Texas Hunting Forum

Question for those with feed pens...

Posted By: tx hunter

Question for those with feed pens... - 11/24/16 06:26 AM

I have noticed that there are several spots in both my pens where the top rail on the panel is bent outward where deer have hit it jumping out. I'm assuming that's what caused it. The panels are 50" tall cattle panels. I was thinking about cutting the top two squares out of the panels to maybe cure that problem. Also, another reason for wanting to cut down the panels is that (maybe I'm crazy) I honestly think that some deer are lazy and don't wanna make that leap lol. I did a not so scientific test where I kept the gate on the pens open for several months and had 4-8 deer in the pens at a given time. Closed the gates and I had maybe 2 or 3 deer at a time. I think removing two squares out of the panel will still keep it plenty tall to keep cows out and maybe make it more inviting to deer. What's yalls thoughts?
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/24/16 07:21 AM

We use hog panels at 34 inches high and never had cows in them in 3 years. One place years ago I did but guess the one cow was just stupid. He did tear up my panels. I would cut out some sections and try it.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/24/16 12:51 PM

50 is way too high IMO. I wouldn't go over 36.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/24/16 12:57 PM

The taller panels I do think deter some deer. Cutting some openings down to about 3 foot high may help. Also, how big/wide is your pen? Deer don't like to be confined and that might also be a contributing factor if it is small.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/24/16 01:28 PM

Mine are cut down and deer still hit it on the way out and bending the tops.
Posted By: royd2500

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/24/16 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

X2
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/24/16 02:23 PM

That's what I do. I buy the cattle panels, they are cheaper than hog panels. Then I cut 2 squares off with bolt cutters. I have 5 pens built this way, and work great.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/24/16 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
We use hog panels at 34 inches high and never had cows in them in 3 years. One place years ago I did but guess the one cow was just stupid. He did tear up my panels. I would cut out some sections and try it.

This ^^.

I also do 2 cut outs per pen down to about 30 inches. I have seen twice this year, yearling does just kicked of by mom go to those sections to jump in the pen. Never had a cow get into pens in the 5 years I've had em up.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/24/16 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Jkd106
That's what I do. I buy the cattle panels, they are cheaper than hog panels. Then I cut 2 squares off with bolt cutters. I have 5 pens built this way, and work great.

^^^^^

Always use a feeder pen up
Posted By: tx hunter

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/24/16 04:38 PM

Thanks guys. I definitely don't think the deer feel confined. One pen is 80' diameter and the other is 101'.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/24/16 07:49 PM

Yep. Pens should be big enough.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/24/16 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Posted By: Cmercertx

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/24/16 11:32 PM

Texas Agrilife Extension did a study. They determined the optimum is the 34" panels, with optional fawn cutouts at 28". Using a minimum of 8 panels at 16' each. Two posts per panel.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/25/16 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Cmercertx
Texas Agrilife Extension did a study. They determined the optimum is the 34" panels, with optional fawn cutouts at 28". Using a minimum of 8 panels at 16' each. Two posts per panel.

cheers
Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/25/16 06:56 AM

A&M also did a study and found 34" panel in a 30' diameter pen (6 panels), didnt inhibit any deer movement at the feeder. Taller or smaller will.
Posted By: LM1

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/30/16 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Cmercertx

We do this, still fawns won't jump in. They feed around the perimeter though.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/30/16 12:47 PM

Tag
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Question for those with feed pens... - 11/30/16 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Jkd106

That is what we have done too, but piglets up to 20 or so lbs can still get in. Will probably go hog panel next go round. Also with 2 squares cut off the top the deer still run into it on the way out and bow them a little.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum