Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone else ready for the rut to be over with?

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Anyone else ready for the rut to be over with? - 11/30/16 02:36 PM

This is the second deer season that I have owned my place. For two years in a row all my mature bucks leave during the rut. I have a lot more bucks than does around even though most are young. We have not taken a doe from our place yet hoping to get their numbers up at some point and make the bucks want to stay. My immediate area is not heavily pressured as far as hunting goes but someone near by apparently has a lot more does than I do. I'm just ready for them to get back on a feeding pattern so maybe they will come back.
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: Anyone else ready for the rut to be over with? - 11/30/16 03:21 PM

I'm in the same boat. I was out last weekend and only saw two does in 4 sits and probably a dozen different 1-2 yr old bucks. Did see one mature buck but he was broken off. I would be worried about not seeing any mature bucks if the does had been present but since they were both missing I figure they're holed up somewhere. Once we get a good hard freeze the big boys will start hitting the feeders again.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Anyone else ready for the rut to be over with? - 11/30/16 03:29 PM

yes
Posted By: Stub

Re: Anyone else ready for the rut to be over with? - 11/30/16 05:04 PM

NO,No heck No. I have had my Butt planted in this blind way to many days and hours. Seen many does and bucks passed on a real nice one twice and dummied up passing on a bruiser in hopes that my daughter might get a shot at him hammer Please almighty deer kahuna give me one more chance at him.
Unfortunately the rut is pretty much toast here in Jacksboro, now just trying to get real lucky! (Sounds like the old single days grin)
Good luck!

Picture of a nice one that I watched for about 10 minutes in the field and feeder, another year he will be a dandy I hope.

Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Anyone else ready for the rut to be over with? - 11/30/16 06:19 PM

I am ready for it to head towards post rut. The big boys have to look a little harder and move more. I generally see the best deer then.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Anyone else ready for the rut to be over with? - 11/30/16 06:22 PM

Rut, acorns or both nothing is coming to corn but hogs on my place. The doe will be back after the rut and then the rut weary bucks begin to trickle in but usually at night.
Posted By: JMalin

Re: Anyone else ready for the rut to be over with? - 11/30/16 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
NO,No heck No. I have had my Butt planted in this blind way to many days and hours. Seen many does and bucks passed on a real nice one twice and dummied up passing on a bruiser in hopes that my daughter might get a shot at him hammer Please almighty deer kahuna give me one more chance at him.
Unfortunately the rut is pretty much toast here in Jacksboro, now just trying to get real lucky! (Sounds like the old single days grin)
Good luck!

Picture of a nice one that I watched for about 10 minutes in the field and feeder, another year he will be a dandy I hope.

That buck is at least 6.5 and I doubt will improve much with another year. He is what he is.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Anyone else ready for the rut to be over with? - 11/30/16 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Jkd106
I am ready for it to head towards post rut. The big boys have to look a little harder and move more. I generally see the best deer then.

same here, mid December is my favorite time...
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Anyone else ready for the rut to be over with? - 12/01/16 12:59 AM

The rut in my part of the world ain't even started yet. I'm ready for it and some cooler/cold weather.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Anyone else ready for the rut to be over with? - 12/01/16 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: JMalin
Good luck!

That buck is at least 6.5 and I doubt will improve much with another year. He is what he is.

X2. He would been a cull 2 years ago
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Anyone else ready for the rut to be over with? - 12/01/16 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet
Originally Posted By: JMalin
Good luck!

X2. He would been a cull 2 years ago

I agree...and at his age I'm not sure another year will do much to help him...especially considering how outstanding this years been for antler growth.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum