 20 years ago and just scored a LH .50 cal Renegade .

That's one nice looking muzzleloader good luck on your doe hunt
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/08/17 07:40 PM

It's funny that some bow hunters squawk because they don't get a late season bow hunt, but they don't seem to squawk about their month long "early" season hunt, and that is statewide! There is absolutely no reason why a statewide muzzle loader season can't be installed - one early and one late! New Mexico, Kansas, Arkansas all have early muzzle load season that is statewide! Yet Texas groans because they have given a late season muzzle load hunt, but only for east Texas!
Posted By: jmhartt

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/08/17 08:16 PM

I kinda wonder the reasoning behind it also. Maybe extra population control? My friend shot a doe in ML season that had two embryos in it

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/08/17 09:37 PM

My question about the muzzleloader season has to do with the fact that today's muzzleloaders are definitely NOT primitive type weapons with limited range. They have progressed to 200+ yard killing weapons that certainly do not "limit" a hunter like a compound bow does with 40 yard capability. And from what I have been reading about muzzleloaders, 300+ yard ranges will be here soon with the constant improvements in these long guns and optics.

Texas already has a two month long rifle season (much longer than alot of states). Yes as a bow hunter I would like to see a longer "bow only" season than four weeks, which is MUCH shorter than many deer hunting states.

I just realized just in the past few years that when someone mentioned "muzzleloader" they were not talking about some sort of "Davey Crocket" type of long gun like I saw on TV. I was shocked when I first started to realize how advanced these things were.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/08/17 10:01 PM

Last year I applied for several draw deer hunts. I was lucky to be selected for one, and did not realize that it was a muzzle loader only hunt. I now have a ML that I was not planning on getting. I am a beginner at this, but can say that it has allowed me to experience something new. I think it is important as outdoors men to support all opportunities that are available.
Posted By: MckinneyRifleHunter

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/08/17 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: millerliteliker
My question about the muzzleloader season has to do with the fact that today's muzzleloaders are definitely NOT primitive type weapons with limited range. They have progressed to 200+ yard killing weapons that certainly do not "limit" a hunter like a compound bow does with 40 yard capability. And from what I have been reading about muzzleloaders, 300+ yard ranges will be here soon with the constant improvements in these long guns and optics.

Texas already has a two month long rifle season (much longer than alot of states). Yes as a bow hunter I would like to see a longer "bow only" season than four weeks, which is MUCH shorter than many deer hunting states.

I just realized just in the past few years that when someone mentioned "muzzleloader" they were not talking about some sort of "Davey Crocket" type of long gun like I saw on TV. I was shocked when I first started to realize how advanced these things were.
whats stopping you from using a bow and arrow during general season? I hunt archery, general season, and now muzzleloader season. You have almost 3 months you can use a bow, and a 2 weeks muzzleloader season at the end of the year isn't gonna hurt your hunting. The drawback to muzzleloader a is you only get 1 shot, I personally think that's probably the reasoning behind the "new" season

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/08/17 11:41 PM

I DO bow hunt all through the general season. But the 8 weeks of rifle hunters greatly affects the deer movement once they start blasting away. I don't know the harm in letting bow hunters hunt with their bows during muzzleloader season just like we are allowed to do during the general "centerfire" season.

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/09/17 09:40 PM

I DO bow hunt all through the general season. But the 8 weeks of rifle hunters greatly affects the deer movement once they start blasting away. I don't know the harm in letting bow hunters hunt with their bows during muzzleloader season just like we are allowed to do during the general "centerfire" season.

I'm a bowhunter too, but I have no problems with the black powder guys getting their own 2 week season in January, we have 3 months to bowhunter before them, don't be greedy, would you rather them put ML season in October. And don't complain, 7 years ago we almost lost our October archery season in TX to rifles, we did lose it to MLD land. I am very appreciative we have such a long archery season, don't take it for granted wink

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/10/17 02:55 PM

We're seeing alot of ML's and black powder supplies sold this year, 32 additional counties now have a muzzle loader only season. I'm guessing TPW saw the resource could handle the extras hunting days and that there would be a positive economic impact on goods sold and money hunters spend on lodging food etc. on extra days in the field.

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/13/17 04:01 PM

Last call for muzzleloader season this weekend! Jan 15th it closes...Good Luck to All!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/13/17 07:20 PM

I think the original idea of the muzzle loader seasons was to give the hunter a chance of having a season similar to the archers where the deer wouldn't be spooked and harder to harvest because of the need for close range shots.
Well that all went out the window when gun manufacturers saw there was a way to make a profit by coming up with high tech muzzleloaders to cash in on the new seasons.
Now with the advancements made there is little difference and the advantage goes to the hunter because of his choice of a modern weapon with the only difference is it loads from the muzzle.
No backing away now, so just extend the season and call it what it is.

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/14/17 04:23 AM

that is kind my point - what in the heck is so hard about killing a deer with a muzzleloader anymore? I don't see the point.

Texas already has one of the shortest archery only seasons of any of the Whitetail states - why not give us the last two weeks of the "extended" season to bow hunt without having to compete with high powered rifles?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/15/17 04:15 PM

that is kind my point - what in the heck is so hard about killing a deer with a muzzleloader anymore? I don't see the point.

Texas already has one of the shortest archery only seasons of any of the Whitetail states - why not give us the last two weeks of the "extended" season to bow hunt without having to compete with high powered rifles?

Actually having a separate muzzleloader season is a little stupid because there is no reason now, as mentioned above with the advancements in technology, and you can use a front loader during the regular season as well. So just extend the season for everyone.
You can say the same for those who choose the bow but that's an entirely new argument.
TPWD doesn't take into account that seasons need adjustment if what they are trying to do is management.
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Late season muzzleloader - 01/15/17 05:10 PM

I enjoy all seasons I bow hunt when the season is right.I pick up my scoped 25-06 when I want during gun season also do some bow hunting during gun season and look forward to many seasons of blk powder only. We get bow only season stop sniveling about blk powder not all bows are the same and they added crossbow those things shoot farther than you can see in east Texas .I use hawken sidelock .50 cal 150 year old tec. This as bows go would be akin to Indian short bow. Heck my compound bow cost 10 times what old hawken did you do what you want and let others do what they love. What a GREAT country we live in God Bless America And Donald Trump!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum