Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting in high winds?

Posted By: foodieguy

Hunting in high winds? - 12/01/16 03:26 AM

I hunted this past weekend and the winds were blowing consistently 10-15 with higher gusts. The deer (does and young bucks) that were coming to the feeder seemed more skittish than what I've seen in few years that I've been hunting.

Do high winds have an effect on their behavior?
What can you do to take advantage of the situation?
And does the higher wind speed tend to scatter your scent faster (good?) or push it farther downwind than normal maybe spooking deer farther away?

thx
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/01/16 03:51 AM

I have had zero luck in high wind.

Went out Monday, nothing. I hunt where it's thick, they don't have to move far, just roll over and eat some acorns.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/01/16 03:55 AM

I have had some luck in high wind, but yes they are definitely more wary. Generally, if the forecast calls for high wind I will move to hunting lower country like creek bottoms, protected draws. It's worked for me. You can also use the wind to your advantage from a scent and noise perspective if you play it right.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/01/16 03:56 AM

10-15 doesn't seem to bother mine but if it gets up around 25-30, they will get a little jumpy.

I have found it depends on the terrain that you are hunting. In Kansas, the deer will pile up on the wood line of the fields waiting to enter the open country. In Texas, the deer seem to like the very middle of the open pastures better.

My favorite thing to do in high wind is stalk into the wind.
Posted By: KnoxCityNate

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/01/16 12:11 PM

Last weekend had really high winds and I saw nothing
Posted By: TX TCAT

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/01/16 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

This.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/01/16 05:08 PM

Two weeks ago the wind was blowing 20, gusting 30, when I shot my 10 pt. He came in along the leeward side of a tree line, hitting the oaks as he went. The wind will blow, but they still gotta eat.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/01/16 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
I have had zero luck in high wind.

My experience as well. Sure they have got to still eat, but the wind doesn't blow forever, just like ive never seen much of anything in a pouring rain, but if it stops for 10 min you never know.
Posted By: elbob

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/01/16 06:15 PM

I shot a doe with the high wind.

From the Take a number going on at Kuby's when i dropped off some quarters i know at least 40 people had some luck. Took me about 40 minutes just to drop off. they were on number 376 then i snagged my number of 404 and i know the numbers were at least to 427 then i left with more trucks trying to find a place to park.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/01/16 06:34 PM

Hunt the thickest, lowest country you can during real high winds. They get jumpy because high winds mess with their smell and hearing, their two most effective defenses. All the brush and trees waving around wildly also make them much more spooky.

We flew a helicopter census on our place yesterday and it was super windy. We know approximately how many deer we have on the ranch due to all the trail cams we run. Observed less than 40% of our deer and -0- mature bucks, of which there are many. That's why I think helicopter surveys are basically worthless, even with extrapolation. Unfortunately, they are expensive and a necessary evil of having MLD III status.

I'll promise you those mature bucks and many other deer were in the thickest creek bottom brush they could find.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/02/16 04:33 AM

White-tail are normally skittish. When every thing is moving and making noise, they go into sensory overload. My experience is that they'll be jumpy. Spook and run for no apparent reason other than wind.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/05/16 01:37 PM

I also find high winds make for far less movement and those that move are as jumpy as hell!!!!!!!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/05/16 02:32 PM

High winds can help you pinpoint deer depending on what type of terrain your hunting.

On our ranch if you hunt the headers that block the wind you will find the deer there. up
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/05/16 02:59 PM

This is kinda like the rain deal, it depends on where you are hunting. Deer out west and in the Panhandle are more tolerant of the wind than they are back east or south. 10-15 mph wind is just a breeze out west and will not affect deer movement at all. I agree that the wind need to get to puffing over 25 to have much affect on deer movement in the Panhandle or Trans Pecos. But what the heck do I know?
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: bfrog5

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/05/16 03:39 PM

can definitely happen if you're targeting the thick brush in lower altitude but it'll be worth it to wait for better conditions
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Hunting in high winds? - 12/05/16 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: TX TCAT
Originally Posted By: txshntr

This.

For sure, it conceals movement and noise.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum