Texas Hunting Forum

East TX - Omaha, Naples Area

Posted By: Brother Phil

East TX - Omaha, Naples Area - 12/01/16 07:08 PM

I am on a lease in Morris County. I took a nice 8-point opening week. I have not seen much since. There is a great acorn crop. I talked to another hunter whose property borders the lease, and same story. Very few deer seen. I am thinking it is because of the acorns. Any thoughts?
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: East TX - Omaha, Naples Area - 12/01/16 07:13 PM

East Texas deer are very savvy. Especially the older bucks.

East Texas bucks don't go to the feeder like other parts of the state. They keep their heads down, except during the rut. My experience anyway.

Acorns and brush are my problem. I moved my cameras from feeders to trails, to see deer.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: East TX - Omaha, Naples Area - 12/01/16 10:41 PM

I live in the area. Saw good numbers during the rut, but it has slowed down. We have been chasing ducks. With the hard freeze coming next week, we get after the deer again.
Posted By: rbw1

Re: East TX - Omaha, Naples Area - 12/02/16 02:29 AM

Have a place on the Sulfur River, this time of year the rut is over an them bucks pretty much lay low and rest up . It gets real hard hunting not impossible but darn tough for about 2 to 3 weeks. Next good shot is Christmas to end of season we get a little secondary rut about that time actually my favorite time to hunt to get a biggun it usually wet very cold and miserable and I don't see a lot of deer like earlier and very few bucks at all and takes will power to stick it out but if you see one he's usually a goodun. The largest east tex buck I've taken was after Christmas.
Posted By: Skipetex

Re: East TX - Omaha, Naples Area - 12/02/16 03:51 PM

I live 12 miles southeast of Naples. It is hard hunting. I have found tho that after the acorns run out I have better luck by hand corn under the same acorn trees that they were feeding from initially. They are already used to that being a food source area. Just my 2 cents but maybe it will help out. Good luck
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum