Texas Hunting Forum

Late Rut in Haskell

Posted By: DirtyHarry

Late Rut in Haskell - 11/29/16 12:20 AM

I hunt on the West Side of Haskell County near rule and havent seen a lot of hard rut activity. Very young bucks last week (spikes and 4 points chasing) and this past weekend I saw a bunch of 2.5-4.5 bucks starting to chase. But even they werent running like crazy. Anyone else seeing the same thing around the area or anywhere? It has been so warm out there I just feel like they havent all caught on yet?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Late Rut in Haskell - 11/29/16 01:31 AM

Have a friend that hunts near Rule. He's saying the same thing....Of course that's the story for lots of us. Warm weather seemed to shut down daytime movement, along with a "super" moon and plenty of grub. Good news is, this weekend a cool front and a "new" moon. Good luck
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Late Rut in Haskell - 11/29/16 02:36 AM

I was in Stonewall county early last week and thought the rut was on.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Late Rut in Haskell - 11/29/16 02:55 AM

Same as last year.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Late Rut in Haskell - 11/29/16 11:27 AM

We're just now starting to see the big boys get interested, should have decent activity up to January. They were way late this year.
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Late Rut in Haskell - 11/29/16 01:22 PM

The rut is just getting started in hunt county starting to see big bucks not really Chasing

Re: Late Rut in Haskell - 11/29/16 01:55 PM

A big doe standing by locust tree can sure get you excited until you put the binoculars on her
Posted By: GLC

Re: Late Rut in Haskell - 11/29/16 02:29 PM

Red River rut has been going since second week in November.
Posted By: DirtyHarry

Re: Late Rut in Haskell - 11/29/16 07:47 PM

Thanks for the input boys.. I shot my last three bucks in the first two weeks of December and after I stopped in the Clear Fork processor in Graham (highly recommend), they had me convinced I missed the rut to the point where I was almost in tears haha! I think they will start moving this week and full swing this weekend and next week.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Late Rut in Haskell - 11/29/16 09:38 PM

There is some interesting data from TPWD regarding timing of the rut by region. I believe it was based on a 3 year study and they provide the data graphs. I hunt in the Rotan and Aspermont area. According to the study, the rut in this area starts around mid November and ends early December. These are averages of course, but I thought the study was interesting.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/planning/rut_whitetailed_deer/
Posted By: Tops360Ranch

Re: Late Rut in Haskell - 11/29/16 10:08 PM

Yeah, I hunt out that way too. I seen a coyote with a field rat runnin across the field. He must have stepped in hole - he was movin fast. When he stumbled that rat went jumpin out of his mouth and ran into the grass. Right then, I looked up there were two shooter bucks down the fence line. One had a doe pinned with her head gettin thrashed in the barbed wire, the other buck was smaller but trying to gore the other buck while he was tryin to get some coochie. Ain't never seen anything like it. Couldn't get a shot on the deer but I shot the coyote. Think his leg was broken cause he was limping pretty good. I went to Stripes to get gas on my way home and an old man had three coyote pelts and said i could have them! My wife is making a really nice blanket for my spank couch in my shop.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Late Rut in Haskell - 11/29/16 11:08 PM

eek2 spank couch?????????
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Late Rut in Haskell - 11/29/16 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
There is some interesting data from TPWD regarding timing of the rut by region. I believe it was based on a 3 year study and they provide the data graphs. I hunt in the Rotan and Aspermont area. According to the study, the rut in this area starts around mid November and ends early December. These are averages of course, but I thought the study was interesting.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/planning/rut_whitetailed_deer/

I have found that to be fairly reliable at least as far as Haskell County

Re: Late Rut in Haskell - 11/29/16 11:27 PM

amen brother right on!!!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum