Texas Hunting Forum

Live from young county

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Live from young county - 01/02/17 10:30 PM

You all thought deer season was over right? One of the Benny's of kids is the extended youth season. Will be out tonight and Saturday eve (unless we seal the deal tonight) trying to get some deer for my youngest and a buck for my son. Youngest daughter has shot a couple in years past so it isn't her first, but she would
Love to shoot a buck larger than a spike. She will settle for anything though as she just hasn't had the time this year to hunt with me.

Son wants antlers. He has drilled a doe already this year so has some steaks in the making, but wants to best his dad (me) who shot a decent 9 already and is out of the game for this season. Truth be told my son and daughter have both our hunted me the last couple of seasons as I have played more guide than hunter. I have fun in both roles.

It's warm but nice and breezy to keep the heat off. Feeder ground was covered in fresh tracks from the rain this am. Hope they show up in daylight tonight!
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Live from young county - 01/02/17 10:51 PM

Young County (and some others) - also has 'special late' season 1/2 -- 1/15 / antlerless/spike .... for ADULTS !

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/counties/young/#white-tailed-deer

http://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20170102b

Re: Live from young county - 01/02/17 10:55 PM

Well I do know about the late doe and spike season, so technically I am
Still in the game, but since I have nailed a couple deer this season already I am
Officially in guide mode again. My kids like it better when I am guide and not hunter confused2

Re: Live from young county - 01/02/17 11:50 PM

Sunset, wind died down. Nothing moving at our treestand yet. Son has some doe out in front of him so we will see if anything comes out in a bit
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Live from young county - 01/02/17 11:52 PM

Good luck

Re: Live from young county - 01/03/17 04:44 AM

Son shot a doe so his sister cold field dress it, at her request. We had 6 doe come in but they were super jumpy and never gave us a shot. First time in that stand where deer actually knew we were there and they knew from the get go. But my daughter got her hands bloody and enjoyed the trip. Next year we will get her out more often.

Will be out Saturday in the cool looking for a buck for the son.

Re: Live from young county - 01/03/17 04:46 AM

Oh and in the rush to get the doe on ice and back home (someone has to work in the morning even if the kids have another day off) I forgot to take pics....sorry

Re: Live from young county - 01/07/17 10:35 PM

Ok back at it. Hoping to get the son a antlered deer. Have 4 doe and n front of us as I write this and had 6 in the field we ran off when we got here. Should be a fun evening hunt. Wind is calm, temp
Is cool and sun is out. Will keep everyone posted.

Re: Live from young county - 01/07/17 10:54 PM

Approx 17 doe out now. Ranging from 130-200 yards out. Waiting for
Mr big to show

Re: Live from young county - 01/07/17 11:13 PM

And something spooked them off. Still some time for big one to show. Cows aren't helping much right now tho bang
Posted By: txstknight7

Re: Live from young county - 01/08/17 12:33 AM

so how did it end up

Re: Live from young county - 01/08/17 01:52 AM

Well, just sitting down for dinner. So no bucks with antlers worth shooting. We did end up seeing a couple spikes and they came out with some doe, but nothing bigger. At the end of shooting light we had about 50 deer alll around us but all doe or spikes. Was a busy night with deer moving from every direction and even had some coyotes come in (dang why did they have to run by the time I got the gun on them, took a running shot but lead that one a little too far and it bolted). Anyway, fun night. Been a good year so far, but son is bummed as he has been buckless for two years now. It's hunting. It's just frustrating seeing so many deer and so few bucks!
Posted By: old raider

Re: Live from young county - 01/16/17 05:57 AM

Same here Texas buckeye.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum